Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Out of fuel at FLW - Page 4 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Tournament Message Board

Old 05-21-2008, 02:07 AM
ethics

Default RE: Out of fuel at FLW

Ethics are gone and have been for quite some time. About the gas issue, ask the flw about the championship at pierre two years ago and see if they enforced any rules about gas cans at the docks. never enforced and they acted like it never happened!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2008, 02:20 PM
Charter Member

RJ, If I remember right I ran to Jim Creek and it was 40 miles each way when I was there in 06.

To the dam I think it was like 50-55...I think...

Old 05-21-2008, 07:54 PM
David Kraft

I must reply to this post. I fished this event.

Some boats ran to the Akaska area. Some ran out of gas on the way back. Others got gas at the boat dock by a gas truck at the dock.

But, the boats that received gas at the dock checked to see if the gas was available to "the general public". It WAS available to anyone who wanted gas, including the general public. Anyone could have bought gas there.

FLW did not ignore their own rules. Gas was available to anyone who purchased gas at the dock. A few anglers did their homework and found a place to gas up, a place available to all of us.

Why accuse FLW of turning their backs.

Dave Kraft - My posts are ALWAYS posted with my name.

Old 05-23-2008, 11:42 AM
bradley894

well i would say, you run out of gas and cant get in under your boats own power you lose your weight for the day.. if you hit a rock and blow a lower unit (tuff crap) , if there is gas avialable along the rout and it is sold to the public. FINE, NOT a gas can on a private dock placed there for you only! i wouldn't want to see 5 guys chip in and order up a gas truck . have it waiting.. if thats the case than the pwt and flw should contract that out and chose the location or two that they would exist. having fuel waiting at a private dock is a great idia but there should be no reason a boat should make contact with the shorline unless nessisary. i would also say that this could be a safty hazard for the ammitor who has no say in the matter. im tired of the guys who arent prepared getting a pass,,, the guy who travels down river at 3/4 throttle loses an hour of fishing time takes care of his ammitor and fish and equipment ,, on the other hand , somone at full throttle bouncing off of stumps and flying past local anglers at 60 mph is going to get a FREE GET OUT OF JAIL CARD< thats CRAPola... time for some rule changes to start rewarding responsibuility... these are supposed to be ambasitors of the sport. i say if you wanna run HOT and run spin the rpms threw red line on every other wave then dont cry to me when you blow up that new 250 HP and if you get a ride back by the staff or another boat for any other reason than safty(NO FISH) then in my opinion its wrong! these rules should be addressed and changed! i have lost money to guys that hit a rock pile on the bay of green bay.. one guy got a ride back in another competitors boat with the fish and the other stayed with the boat and ran the kicker to shore . the fish were weighd and they won the tournament. so what do you do you know your not going to make it in on time so you pull a wire under the dash and call in boat trouble? oh no problem we will send somone out to pick up your fish and ammitor.. ha ha worked again!
Old 05-23-2008, 11:55 AM
bradley894

ONE more point.. ive been in tournaments where i came out of a river system and had to run 20 miles in 5 footers... ive looked at my gps and my ETA and shut the boat down and said to my partner we arent gonna make it back in time .. in a few tournaments i turned to my partner and asked him if it was ok with him if we try to make it.. 30 miles at 20 miles an hour we wont make it.. 30 miles at 30 miles / hour and we will but we may die trying! and ive taken things bolted to my boat off by spearing a wave . those days are over for me as im not going to do that to myself my equipment and my partner anymore.. but if all i would have had to do is forget about my reserve fuel tank or let my prop come out of the water and blow up a motor under warrentee to have a chance to weigh my fish by getting a pass on a day that its my fault i didnt have my crap togather than thats just plain WRONG!
Old 05-23-2008, 01:24 PM
yikes

>ONE more point.. ive been in tournaments where i came out of
>a river system and had to run 20 miles in 5 footers... ive
>looked at my gps and my ETA and shut the boat down and said to
>my partner we arent gonna make it back in time .. in a few
>tournaments i turned to my partner and asked him if it was ok
>with him if we try to make it.. 30 miles at 20 miles an hour
>we wont make it.. 30 miles at 30 miles / hour and we will but
>we may die trying! and ive taken things bolted to my boat off
>by spearing a wave . those days are over for me as im not
>going to do that to myself my equipment and my partner
>anymore.. but if all i would have had to do is forget about
>my reserve fuel tank or let my prop come out of the water and
>blow up a motor under warrentee to have a chance to weigh my
>fish by getting a pass on a day that its my fault i didnt have
>my crap togather than thats just plain WRONG!

Now seating.

Bitter table for one

Bitter table for one
Old 05-23-2008, 03:43 PM
bradley894

yikes is right ...i guess im trying to say , your tournament day is filled with decisions, from fishing related to conditions and other distractions that can take away your focus... the competition factor alone messes with your head and your decision making abuility. i have not made it to the scale only once...over the years. but i have learned to try and fish a bit smarter. and im not bitter about it. i feal it gives me an advantage. a controlled golf game is the same way. pull a driver out on a narrow fairway or pull a 3 wood or an iron.. now i pull the iron.. and the end result fishing or golfing is the same.. IM better at the game! and more important, i enjoy it more! helping another angler out and giving them a break is one thing... for anglers aranging for fuel to make the run is fine (and brilliant) no rule against it. for angler who ran that distance full throttle knowing that they may not have enough fuel if the conditions change on the way home ... I have no sympathy, IVE made similar mistakes and its all on my back, (Bonehead decisions) but if a fisherman fishes to the last second ,makes a decision to run farther then the rest or harder than most to try for the big win... if he takes the risk than so be it, HERO woo hooo, or dead in the water 1 mile from the launch site
5 min left on the time clock ! am i wrong about him being able to bring those fish to the scale? Bitter ? maybe? as for the poor decisions ive made ,( MR> YIKES) if you have fished walleye tournaments for any amount of time , you would have been there yourself once or twice! live and learn.. all choices and consequenses
Old 05-23-2008, 06:54 PM
gas truck

Dave, there was no gas truck at that launch selling gas. There were gas cans sitting on the dock for certain individuals. So it was not available to everyone. This info came from two co-anglers that were there. Both were told that it was within the rules by there pros. One of them knew that it was not within the rules but chose not to say anything to tournament officals because he did'nt want any trouble from the pros involved. Tournament rules state it must be purchased from a retail facility open to the public. Even if there was a gas truck, that is not a retail facility.
Old 05-24-2008, 08:40 AM
Oahe

Were was the gas truck located? The story i heard was that they got gas at swan or one of the docks down there. Thats what friends are for though.
Old 05-24-2008, 01:23 PM
David Kraft

I don't know where the truck was located. I never made the run, so did not attempt to find out where gas could be purchased.

Dave Kraft