Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Northwestern Wisconsin Questions - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 09-19-2021, 09:33 AM
Keeper

Default Memories

This post brings out memories. My family went yearly starting in the 60's. I have not been to Long since 9/11. We were at Hobo's for the week. I am forgetting the prior name.

We used to stay at Burdick's now called Pioneer before Don and Connie owned it as well as Doug and Bonnie Johnson's called the Oak Room at the time. Bobby Schmidt's, Dave's Outboard, Sliz' and other forgotten names. Marawaraden had the only pay phone. Great old times. Perhaps time for another visit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2021, 12:41 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Ike View Post
This post brings out memories. My family went yearly starting in the 60's. I have not been to Long since 9/11. We were at Hobo's for the week. I am forgetting the prior name.

We used to stay at Burdick's now called Pioneer before Don and Connie owned it as well as Doug and Bonnie Johnson's called the Oak Room at the time. Bobby Schmidt's, Dave's Outboard, Sliz' and other forgotten names. Marawaraden had the only pay phone. Great old times. Perhaps time for another visit.
It is all still pretty much the same, some of the names have changed. Like Dave's Outboard is still Dave's Outboard, originally founded by Dave Kleven, now run by his son Jim and his wife Twyla. The scout camp over on the east side of the lake has gotten bigger - I think they now own something like 12 or 13 miles of shoreline on that side of the lake. But Long hasn't been ruined by beach clubs and housing developments like Cedar and we aim to keep it that way.
Old 09-19-2021, 06:00 PM
Charter Member

I'm in Trego and know the area pretty well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2021, 01:59 PM
Slot Fish

Been going to the Gordon/Solon area for more than 40 years and own property there. Douglas county is the poorest county in the state. Larger tracts of land are easily attainable and very fair prices. Hunting and fishing opportunities are everywhere and very close. I own hunting property but I can be to 20 different lakes in 20 minutes for any type of game fish including the Big Pond. Most business is dependent on the sporting community and if solitude is what you are after I may see 5 cars all day drive by my place. Fell in love with the area as a kid and will make it my permanent home in the spring. Can't go wrong
Old 09-21-2021, 04:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&K View Post
Depends on the day. On holiday weekends almost every vehicle on that road is wearing either Illinois or Minnesota plates. We only have two seasons here - fishing and deer. At the change of seasons is the other times most of the vehicles on that road are foreign.
I appreciate that WI has allowed me to travel back and forth on 53 from IL to MN this week.

HRG
Old 09-21-2021, 08:37 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToThe Woods View Post
Been going to the Gordon/Solon area for more than 40 years and own property there. Douglas county is the poorest county in the state. Larger tracts of land are easily attainable and very fair prices. Hunting and fishing opportunities are everywhere and very close. I own hunting property but I can be to 20 different lakes in 20 minutes for any type of game fish including the Big Pond. Most business is dependent on the sporting community and if solitude is what you are after I may see 5 cars all day drive by my place. Fell in love with the area as a kid and will make it my permanent home in the spring. Can't go wrong

Douglas county is nowhere near the poorest county in the state,....https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._capita_income
Old 09-22-2021, 12:27 AM
Slot Fish

Not much for stores? How many stores besides the Spooner Outlet do you need?
Old 09-22-2021, 07:31 AM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Larson View Post
Douglas county is nowhere near the poorest county in the state,....https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._capita_income

I'll take the information given to me from my father who is a resident and village board member. That information was given to him in literature at an annual conference at the state capital municipal board members from across the state. Rather than relying on a website that any Joe can update with info as they see fit.

I will concede in saying that this info may have changed as that data was from 2019.
Old 09-22-2021, 10:23 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by btyreprich View Post
Looking at homes in the NW part of Wisconsin - south of Duluth on Rt 53.
Would greatly appreciate talking to fellow Walleye Central members who live in this part of the state
I have questions / and perhaps a few concerns about living here.
If you wouldn't mind sending me a Private Message - the wife & I would be most grateful.
Thanks in advance.
Keep your animals and pets close, or don't have any at all. Every dot, circle, and check mark on this map is either a dead or injured domestic animal (pet or livestock) due to a wolf attack. These are only the attacks and kills offically confirmed by USDA Wildlife Services employees. No coyote, bear, or bobcat kills are shown on the map either.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NW WI.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	333.3 KB
ID:	329392  

Last edited by Fin Bender; 09-22-2021 at 10:42 AM.
Old 09-22-2021, 11:01 AM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fin Bender View Post
Keep your animals and pets close, or don't have any at all. Every dot, circle, and check mark on this map is either a dead or injured domestic animal (pet or livestock) due to a wolf attack, and these are only the ones reported, and offically confirmed by USDA Wildlife Services employees. No coyote, bear, or bobcat kills are shown on the map either.

Just had a friend who lost a hound due to wolves while bear hunting. This happens often and as I am told usually when an experienced or season hound running with less experience. The less experienced tend to lose the track at times and not honor the striker. Unfortunately this lends itself to the striker being isolated and become easy prey for the wolves who see them as competition like they would a coyote. The rest of the dogs are uncontrolled. I can only think of one dog that was killed in the state that was under control by the owner. The wolves stocked the owner carrying the dead dog according to the owner who was walking at night.