Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
On-board Battery Charger - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 08-27-2008, 01:54 PM
Wallhanger

Just to clarify, the Dual Pro chargers ARE (3) independent units in 1 case, but my point is, if the jumpers are in place between the batteries, the charger really doesnt know which battery it is charging. The 3-bank is the way to go (or a 2-bank up front, and a single out back), but I'd like to see the disconnect. Think of it this way, if one of your (2) battery combo goes dead, how would you know? You still get 12V out of the strong one, but the weak or dead battery will hasten the decline of the good one.
HRG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2008, 02:39 PM
Wallhanger

Hot Runr:

You're right- parallel wired batteries cannot be charged independently. If you use a 2-bank charger to charge two parallel-wired batteries, it makes no difference whether both pairs of charger wires go to the same battery or each pair goes to a different battery. What you do get from running two pairs of wires from a 3-bank charger is double the charging current if the charger isn't smart enough to direct the charge where it is most needed (some are, some aren't). I expect Karpbuster's parallel TM batteries are more discharged than the cranking battery at the end of the day, so more charging current available to the TM batteries is what I'd want. Your disconnect idea is a very good suggestion, just one extra step in the process.

Karpbuster- there are several simple solutions to plug in and charge your 3 batteries. Some of them are...
1. Use a 2-bank charger that can re-direct charging current to the most discharged battery- one bank for TM batteries, other for cranking battery. Example- Cabela's Pro Sport II 12 which will deliver up to 12 amps to any battery in the system. $80.
2. Use a 2-bank charger that doesn't redirect current, wired as above, but know that your 2 TM batteries are going to share the same charging capacity as your single cranking battery. Example- Guest Model 2611 will pump 5 amps to your TM batteries. $100.
3. use a 3-bank charger that doesn't redirect current and wire 2 of the banks to the TM batteries to charge them more quickly. Example- Guest Model 2613 will pump 10 amps to your TM batteries. $170. It takes a 3-bank charger to support a 24 volt TM system and still charge the cranking battery, should you ever want to do that.
4. Use a 3-bank that can redirect current- Example Cabela's Pro Sport II 20 Plus- $130. This, coupled with HRG's TM battery disconnect might be the best choice. Nice thing is you can't hurt anything if you forget to open or close the disconnect.

By the way, my examples are based on my historic good experience with Guest chargers, but nothing more than reading about Cabela's chargers

Last edited by yarcraft91; 08-27-2008 at 02:52 PM.
Old 08-27-2008, 03:36 PM
Charter Member

I have a 3 bank pro mariner that I really like, had it about 4 years now and it still works flawlessly

Rebs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2008, 07:29 AM
Wallhanger

KB - you were on the right track, before HRG distracted you with a technical correction.

Batteries in parallel generally act like one battery that is twice as big. So, if a 10 amp charger will charge a normal battery in a reasonable amount of time, you would need a 20 amp for a battery twice as big for the same amount of time. If you try to use just the 10 amp charger, it will take twice as long as just one battery would take. Getting a charger that big, and wires that heavy, can get to be an issue......
So, hooking two "banks" up, one to each battery, can give you the same effect.

Because the batteries are wired together, they are not being charged independantly. And, if you have one battery that is stronger (higher voltage) than the other, it will actually try to charge the other one, at least to the point to where both are equal. So, you can put the wires from two banks of your charger on to just one of the batteries, and as long as the other battery is connected, they will still both charge in a reasonable amount of time. Hooking one or both up to two banks is your choice -whatever is easier to do in your boat. Just don't run two banks to one battery without the other one connected - that runs a risk of overcharging.

The down side? If one of the batteries goes bad and won't accept a charge, you may end up ruining the second also, as it constantly is trying to charge the bad one, and running itself down to nothing in the process. This will happen whether you have a charger connected or not - so is not an issue with having a charger, per se, but may result in you fooling with things longer trying to figure out the problem.

So yes, go for the 3 bank. Hook one bank up to each battery, and enjoy having one less thing to fool with when you want to go fishing......
Old 09-01-2008, 12:16 PM
Minnow

I have been down this road many times.
Take it from a touring pro. go with the 3 bank minnkota charger.
It has the fastest recovery charge and it is bullet proof.
I am on my third dual pro charger, in my current 620 Ranger.
In the past, I ran minnekota chargers, And That will be the case from now on.
Back when everybody was running 24 volt,
some riggers would skimp by with a 2 bank charger, and use a loop to parallel the main with one of the 2 trolling batteries.
I had that setup in my older boat.
It did work, but it took the bank charging the two batteries twice as long to reach full charge.
After some time, the batteries would develop a load imbalance memory.
Use a 3 bank and run the leads to each battery.
You may need to install a disconnect on the parellel batteries.
Ask your boat dealer or call minnekota techical support.