Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
How much "slop" in a trailer hitch is acceptable? - Page 5 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 04-01-2019, 11:25 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowking View Post
As a reminder you are supposed to have the chains crisscrossed to the truck. Not straight to the truck. It is supposed to help if you lose the trailer. Tends to cradle the unhooked trailer
yep I do that with everything I tow. I have my emergency brake cable hooked up too
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2019, 03:49 PM
Wallhanger

In IL that is the law, crossed chains
Old 04-01-2019, 08:20 PM
Wallhanger

Just in case your still looking.

See this little device, stops rattles and locks your hitch to your truck/car

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KzyU5V-9Lee2LE

Comes in at least 2" and 2.5".

Haven't a clue how good it is, but it looked neat.

Al
Old 04-02-2019, 12:48 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
Derwood,
Here are some videos about folks that used different methods to reduce slop:

Another welded in plug to the rear of the drawbar with a heavy duty washer on the back of the hitch with a heavy bolt through the washer into the plug to eliminate the slop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5eBFhJwWY8
If ya gunna do it, do it right.
Really liked that solution and was going to post it REW, but ya beat the Anonymouse to it.
Stops it from jumping around by hand pressure but 6,000# of trailer would probably still make it move around up & down and side to side, some, in the receiver

Last edited by Anonymouse; 04-02-2019 at 12:51 AM.
Old 04-02-2019, 03:14 PM
Minnow

In some areas it is against the law to have a ball mount in the receiver without a trailer attached. Considering that and not wanting slop between the receiver and ball mount, I had two flat washers welded to my ball mount. Just ground them down with an angle grinder for a perfect fit and eliminated the slop and noise.
One is not enough as the ball mount will still move. Weld one to the ball mount front and back of the attaching pin. Use good grade washers.
A simple and quick solution. I apply a generous amount of marine grease to my ball mount to prevent rusting and make it easy to remove the ball mount.
Old 04-05-2019, 08:42 AM
Charter Member

Default sloppy receiver hitch remedy

https://www.dakotametalworks.com/ This is what I use. I leave it on my towtector which is attached to my receiver ball hitch. This way I remove the ball and the towtector at the same time and hang on the wall after unhooking the boat, and obviously, put it back when towing boat again. Works very well... no wrenches and no shin bumping.. and no rattle when installed.

Swede
Old 04-05-2019, 09:52 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rather Be Lucky View Post
https://www.dakotametalworks.com/ This is what I use. I leave it on my towtector which is attached to my receiver ball hitch. This way I remove the ball and the towtector at the same time and hang on the wall after unhooking the boat, and obviously, put it back when towing boat again. Works very well... no wrenches and no shin bumping.. and no rattle when installed.

Swede
Cool invention!