Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Spokane River Arm walleye - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 01-05-2008, 03:49 PM
Minnow

Default Spokane River Arm walleye

I've read there is a decent winter walleye bite on the Spokane River Arm of Lake Roosevelt. I've never fished the impoundment but my wife is on me to take her walleye fishing (I know, its a real cross to bear). Has anyone fished it? Do I have a chance of finding fish on a first trip in the winter? Any advice on methods or general locations would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2008, 04:15 PM
Keeper

Default RE: Spokane River Arm walleye

Alot of people fish it in late February and all of March as the Arm is closed April and May.
You can launch at Fort Spokane or Porcupine Bay and you can find fish up river to bouy 11 (I think they call it bouy 5 now) to the mouth.
I prefer jigs with a tube skirt and a piece of nightcrawler or Gulp leaches or minnows in 25 to 60 FOW for this time of year, but some people pull spinners.
If you go at this time of year just look for the boats and see where they are fishing, there will be plenty of them. If you want to go earlier in the year I would try some deep holes off structure between Fort Spokane and Porcupine Bay and jig slow. Don't be affraid to go real deep.
Use your electronics and you should be able to find fish the first time out.
Watch the lake level as they usually start to draw down around the end of February. Rarely, but it is possible for the ramps to be high and dry.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:07 AM
setter_guy

Thanks for the info, we'll be checking the Arm out as soon as the water starts warming up a little.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2008, 03:16 PM
Charter Member

There's plenty of good fishing to be had at Two Rivers before the spawners move into the Spokane...Lots of good fish are caught this time of year (right now!!) as well. Just have to adjust where you fish. Work the flats up or down stream of the mouth as the big girls and lots of males are staging up as we speak. Fishing can be hit or miss from one day to next but some seem to produce quite regularly. Get yourself a map of the system and look for the flats in the area. Cover them casting jigs/plastics or bladebaits until you hit some fish. Parallel shore with your boat in 40'-50' with your cast landing in the 15'-20' depths and work the baits back to you. Once you find todays magic depth in the area your working, narrow your range and work more of the water that is the same depth..
One other piece of advice, the Spokane arm isn't the only drainage the eyes gather in to spawn. Be creative and look up or down the lake 10-15 miles from Two Rivers and you'll find other spots to fish..Good luck, from now til April is big fish season...
Old 01-08-2008, 06:55 PM
Wallhanger

Hello Rob,
I dont know if I told you but Im considering headng west yet this winter (maybe you want to go) and Im wondering how big those eyes in the Spokane get?
Do they get as big as the Umitilla/Tri cities fish?
Im guessing or maybe hoping the numbers are better?
Old 01-09-2008, 10:15 AM
Charter Member

I'll send you some pic's...RJ
Old 01-11-2008, 03:24 PM
bouncer

There's an abundance of info about the Spokane Arm and surrounding hotspots on the Northwestwalleye.com website. Go to the site and search for the key words Spokane Arm and Two Rivers and you'll find more information than you could possibly use. As far as fish size is concerned...well...it's part of the same system that's sure to produce the next world record walleye! I'm convinced that there are absolute Hawgs in most every stretch of the Columbia River from below McNary all the way to the Spokane Arm. Lot's of fishable water with undisturbed big girls.

"Is this heaven?"

"No, this is the Columbia River!"

Good fishing!
Old 01-11-2008, 04:58 PM
Xswab

......you guys are really getting my interest up to travel over there from SW MT. My wife has some family in the Dalles. Are there additional sites that cover that area? Am retired so have a bunch of time to research, and surprise/convince the wife to go visit family . Have a 17' windshield boat w/115 yammie(55# TM) ...is that enuf boat for that stretch of water?

Thanks for info}(
Old 01-11-2008, 05:18 PM
Minnow

>......you guys are really getting my interest up to travel
>over there from SW MT. My wife has some family in the Dalles.
>Are there additional sites that cover that area? Am retired so
>have a bunch of time to research, and surprise/convince the
>wife to go visit family . Have a 17' windshield boat w/115
>yammie(55# TM) ...is that enuf boat for that stretch of water?
>
>
>Thanks for info}(
your boat is all you need for this water. jigs, spinners, crankbaits, bladebaits like everywhere else with crawlers.
www.playnposm.com or call larry at 503-257-0553
Old 01-12-2008, 07:53 PM
Charter Member

Take a look at the Northwestwalleye message boards.

Thats plenty of boat for any body of water here in the Northwest.
There is a multitude of places to fish year round here. and just about anytime you can catch walleye somewhere here.