Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
vinyl vs carpet - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 04-23-2019, 06:14 AM
Minnow

Default vinyl vs carpet

Now that I've decided to keep my boat, my first thought was to go to vinyl flooring/deck. Does anyone have any strong feelings either way of vinyl vs carpet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2019, 06:24 AM
Wallhanger

Location: Land of 10,000 lakes, even more taxes and the state where the police are handcuffed.

Get the stuff Backtroller and Yar-Craft use. It's a closed cell foam I think that has some padding feel to it.
Old 04-23-2019, 08:45 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcreekdad View Post
Now that I've decided to keep my boat, my first thought was to go to vinyl flooring/deck. Does anyone have any strong feelings either way of vinyl vs carpet?

I really like my vinyl, but there are pros and cons to both. Here are a couple off the top of my head

Vinyl pros:
1. Easy to clean and maintain
2. Does not seem to break down in high traffic areas
3. Hooks don’t get caught
4. Overall durability seems better than carpet

Vinyl cons:
1. Can be very slick if you fish when it’s precipitating (doesn’t bother me).
2. If you ever fish barefoot or have children, grandkids, etc, when it is over about 85°F and sunny, it’s too hot to walk or place bare skin on. Nothing a towel can’t fix. My vinyl is a very, very light gray, and it’s still hot.
3. My 2016 Lund vinyl is pulling back in a few places already. Just need to re-apply some spray adhesive, not sure if this is normal on all vinyl.
4. Non-latching compartments don’t shut as tight as carpeted ones of the same dimensions (moot point if reworking your decking or have latching compartments). I have solved this by adding bungees for trailering (compartments would open at highway speeds).
5. When you kneel over to grab a fish or reach into a compartment, make sure your kneecap is not on a screw head!
6. You don’t get the sound deadening of carpet while underway.

In my opinion, having owned boats (new and old) with vinyl and carpet, the pros of vinyl far outweigh the cons. My next boat (yeah right) will be glass with snap in carpet or synthetic padded flooring so you can have the best of both worlds. In reality, I’ll likely end up with another aluminum boat, in which case I’ll unquestionably do vinyl.

Hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2019, 08:56 AM
Wallhanger

Vinyl hands down. Easy clean....slime, guts, worm goo all hose off easily
Old 04-23-2019, 10:09 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcreekdad View Post
The vinyl is easy to clean and I have it on my main floor but I prefer carpet on the bow and aft deck. If I'm sitting for a long time i like to take my shoes off & the carpet adds some cushioning compared to the vinyl.
Old 04-23-2019, 10:56 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikear View Post
I really like my vinyl, but there are pros and cons to both. Here are a couple off the top of my head

Vinyl pros:
1. Easy to clean and maintain
2. Does not seem to break down in high traffic areas
3. Hooks don’t get caught
4. Overall durability seems better than carpet

Vinyl cons:
1. Can be very slick if you fish when it’s precipitating (doesn’t bother me).
2. If you ever fish barefoot or have children, grandkids, etc, when it is over about 85°F and sunny, it’s too hot to walk or place bare skin on. Nothing a towel can’t fix. My vinyl is a very, very light gray, and it’s still hot.
3. My 2016 Lund vinyl is pulling back in a few places already. Just need to re-apply some spray adhesive, not sure if this is normal on all vinyl.
4. Non-latching compartments don’t shut as tight as carpeted ones of the same dimensions (moot point if reworking your decking or have latching compartments). I have solved this by adding bungees for trailering (compartments would open at highway speeds).
5. When you kneel over to grab a fish or reach into a compartment, make sure your kneecap is not on a screw head!
6. You don’t get the sound deadening of carpet while underway.

In my opinion, having owned boats (new and old) with vinyl and carpet, the pros of vinyl far outweigh the cons. My next boat (yeah right) will be glass with snap in carpet or synthetic padded flooring so you can have the best of both worlds. In reality, I’ll likely end up with another aluminum boat, in which case I’ll unquestionably do vinyl.

Hope this helps.

This is a very good summation of my experience as well.

Instagram: @harderoutdoors
Old 04-24-2019, 01:31 PM
Charter Member

I have a glass boat with a glass textured floor. But, it is a white floor and difficult to keep clean.
So, after the first few years of ownership, I decided to purchase after market carpet and use a lay in technique for the carpet.

I use no snaps, but simply make a pattern to fit the floor, with holes for hatches and pedestal seat bases. Then, the edges and holes are edged with carpet edging.

In use, the seats are removed and the carpet is laid in place.

If during transit, a corner of the carpet folds back, I just use the tow of my shoe to put it back in place and use the boat. If the carpet gets too dirty to be cleaned in the boat, it is removed and pressure washed on the driveway and dried. Then, it is put back in the boat. If, after use, it is worn too much for further use, a new carpet is cut using the pattern, edged and placed in the boat.

I just use very tight weave outdoor carpet that works well for myself, family and friends.

If, in the summer time and doing a lot of water sports, I will take the carpet out just to keep a more dry floor. With wet getting in and out of the boat all of the time with water sports, it does not take long for the carpet to be saturated and bare feet on the white floor works better in the summer heat.

Good luck
Old 04-24-2019, 02:48 PM
Minn guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Minnesota guy View Post
Get the stuff Backtroller and Yar-Craft use. It's a closed cell foam I think that has some padding feel to it.
Vinyl with snap in ^^^^^^^ or a snap in carpet.
Old 04-25-2019, 06:24 PM
Keeper

I had vinyl in my old Lund Fisherman. New AlumiCraft has carpet. Much prefer the vinyl. Easier to clean, hooks don't get caught, washes up easier. Much prefer vinyl.

dvl2700

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them !
Old 04-25-2019, 07:21 PM
Slot Fish

Ordered my boat in 2008 with Vinyl, along with snap in carpet. The cockpit is the only place with the snap in carpet.
To me I have the best of both worlds with it this way. And If I were to order a new boat tomorrow. Would order it the same way again.