Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
My first fishing equipment - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 03-25-2019, 06:56 PM
Wallhanger

Been looking around and saw what seems like it might be the one but not Zebco. I remember it being red and white. Dupont nylon is what they called it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2019, 04:14 AM
Super Moderator

Never had a Zebco....

At 4 years old, my first rod was a stick with a line tied to it...I'd fish off the dock on Big McKenzie Lake, where the cabin my family rented for 3 weeks in the summer was.

Some of my other Aunts, Uncles, and Cousins rented out cabins there at the same time too, so it was like a 3-week family reunion of fishing, water skiing, and barbeques....those were good times.

When I was 10...I was given a Mitchell 300 spinning reel, attached to a long white Diawa fiberglass rod, for my birthday.

That combo caught a lot of coho off the piers on Lake Michigan (both Wisconsin and Illinois) and a lot of panfish in Wisconsin. They were bulletproof and lasted a long long time.

I still have the reel around here someplace, and it's still as smooth as the day I started using it.
NPAA#89

Supporting Vendor
Guide (Lake Erie Western Basin)
JulsWalleyeFishingAdventures.com

2019 Ranger 621 FS
300 G2
15 ETEC Kicker
112 Ulterra w/iPilot LINK
Humminbird Helix 12 MEGA SI CHIRP Gen2
Old 03-26-2019, 03:18 PM
Wallhanger

My first reel was also a Zebco 33 and a rod that was stiff, maybe an early Ugly stick. Used it for everything and caught tons of fish with it.
Old 03-26-2019, 06:08 PM
Wallhanger

My dad used to take us down to the creek on the neighbors farm in the evening when weather was nice he liked to fish and since we couldn't handle the baitcasters he had, he bought us Zebco 33's with short fiberglass rods. That was my first setup and still have it up on the wall. There was a lot of bullheads caught on that rod.
Old 03-28-2019, 05:53 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy weaver View Post
When I was about 13 years old in the early 1950s I wanted some fishing equipment. There was a pond not to far from my home and I wanted to fish. My dad who was not a fisherman bought me a used casting outfit with a steel pole and a bait caster spooled with the old black nylon line. I think there was a couple of lures with it, one was a River Runt and the other a Jitter Bug. I never did get to be able to cast the thing without a monster back-lash. I just about gave up on fishing until my uncle fixed me up with a cane pole and a bobber outfit. I thank my long gone uncle for stopping me from giving up something I have enjoyed for many years.
I was 4 years old in 1972 when I went trout fishing with my grandpa in his 18 foot fiberglass boat on opening day for the first time. I used one of his Eagle Claw fiberglass trolling poles that I grew to call mine over the years (because that is how kids are). That fiberglass rod was old back then. When he passed away I got that pole and had it rebuilt 10 (or so) years back. I still use it for downrigger fishing in Puget Sound. Caught several salmon on it just last year including a nice king.
Old 03-30-2019, 11:18 AM
Keeper

Default Zebco 600

An early memory was fishing in a rental row boat with my Grandpa and Grandma on Little Silver Lake in Wild Rose, WI. They had just presented me with a little rod and reel. It broke within an hour. Grandpa said to Grandma "I knew that thing was junk. Gotta get the boy a better one". Very soon Grandma and Grandpa would surprise me with a Zebco 600 combo. The reel was identical to the picture.. the copper covered cap and the large screw. I remember taking that screw off as a child, transfixed and reverent of the "magic" that occurred beneath the cap. I had the reel for years. Life displaced it somewhere, but not the memory of Grandpa and Grandma...thank you for everything.
Attached Images

Old 03-30-2019, 08:33 PM
Keeper

Anyone else here ever use one of those hollow copper telescoping fly rods?
(7'-ish)

Still have 2 of them in the basement, one about 6" shorter than the other one.
If Anonymouse wasn't so lazy he'd go look for a name brand on 'em.
An all-metal rod is not really very practical or even efficient, crappy sensitivity, but they did catch fish over the 2 or 3 seasons Anonymouse played with them & they set the hook H>A>R>D !!
Old 03-30-2019, 10:40 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
After the last child jammed up the zebco again, I asked all of the kids for their poles with zebcos on them.

I removed all of the zebcos from the poles and threw each of them as far from the boat as possible.

Then, I tied 10 feet of line to the tip of each pole and all of the kids started catching all kinds of pan fish.

The bottom of the lake made a wonderful final resting place for these reels.

Be safe

That's why we can't have nice thingys anymore.
Litterbug REW is going around polluting the lakes with old Zebcos.
Old 04-03-2019, 03:06 PM
Slot Fish

When I was a kid in the early '70's I used a Zebco 33 and some cheap fiberglass rod. When I was in HS in the early 80's I bought a Diawa Goldcast reel and a Eagle Claw fiberglass rod. Caught a ton of fish fishing strip mines in central IL with my Dad in his Bass Buggy. My former boss liked higher end stuff and introduced me to Shimano Stradic's and St. Croix Avid rods. I'm hooked now with the high end stuff but still had a **** of a lot of fun with the cheap gear!
Old 04-03-2019, 04:09 PM
Wallhanger

Growing up in the '50s and 60's Dad had several old Bronson baitcasters with dacron line. Not having freespool or brakes, they wouldn't hardly cast without backlashing, but were ok for bobber fishing or trolling. When I came back from Viet Nam I bought a lefty 301 Mitchell and a 2 piece 7' Shakespeare glass rod. I think that the whole combo cost about 25 bucks. That set up worked for everything from trout to pike all over Minnesota and Wyoming. I still have it, but haven't used it in thirty years.

andersaki