Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
My first fishing equipment - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 03-24-2019, 09:17 PM
Keeper

Default My first fishing equipment

When I was about 13 years old in the early 1950s I wanted some fishing equipment. There was a pond not to far from my home and I wanted to fish. My dad who was not a fisherman bought me a used casting outfit with a steel pole and a bait caster spooled with the old black nylon line. I think there was a couple of lures with it, one was a River Runt and the other a Jitter Bug. I never did get to be able to cast the thing without a monster back-lash. I just about gave up on fishing until my uncle fixed me up with a cane pole and a bobber outfit. I thank my long gone uncle for stopping me from giving up something I have enjoyed for many years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2019, 07:12 AM
Wallhanger

Yeah, my old Garcia Mitchell 300 paired with a trusty old Eagle Claw fiberglass rod caught a lot of fish back in the day, probably more than the expensive stuff I use now. One rod and reel for everything.

I don't think I used a baitcaster until I was much older and out of college when I picked up my first Abu Garcia Ambassadeur. It wasn't until they came out with the low profile baitcasters that I really started using them regularly. A big birds nest is certainly a way to ruin an otherwise good day.
Old 03-25-2019, 09:53 AM
Wallhanger

You too!
I was really small and had an all metal bait caster and a metal pole. The only way I could cast that darn thing was to pull a bunch of line off the reel and throw it out by hand into the canal where I fished, problem solved!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2019, 03:13 PM
Keeper

Zebco 202.
Didn't every kid start on a Zebco 202 spincaster?
Hated taking the cover off when the line broke but otherwise a pretty trustworthy way to begin learning how to fish.

Next reel was one of those basic bare-bones metal baitcasting reels than always backlashed unless you were an experienced veteran with them.
Black dacron braid wasn't too hard to untangle, unless you really set a knot hard.
The only thing we used those for was bank fishing for sturgeon in the Chippewa River.

Anonymouse didn't get a spinning reel until hitting his early 20s & the only modern baitcaster he's owned was a 1980s Abu Garcia 6500C.
Tried a few of those low-profile modern baitcating reels with fancy magnetic anti-backlash features over the years, that friends owned, but never really took a liking to baitcasting reels in general.
Today Anoymouse owns more than dozen spinning reels in various sizes (none more expensive than $69) and is perfectly happy using them for any type of fishing, any time of year.

One supposes fishing equipment is like guns.
Some peeps like to own really expensive models costing $1,000 & up,but they don't kill stuff any deader than a simple lever action 32 Special (khrist, are they getting expensive these days) or semi-automatic 30-06 costing under $400.
Some peeps look at owning the equipment as a sport in itself and others view it as a means to an end.
Whichever way you view it, and it works for you, then that's really all you need.
Spending egregious amounts of loot on equipment is more about the fisherman than the fish anyway.

Last edited by Anonymouse; 03-25-2019 at 03:22 PM.
Old 03-25-2019, 03:27 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymouse View Post
Zebco 202.
Didn't every kid start on a Zebco 202 spincaster?
Hated taking the cover off when the line broke but otherwise a pretty trustworthy way to begin learning how to fish.

Next reel was one of those basic bare-bones metal baitcasting reels than always backlashed unless you were an experienced veteran with them.
Black dacron braid wasn't too hard to untangle, unless you really set a knot hard.
The only thing we used those for was bank fishing for sturgeon in the Chippewa River.

Anonymouse didn't get a spinning reel until hitting his early 20s & the only modern baitcaster he's owned was a 1980s Abu Garcia 6500C.
Tried a few of those low-profile modern baitcating reels with fancy magnetic anti-backlash features over the years, that friends owned, but never really took a liking to baitcasting reels in general.
Today Anoymouse owns more than dozen spinning reels in various sizes (none more expensive than $69) and is perfectly happy using them for any type of fishing, any time of year.
First of all, I don’t care what color your posts are. That having been said, yes, a Zebco 202 was my first reel. It came with a fiberglass rod as a combo, I doubt was more than $5. I don’t do much casting with a bait caster, but I like them for trolling and bottom bouncing. If Billy was born @ 1940 there wasn’t a 202 for him to start out with. I threw “zebco 202” into google and got this:

https://www.fishingtalks.us/blog-pos...the-zebco-202/
Old 03-25-2019, 03:33 PM
Wallhanger

Just had to dunk that old zebco in the water a couple times every now then, that kept em running good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-25-2019, 05:00 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldman View Post
First of all, I don’t care what color your posts are. That having been said, yes, a Zebco 202 was my first reel. It came with a fiberglass rod as a combo, I doubt was more than $5. I don’t do much casting with a bait caster, but I like them for trolling and bottom bouncing. If Billy was born @ 1940 there wasn’t a 202 for him to start out with. I threw “zebco 202” into google and got this:

https://www.fishingtalks.us/blog-pos...the-zebco-202/
Billy, born in 1937, I did get a Zebco in the 1960s, a 909 with dual ceramic pick up pins. A darn good reel in its day. I still have it for the kids to fish for gills.

Billy
Old 03-25-2019, 05:11 PM
Wallhanger

My very first rod and reel was a Zebco 33 and matching rod from a rummage sale wore that thing out in one season. My next was a Abu Garcia 300 with matching rod again from a rummage sale. Once I got a part time job I purchased a brand new AbuGarcia 5000 red cannot remember the name of the rod. Next was a Diawa Millionaire blue and rod. Still have all these reels rods are still here but bad shape.

I will never forget when my friend got a new spinning rod reel combo where the button was built into the top of the handle I was so jealous but his folks had money.
Old 03-25-2019, 06:23 PM
Charter Member

After the last child jammed up the zebco again, I asked all of the kids for their poles with zebcos on them.

I removed all of the zebcos from the poles and threw each of them as far from the boat as possible.

Then, I tied 10 feet of line to the tip of each pole and all of the kids started catching all kinds of pan fish.

The bottom of the lake made a wonderful final resting place for these reels.

Be safe
Old 03-25-2019, 06:33 PM
Wallhanger

OK another old guy. 1949 I had an old baitcaster(single action) Dacron line and it was only used to drop the bait down to the bottom and reel it back in. About 1952 my dad had a zebco spinning reel! It was all nylon(at least on the outside) Has anyone else seen one of those? Bob