Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Out of fuel at FLW - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Tournament Message Board

Old 05-08-2008, 03:34 PM
Charter Member

Default Out of fuel at FLW

While reading the articles from FLW Pierre, SD I saw stated that "several"(FLW words, not mine) pro's ran out of gas on the return trip from the West Bend area most of the field seem to be fishing? It states this is approx. a 60 mile round trip which isn't very far by todays tourney boat standards. I would think that should be 1/2-2/3 of a tank for most boats used at these events. My Skeeter has 52 gal. capacity and an F200 and we make a 110-115 round trip run every year at a fall tourney we have here in the NW with plenty of fuel to spare. Usually run 3/4-full throttle for the 70-75 minute ride. 60 miles just didn't seem very far to run with todays boats and motors that are being ran at these events.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2008, 04:59 PM
soo

Default RE: Out of fuel at FLW

I thought I heard 60 miles each way. I could be wrong though.
Old 05-08-2008, 05:49 PM
Tracy unlogged

I guess buying a 621 to save on fuel isn't a good option. I already get 1.5 miles to the gallon on my 27' Sportcraft!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2008, 08:49 PM
walleyehunter(co)

Joes Creek is 35mi one way. West Bend is quite a bit further that that. At least 45-50 each way for West Bend.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:51 AM
Charter Member

I see today's WC article list's the Westbend run as 55 miles one way. That makes much more sense with regards to having fuel shortage issues..
Old 05-09-2008, 08:20 AM
veradodude

If I had to travel that far with my 250 Verado on my 2025 Pro-V, I'd have a tough time making it back. I'd be ok if I didn't do any other running around or trolling, but if I did I'd come up short...
Old 05-09-2008, 12:50 PM
Curt

North Bend is 60 miles one way. Some were running 140 round trip.

I ran to the Joe Creek area on Sat, 100 miles round trip, at 40 mph with my Pro V, 225 Merc, Pro XS, put in 25 gallons of gas to fill. If you run wide open, you won't make it.

Pa karp
Old 05-09-2008, 01:50 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the info Curt. The FLW online articles from Wed. made it sound to ME like a 30 mile or so trip one way so this sounded weird that guys were running out of fuel. This info makes much more sense. Maybe I just misread the info but it talked about it in a couple of places.
As far as your Pro-V goes, I assume you have a 50-60 gal tank on board? If so you were around 1/2 tank to do this 100 mile run? Thats pretty impressive fuel economy.
Old 05-09-2008, 03:20 PM
WAZZZ

I don't think it was much of an issue, only two boats zeroed. Who knows why?
Old 05-10-2008, 03:49 AM
Curt

RDJ,

I have a 48 gallon tank, reserve included. The boat is a 1900, full windshield. I did not mention that I trolled lead core for probably 4 hours with my 9.8.

My oil consumtion for that 100 miles was a about a third of a gallon. Of course wide open the gas mileage would be about 2 and the oil use would be way up.

There were several boats out of gas on Thursday. Most that were out sent their Co's in with other boats to weigh fish.

Pa karp