Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Cordless Weed Wacker... - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 04-25-2021, 07:30 PM
Keeper

Default Cordless Weed Wacker...

I have a Craftsman weed wacker with various attachments and while it is 4 stroke, it is gas operated and I am getting tired of pulling the rope for starting. Have any of my friends here at Walleye Central had any success with the newer cordless weed wackers? Are there any heavier built? I am looking for one that is fairly rugged and has easy string release/advancement... Thanks for your opinion...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2021, 07:36 PM
Wallhanger

I really like my dewalt cordless. But it is the 60 volt flexvolt one. I use the non dewalt black string. That has some rough edges. Might be called black diamond. I think the regular 20 volt cordless weed eater are not strong enough. Plus allot of them you have to use the thinner string. Does not last long.

Last edited by Snowking; 04-25-2021 at 07:51 PM.
Old 04-25-2021, 07:37 PM
tired of mixing gas

Default tired of mixing gas

Curious as to responses, was wondering same thing. Finally broke down and bought battery chainsaw yesterday. Only trim trees with fairly small branches. Cut maybe once in spring and fall. Sick of mixing fuel for it just for that, looking to convert trimmer as well as blower to battery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2021, 07:58 PM
Wallhanger

If you already use battery operated tools, I’d try that brand first (ie, DeWalt tools, try their trimmer and blower first before investing in another platform). Personally, I have Milwaukee tools and have been using their trimmer and blower commercially for the last 4 years. I run the 9 amp batteries with it, and they last all day (I have 1 account that has 126 Walnut trees to trim - no problem!! Still have half a battery left). I do have Redmax gas trimmers and a Stihl backpack blower too for my bigger stuff, so I don’t just use battery stuff. I put a speed feed 400 on the trimmer (super easy to load) and run the Echo .95 orange line on it. I’ve run .105 no problem too. Only diff is the amount of line you can put on. Black diamond is good too as was noted above. I just prefer the forgiveness of the orange.

I know some folks who have invested thousands in the Ego equipment. Their batteries are decent and there are a lot of tools if desired. That being said, you really gotta pay to play with that stuff. I think it’s kind of a niche thing ..... but really it comes down to your specific situation. Larger batteries run longer, but cost more too.

I will say, on that account with all the trees, it’s one of my favorite places to trim. There’s no engine noise between trees .... Peaceful, birds chirping, just awesome.

Last edited by Derwood; 04-25-2021 at 08:02 PM.
Old 04-25-2021, 08:07 PM
Wallhanger

I've been switching over to Milwaukee M12/M18 tools, so I bought their Fuel trimmer. Not quite as good as my Stihl gas unit, but easier to use, so I'm more inclined to grab the cordless for a quick clean-up.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauke...21HD/300272796

HRG
Old 04-25-2021, 08:19 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by tired of mixing gas View Post
Curious as to responses, was wondering same thing. Finally broke down and bought battery chainsaw yesterday. Only trim trees with fairly small branches. Cut maybe once in spring and fall. Sick of mixing fuel for it just for that, looking to convert trimmer as well as blower to battery.
Stihl, and some of the other manufacturers, are adding accessories to their battery operated lineup. Consider what accessories would be handy, buy one unit with charger and batteries, and buy the rest of the accessories as bare units. Stihl offers chain saws, trimmers, leaf blowers, gravel rakes and light garden tillers that use the same chargers and batteries. Dewalt offers tools ranging from flashlights to chainsaws that use their 20v batteries. Do a google search of battery tool manufacturers before you buy.
Old 04-26-2021, 06:25 AM
Wallhanger

my oldest boy bought a cordless big weed eater and loves it after looking at the guy's next door..

its a stihl.. and i finally quit screwing around with chainsaws and bought a stihl the other day but not a battery type..

you get what you pay for.. i learned stihl chainsaw from the 80's and 90's still sell for 2-3 hundred used
Old 04-26-2021, 07:20 AM
Wallhanger

slowly converting my fleet of equipment over to electric. I have a dewalt saw, 13" bar i believe. great for 95% of my cutting/trimming. I have about 4 acres of buckthorn i'm slowly clearing. so i would cut a 4" tree, wrestle it to the chipper, then cut another. With a gas saw it would die, spend about 50% of my energy out there starting the darn thing. Electric works everytime. I get about 2hours worth of work out of it before it needs a charging.

I also bought a cheap weed whip about 5 years ago. black/deck. runs like a champ.

Next up is a blower. current one wont start. I'll switch to electric on that this summer as well.
Old 04-26-2021, 07:23 AM
Wallhanger

I have both Milwaukee and Ryobi tools. I bought the brushless 18volt Ryobi trimmer. It has two speeds and I have never turned it to high except to show it off. It is absolutely a beast.
Old 04-26-2021, 08:07 AM
Keeper

I have a 58 volt Echo trimmer and it does a very good job. I also have a blower that is powered by the same size 58V battery.