Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Alumacraft Tarp Cover - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 05-02-2001, 08:57 AM
Charter Member

Default Alumacraft Tarp Cover

I just purchased a new Alumacraft and purchased an Alumacraft tarp to put over the boat. The tarp is made of vinyl and I think is very nice. It should keep rain out. However, the straps for the tarp go around the trailer. This makes the straps rub against the boat and has given scratches to my new boat. The tarp also rubs the boat, giving it a definite line. I will need to buff out these marks. Also I have broke 3 straps already in two trips with the straps rubbing the boat. Anyone else run into this? Any suggestions to fix this problem? I e-mailed Alumacraft over a week ago with no response. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2001, 09:06 AM
Trapper

Default RE: Alumacraft Tarp Cover

I don't know where you are and you already have your money spent on an Alumacraft cover, but Flynn's Custom Covers in LaCrosse, WI is the ONLY place to get a cover. Ray can cover a boat in two days with a piece of vinyl that will fit your bow mount, kicker, electronics, windshield and any other thing you need the cover to fit. Ray's covers snap onto the boat with very inconspicuous snaps that don't let go in wind or at any highway speed. By the way, he'll cover your boat for $300 to $350 in any color you want. Of course, this is my opinion and I don't mean any offense to any other cover makers reading this. Good luck.
Old 05-02-2001, 09:10 AM
Charter Member

Are you sure it's a travel cover rather than a mooring cover just meant to cover the boat while sitting?

As stated above, I have had much better experience with custom made tarps..

Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2001, 09:15 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for the reply. This is my second boat from this dealer. My first boat came with a custom made cover, but he thought I would like this one b/c it was vinyl, not cloth like my first one. So I know the cover is made for travel, but it sure isn't doing the job. I am bringing it to the dealer this week and they are going to ship it to the company. I am hopeful that I get my money back and then I do plan on getting a custom-made cover.
Old 05-02-2001, 09:20 AM
Keeper

What size boat? I have a custom made cover for an Alumacraft 185 tiller which has not been used for 4 years. I would be willing to sell for cheap.
Old 05-02-2001, 09:31 AM
Charter Member

I have a 2001 Magnum 175 CS. Probably a touch too big, but thanks for the offer.
Old 05-02-2001, 02:39 PM
Minnow

Skis, you have me worried, I pick up my 170 TP Friday and have the Alumacraft tarp. Do you think with a different style trailer that the straps won't rub? Maybe I should have them cedit me before I take it out of the box.
Old 05-02-2001, 08:40 PM
Slot Fish

I have a 1995 Alumacraft 170CS and got it with a custom made tarp that straps to the trailer, it rubbed the paint on the boat and had a few broken straps, plus when trailering long distances the straps and trap would stretch. When that one rotted I had a snap on cover made from Top Gun material, I can trailer it up to Canada ( 12 hours) without any worries. I'll never have a strap type tarp or cloth fabric again.

Bob
Old 05-03-2001, 03:40 AM

Ski's,
Not that this really helps you a whole lot but I just wanted to let you know that Alumicraft doesn't actually make the boat covers. I emailed your post to my brother. He works there. He is going to tell them about this. He gets frustrated because it's just not good to have the Alumicraft name on a tarp that does that to a boat.
Have a great day.
Lisa
Old 05-03-2001, 04:10 AM
Charter Member

I have a Shoreland'r trailer. As I posted an earlier reply, I intend on bringing this one back and getting a custom made cover. It really torqued me off. I need to bring my boat to a body shop to have them buff out the rubbing marks on the boat.