Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Lac Seul Report - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 07-08-2015, 07:53 AM
Wallhanger

Thumbs up Lac Seul Report

I apologize for the delay in this report but I have been extremely busy since getting back from Lac Seul last Friday Night.
My group was at Mahkwa Lodge from June 26th – July 3rd.
Many thanks to the Limeyangler for his time and video work done on the detour!
The lodge said the original road “Might be open for 1 lane on July 3rd” – that did not happen.
I do not know the status of the Road and Lynx Road detour. My advice is to call the Lodge before leaving home.
The weather during our stay was warm, partly cloudy (rain at night a couple times, couple of showers during the day and real thunderstorm on Thursday afternoon/evening starting about 3PM).
The key weather element all week was the wind.
The winds for the most part were fairly light, when the wind died and/or shifted the walleye bite also died.
We found the best action from 5’ – 12’ of water, occasionally caught walleyes in 12’ plus when the winds died.
A few fish in 2’ -5’.
Primarily fished with crawlers and spinner rigs moving .8 – 1.3 mph on the GPS.
We found the fish to be very aggressive, very healthy, and strong.
3 of our days easily rank among the best days of walleye fishing we have had on Lac Seul in the past 10 years.
We did catch a number of fish on jigs tipped with minnows, crawlers and leeches in 12’ of water.
Main lake water temp when we arrived was about 64 degrees, when we departed about 68 degrees.
I did check a number of reef edges early in the week in 20- 30 feet of water and found little walleye activity.
Thus we concentrated on points and islands particularly flat sand and gravel areas.
We spotted minnows in the water in the best areas.
Mayfly were hatching when we arrived and the hatch progressively grew through the week.
The largest walleyes caught were 27” with the majority of the fish in the slot and larger.
Again the keys to fishing this week were: (1) Fish the wind (2) look for minnows/bait in the water.

JDP
John Peterson
Woodbury, MN

Last edited by JDP; 07-08-2015 at 01:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement