Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Staticy sat radio - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 08-25-2008, 10:00 AM
Keeper

Default Staticy sat radio

I have Sirius in my boat, powered up thru cig lighter. My radio has always picked up the FM signal nice and clear. Lately I have noticed a sligt hiss in the music, and thats with no other electronics on at all, only the radio. So I jiggled around the power cord of the sat radio connected to the cig lighter plug, and I can make it sound really staticy to crystal clear. Do you think it would be something as simple as the power cord has gone bad on the Sirius, or would it be something else? I'm not a wiring or electronics expert, so thought I'd ask before I start buying replacement items. To me, the power cord for Sirius seems a bit flimsy, maybe thats part of the problem. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2008, 02:10 PM
Wallhanger

sounds like you've identified the problem perfectly.

noisy power from a bad cord will cause noisy transmission.

Only thing aside from the cord it could possibly be is the connector at the tuner's end. That could be ruled out by comparing results of jiggling connector only versus jiggling cord. If you could narrow it down to a section of the cord, that would be even better. Usually cords don't go bad unless they've been pinched; it's usually where they connect to a connector at either end that's the problem.
Old 08-26-2008, 02:00 PM
gigiguy

Default sirius

I have siruis in my boat also - it gets staticy every time my live well kicks on. Not something I enjoy - but dont know how to resolve it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2008, 04:04 PM
Keeper

I wonder if a person connected directly from Sirius to your stereo via cable (my stereo cando that, it has the red/white RCA audio inputs in the back), and you are no longer broadcasting via the FM transmitter, would that solve the static problems?
Old 08-26-2008, 04:21 PM
Wallhanger

Uzzi,
It would always be better to make a direct connection than a radio frequency one. In this case, I suspect you may still have a problem, as you have correctly identified the power source as the problem. I would make both repairs.

Boat Nut
Old 08-26-2008, 05:53 PM
Wallhanger

Yea, sounds like a connection problem.
Old 08-26-2008, 06:47 PM
Keeper

If the power source is my problem (the cable), all I can do about that is replace it, and wait for the new cable to do the same thing? Is that correct?
Old 08-27-2008, 08:10 AM
Wallhanger

Or, you could replace the cigar lighter connection with a direct connection to a fused power source and ground. Ensure that you don't use a trolling motor battery as a source.

Boat Nut
Old 08-27-2008, 09:22 AM
Keeper

my cig lighter is fused and grounded correctly I think. There are 2 wires out the back of the cig lighter that meet up with a whole group of other wires and runs into a big black connector thats about 3" long and 1/2" high. The cig lighter also has its own fuse on the fuse panel.....

Or am I reading your reply wrong........youre saying direct power connection from the sat radio straight to the battery with a proper ground......yeah, I think thats what you're saying........
Old 08-28-2008, 08:27 AM
Wallhanger

I think your complaint was that the cigar light cord fails, and if you replace it, you will just have to "wait for it to happen again". The reason this happens is because the plug in gets moved around regular. If you hard wire it, you will never bump it, trip over it, pull it at the wrong angle, or let the connection get weathered again.

Boat Nut