Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
2004 WCGT in Huron or Vermillion? Need Your votes! - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

View Poll Results: 2004 WCGT in Huron or Vermillion? Need Your votes!
Vermillion 28 96.55%
Huron 1 3.45%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 03-04-2004, 01:36 PM
Juls_OH

Default 2004 WCGT in Huron or Vermillion? Need Your votes!

Here's the deal everyone...
The city of Vermillion has approached us, and asked if we would let them host our Annual Walleye Central Get Together this year. (Vermillion is maybe 15-20(?) minutes East of Huron.)

Their offer is better than we could have ever imagined, and we don't want to pass it up, if at all possible. There's one hitch though...the dates will change from November 5th & 6th to Oct. 22nd & 23rd.

The city of Vermillion has already done some of the things that they offered to do, like putting new fish cleaning stations in at some of the better launch facilities, and getting the Hall and Charity dinner "donated". The Hall and dinner donation makes it too good to pass up, since the money that we would normally spend on the hall and dinner can now go directly to the Charity that we choose this year.

They have also offered to supply coffee and doughnuts at the various launches the morning of our Bragging Rights Tournament, and they also planned on getting the news media involved that weekend.

We want your votes, so that we know if the people of Walleye Central, who have regulary made the trip here every year, will be able to make it here on the new dates, or how they feel about fishing at the end of Oct. instead of the first weekend in November.
We are limited on our pick of dates, since the owner of the Hall only has certain dates open, and since she is "donating" the Hall and Charity Dinner, we're not going to argue. That's a lot of money to donate, and it's very generous if you ask me.

Please vote, and leave a short note with your reason. If you have any questions please feel free to ask those too, and we will try to answer them the best we can. We will leave this poll here for a few days to get an idea of how everyone feels about the move, then we will let Vermillion know if we can change the dates, and move the event to their town.

Thanks, and have a great day!

Juls
P.S. If you are not planning on coming to this year's event, please DON'T vote.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2004, 02:43 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: 2004 WCGT in Huron or Vermillion? Need Your votes!

Juls,
It's a No Brainer. Vermillion is making a great offer. From talking to the charter guys that moved from Huron to Vermillion last year - Vermillion bent over backwards to accomodate them. Earlier in the year offers a little better chance for better weather...

Either way - it is the first week of March. 9 months notice. Anyone that wants to be there WILL. No way to accomodate everyone when the event is so big.

About 10 miles by water.

Really all that is changing is the location of the dinner and the Bragging Rights tournament to the Vermillion site.

Steve Carlson
Old 03-04-2004, 03:42 PM
Charter Member

Juls,
I actually like the idea of the date being moved up. A slightly better chance of good weather for one. Also the original date often interfered with family things like Halloween etc. As far as location, well, last two years we've been docked in Vermillion anyways. The only drawback I can see at this point is lack of inexpensive motels in Vermillion vs. Huron, but it's not insurmountable. It can be a tossup either way as far as which ones closer to the fish.
my 2 cents
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2004, 04:03 PM
Charter Member

Steve,
You're right. It is a no brainer, but you know us at WC..we like to know what YOU GUYS and GALS want. This is for all of us, and not just those of us who are lucky enough to live here on this fantastic walleye lake.
Basically, we know that Vermillion has superior launch facilities, and better parking availability, a banquet hall that will fit all of us, with grounds that will allow us to bring in more boats for "show and tell", and fish cleaning availability right at a few of the ramps now. I don't see lodging as a big problem, since it is not out of the question for people who want to stay at the same places they have stayed at in the past, over in Huron. It's a short drive, and a pretty one at that, so that's not a big factor. Vermillion also has nice lodging facilities, so for those that do want to stay in Vermillion, they can do so for just about the same expense.

We're trying to work out special rate packages for a couple of the hotels in Vermillion. We won't know about that for awhile yet.

So, the only question is...is Oct.22 and 23rd ok with everyone, or do we stay in Huron on the weekend of Nov. 5th and 6th?

Personally, I would rather see it earlier for the same reasons Mike (Boatnut) stated. A greater chance for having better weather.
Sure, we got out to fish last year, but the two years before that, we were blown off, and no one fished.

You already know where my vote was placed..LOL

Rick
Old 03-04-2004, 04:19 PM
Super Moderator

Rick,
Agree with everything - especially that there is no reason people can't still stay in Huron if they want - River's Edge is nice - can't see them not offering discounts again as long as we have people. Some people will probally still want to keep boats at Huron Boat Basin - I probally will. Both communities benefit when we are all in town. Can't see the Get Together getting any smaller. See ya on the water soon!
Steve
Old 03-04-2004, 04:50 PM
Wallhanger

The earlier date works better for us. Has anyone talked to Huron City Council to see if they want better the offer? I think they should have the opportunity as they have been the site of the GTG so far.

dean

Fishing Lake Erie aboard "DENIED"

(I don't represent any manufacturer or supplier "I pay my own way")
Old 03-04-2004, 04:53 PM
Charter Member

like mentioned, those dates seem better....after so many years at huron i know about the places to stay...hope here about the places at vermillion when you get more info......WC is always gettin better :)
Old 03-04-2004, 04:59 PM
Wallhanger

This date change is good for me.First week of nov. is always spent up north with my dad bowhunting.This change would get me there !
Old 03-04-2004, 05:03 PM
Huck

Sounds great to me,like the earlier date. Tried to vote and said I had already voted. 11 votes should be 12. Huck PS 85 here in Fl today!!!
Old 03-04-2004, 05:11 PM
Wallhanger

I've never been out there, but am planning on attending this year. Would someone be so kind as to answering one question for me. I have a good deal on a house for rent for the RCL in April, and it is, as I understand, about half way between Port Clinton and Catawba, and right next to a public landing (1/4 mile). My question is....How far would that put me from this Vermillion place? I might be able to reserve this place up for the get together if it is feasible. If it is available and feasible, it is a full size 4 bedroom house with sleeping for 8 people. There is a canal that comes right up to the house that we can moor our boats in at night and it is only $25/man/night!

If this is close, and you are interested, let me know if you want in on it and I will reserve it for that weekend.
Closed Thread