Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
LCX-16 surface clutter - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 06-05-2003, 12:19 PM
Keeper

Default LCX-16 surface clutter

My LCX 16 shows so much surface clutter (from 0 down to about 15 ft) that if there are any fish in that range I cant see them for the clutter. This is in the "non fish ID" mode. Is this normal or is there something wrong with my unit. I'm pretty happy with it otherwise.

All you guys who have LCX-15 or LCX-16 units...how does yours look?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2003, 12:44 PM
Wallhanger

Default RE: LCX-16 surface clutter

If I crank the sensativity up too high I get clutter. In 20 feet of water I see about 3 feet of surface clutter. If it is truly clutter that you are seeing it should adjust out. I have got fooled by bait fish and algee near the surface.
dean

Fishing Lake Erie aboard "DENIED"

(I don't represent any manufacturer or supplier "I pay my own way")
Old 06-05-2003, 02:13 PM
Keeper

The "clutter" I see is always there when the sensitivity is in auto mode, no matter what the depth of the water. If I put it in manual sensitivity and start turning it down til the "clutter" disappears, then the fish disappear also. The "surface clutter" adjustment only clears the top 5 feet of the "clutter". There is still about 10 feet of the "clutter" on the display masking any fish present in that portion of the water column. I can see fish just fine below that 10-15 foot level. When I go to the "Fish ID" mode the clutter disappears of course and the "fish" show up great but I don't want to run in that mode all the time for obvious reasons. The same 10-15 ft "clutter" is present in my "demo" display. Does this match the operation of your units?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2003, 02:59 PM
Wallhanger

No it does not match what I see on mine. But I only run in manual mode. Clutter from too much sensativity goes from the top to the bottom of the screen, are you sure you are not seeing something that is really there? Such as alga in the top x feet of water.
You might want to contact Lowarance tech service, they are good to help.

Also, go to http://www.cliftond.com/helpful.html then scroll down to Sept / August of last year. There are two pictures of screens of my x-16. One is from zero to 30 feet and shows about 5 feet of clutter.

dean

Fishing Lake Erie aboard "DENIED"

(I don't represent any manufacturer or supplier "I pay my own way")
Old 06-06-2003, 01:31 PM
Keeper

Thanks for your feedback. Mine certianly looks different than yours. That top 5 ft band would be 10-15 ft on mine. I don't know if it could be something in the water. I don't have that much experience yet. This is my first boat and I've only had it in two different lakes. Both seemed pretty much the same as far as the sonar display looks. The thing that bothers me a lot is that my demo display looks the same. Does your demo display have a 10-15 ft surface clutter?

Thanks again.
Old 06-06-2003, 09:34 PM

I had the same problem with my x-15. I tried alot of different settings to work it out but have yet to find a happy balance.
Old 06-18-2003, 08:22 PM
Al Pa

I get more clutter on my x16 than Dean shows on his web page. This weekend I'll take a photo of my screen and post it for comparison.

Al
Old 06-19-2003, 07:02 AM
Tim FRick

Dean,
What's the fastest you can go and still mark fish? I just got the 188C Garmin and I max out at 6-8 mph before the screen gets to cluttered. Maybe others that have this unit can add there two cents. I'm debating weather to move the transducer to a new location if others get better reading on faster speeds. I had a hummingbird wide one that was able to mark fish at cruising speed (20-25 mph). Although that unit didn't shopw the fish as marks but icons. Thanks for the input.
Good Luck!!
Tim FRick
Old 06-19-2003, 07:14 AM
Charter Member

I can go about 20 mph with my x16 and still have a readable screen but the slower you go the better the target seperation. my transducer it the bronze thru hull. If any one wants a sonar file to compare to there's I could email you one.
Thomas