Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
tr-1 auto pilot - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Walleye Boats and Motors

Old 02-12-2004, 02:33 PM
Charter Member

Default RE: tr-1 auto pilot

Which autohelm from cabelas are you talking about? Couldn't find one that costs over 1100 dollars. I am puting mine on a 28' marinette with an inboard so as far as I know that the tr-1 is the only way to have an auto pilot for when I am trolling an not using the main engine.
Thanks Thomas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2004, 02:41 PM
Minnow

I meant that the TR-1 is $3000+ and Autohelm at Cabela's runs about $1000. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 02-12-2004, 02:46 PM
Slot Fish

The TR-1 gold lists at $2200 with throttle control. An extra $65 if you want the trolling tach display. You might have seen the price for the TR-1 Gladiator (which is for larger craft).

Old 02-19-2004, 04:44 PM
Bo

Hi Thomas, Drop me an e-mail and I'll be happy to send on some literature.
Old 02-19-2004, 06:06 PM
Wallhanger

Raymarine's AutoHelm product being referred to is nice, I've seen them work on single outboard boats at cruising speeds. Mechanical or hydraulic steering. Here's the one big question, and I even had a sales rep from Raymarine a bit stumped. If I got dual cable steering (mechnanical) and my kicker is tied into the main motor, will it still steer consistantly? They couldn't say. I thought they must have seen an installation like this before. Anyways, Trollmaster throttle and Electo Steer for me. $500 some dollars, all I got to do is make course corrections when needed. I'm cheap enough to do that!!! LOL

Chris
Old 02-22-2004, 12:50 AM
Charter Member

I ended up getting a tr-1 more money than the Raytheon but it was the only one that could do the job for me. I have a 28' boat with an inboard motor and a rudder for steering. So the Raytheon would only work on the inboard. I have been trolling with the main engine for a couple of years and got tired of putting all the hours on it so I got a kicker and now the TR-1 from what I have heard I will be in heaven. No more spending the whole day in the captainís chair to keep the boat on course. And not to mention when we were bringing a fish in and the boat was doing it own thing while my partner and I were in the back netting. So in all an expensive tool but I think in terms of more enjoyment it will be great. I troll about 99% of the time and all of it is on lake Erie.
Thanks For all the comments Thomas
Old 02-22-2004, 06:29 AM
Fin

My buddy has the Sportpilot plus on his 28' sportcraft inboard and it works great. They have an assist for inboards.
Old 02-22-2004, 07:29 AM
Charter Member

I know It would work on my main engine but there is no way to connect it to a kicker motor. I just don't like running the big motor at low speed for hours. It uses quite alot more fuel than my 15hp kicker. I tryed to use the kicker by locking it donw in a straight position then steering with the rudder it works at 2.5 mph but below that the difficulty mataining a heading is to much. I probably will get a sport pilot in the future for the run to the fishing spot.
Thanks Thomas
Beaconhill
Old 02-22-2004, 04:33 PM
Bo

Hi Thomas, Give me a call tomorrow @ (734) 891-1001. Thanks!
Old 02-22-2004, 06:06 PM
Wallhanger

I have my second TR1 and they have given me great service. I've been in Ludington, MI fishing and had a problem with the unit. They helped me trouble shoot it over the phone and had the replacement part on the porch of my rented house the next day. I couldn't ask for better service. I know that they're working a lot of shows this time of the year. Hopefully, your problem will get resolved quickly.