Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Maps on LCX-38C HD vs. Plat. Hot Maps on a 997 Bird - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 08-26-2008, 07:51 PM
Minnow

Default Maps on LCX-38C HD vs. Plat. Hot Maps on a 997 Bird

Well I almost bought a Hummingbird 997C SI tonight; I have been looking at it for some time. Well I wanted to see the Hot Maps Plat. on the unit first so I found a card from a friend and played with it at the store and I was very disappointed with it on Tennessee inland lakes, very little contours or info. Before I left the store I played with the LCX-38C HD and I couldn't believe how good the maps where that are preloaded: Hot spots Pro and Lake Master I think plus more? While I was sold on the side imaging on the Bird, I feel like I can catch more fish with the LCX if I just can have one unit. Any one that has any comments or suggestions they would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2008, 12:35 AM
Minnow

Default Internet Dealers?????

What about the Large internet dealers?? How are warranty issues resolved? They are not listed on Lowrance's website?
Old 08-27-2008, 12:48 AM
Charter Member

On the 997 hit the menu button twice, right or left click to the "CHART" menu tab. Then click with your down arrow to "SPOT SOUNDINGS".
Change the option from "Hidden" to "Visible".
You will then see all the depths if they are on the card.
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2008, 09:37 AM
Wallhanger

You can use the platinum chips on the 38. also you can get side imaging with lowrance. there is an aftermarket guy who builds them... and they are by far a better side image than any surface mount transducer. http://www.burtonelectronics.com/
Old 08-27-2008, 05:00 PM
Wallhanger

You hit the nail right on the head. I bought the LCX38 over the winter. Then Cabelas had the Premium chip on sale, so I bought that. Once I had the 38 on and working, I could not get over all the maps, and great detail. In my opinion, I through my money away on the chip. Won't buy another.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:13 PM
Wallhanger

I think it might be good to point out that these discussions about to buy a mapping chip or not to by a chip but rather go with the maps that come on the units is leaving out somthing.

All of the after market map chip producers -Navionics--Lake masters etc, produce detailed maps of lakes. None of them have detailed maps of every lake in the USA. So to make a informed choice on wether a chip will work for you, you need to go to there web site and see if the lakes you want to fish have been surveyed by them and put on a chip. Each company has a list of lakes they have done. That list overlaps between companies and somtimes one brand chip has better detail on a particulatr lake. Some lakes no one has a good chip for. Some lakes only one company does.

There is really no one brand of chip or base map (the maps that come standard with your Lowrance or Humming bird unit) that has the "best " detail of every lake in the USA. Do some shopping and make the choice that is the best for the lakes YOU fish.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:27 PM
Charter Member

Rippin could you explain the side imaging on the Lowrance? If it is not using a transducer, how does it work?
Old 08-28-2008, 02:07 PM
Charter Member

I like having all the maps on the HD simply because no matter where I go, I (most likely) have a map for it. I visit some lakes only one time, and I am not going to buy a map just for that. I like to visit many different lakes, and the HD is perfect for that.

I wish you could adjust the shading of the different depths as it would make the contours easier to read, but other than that they work great for me.

Old 08-28-2008, 02:20 PM
Wallhanger

Unhappy

I agree with you on the HD units having a good all around selection of maps. Here in the West there are a few lakes that Navionics has dialed in to 1 foot increments and on those lakes the best choice is clearly Navionics. I know most of the mapping chip producers focus on the mid western states lakes because that's where the lion share of the market is so Western lake coverage is spotty.

So it really is simple....buy the HD unit and also get one of each brand chip and your covered.!
Gets to be an expensive hobby don't it.
Old 08-28-2008, 02:36 PM
Wallhanger

its a transducer but not a surface mount............ its a torpedo style ducer that you put on a rigger or tow behind the boat. its the same style that is on the high end sonar that serch and rescue boats use. It is a better system of side imaging. check out the website its self explanitory. surface mounted transducers realisticaly have a lot of limitations. depth, water roughness, speed, structure your looking at. you cant see through weeds ect..... I personaly don't see the advantage to side imagery. i can visualize in my mind what i've graphed and what i see on my map cards. then its just simple fishing techniques fish the windward side of my structure and catch fish.