Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
How much "slop" in a trailer hitch is acceptable? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 03-29-2019, 04:49 PM
Wallhanger

Default How much "slop" in a trailer hitch is acceptable?

I got a nice WeighSafe hitch as a gift this past Xmas, and there is about about 3/8" of play in the reciever. Just wondering how much play is okay, or if I should have my shop shim it. I know it'll be a bit noisey with play in it...but I'm told it won't hurt anything.

https://www.etrailer.com/Ball-Mounts...YaAqnpEALw_wcB

In the past i have persuaded some washers in there myself with a hammer. But they eventually work their way out. Someone else suggested aluminum tape. Looking for something a bit more permanent, but still be able to remove it from Nov-April

Looking for suggestions. Thx!

Last edited by Derwood; 03-29-2019 at 04:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2019, 07:29 PM
Charter Member

O slop is acceptable.

Just take your rig to a welding shop. Have them run a bead of weld down the drawbar to increase the size. Then, they can grind down the weld for a virtual perfect fit.

When using the drawbar, keep it well greased so that it does not rust. If the hitch and or the drawbar rusts, the thicker rust will cause the drawbar to stick in the hitch.

A good shop can likely do the job in 15 minutes for a permanent fix.

Good luck
Old 03-29-2019, 07:34 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derwood View Post
I got a nice WeighSafe hitch as a gift this past Xmas, and there is about about 3/8" of play in the reciever. Just wondering how much play is okay, or if I should have my shop shim it. I know it'll be a bit noisey with play in it...but I'm told it won't hurt anything.

https://www.etrailer.com/Ball-Mounts...YaAqnpEALw_wcB

In the past i have persuaded some washers in there myself with a hammer. But they eventually work their way out. Someone else suggested aluminum tape. Looking for something a bit more permanent, but still be able to remove it from Nov-April

Looking for suggestions. Thx!
Are you saying with the receiver hitch in and the pin in place you can pull it forward and back 3/8"?

That seems excessive. Are you guessing the distance or have you measured it? If so, do you have the correct pin?
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2019, 07:43 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Minnesota guy View Post
Are you saying with the receiver hitch in and the pin in place you can pull it forward and back 3/8"?

That seems excessive. Are you guessing the distance or have you measured it? If so, do you have the correct pin?
No I can lift it up and down about that much.
Old 03-29-2019, 08:17 PM
Wallhanger

Is it both up and down and side to side slop?

Instead of welding maybe take a sheet of tin thick enough to tighten the fit, one the side make it the same size and length as the bar and punch a hole in it where the pin goes, it won't come out, and on top tight and long enough to stay there.

I've had slop in more receivers than I cab remember and just lived with it, the ball and hitch should have just a bit of play also best I remember talking to the Rigid Hitch guy.

Al
Old 03-29-2019, 08:19 PM
Keeper

Default hitch

plus 1 what REW said
Old 03-29-2019, 08:28 PM
Wallhanger

Instead of welding, try this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoh-kC1lic8

Al
Old 03-29-2019, 08:32 PM
Keeper

Ok....Ill ask the obvious question. Do you have the new 2 1/2 inch hitch? Putting a 2 inch ball mount into it? 3/8 or so of play is a lot.
Old 03-29-2019, 08:36 PM
Charter Member

Derwood,
Here are some videos about folks that used different methods to reduce slop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIZCgPixJgI
In the video listed above, the fellow drilled and tapped a hole in the bottom of the hitch and put in a bolt to eliminate the play.

Although this is a good idea, if I were doing it, I would drill and tap through the side of the hitch.
I wold also use a grade 8 bolt. I would also make it short enough so that I could put a lock washer under the heat of the bolt and have the bolt get tight on the lock washer at the same time that the end of the bolt, pinned the hitch in place.

----------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0kJNv5adcQ
this one uses a welded back on the tow bar and a bolt through a heavy washer through the back of the hitch to remove the rattle.

--------------------------
Another welded in plug to the rear of the drawbar with a heavy duty washer on the back of the hitch with a heavy bolt through the washer into the plug to eliminate the slop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5eBFhJwWY8
Old 03-29-2019, 08:38 PM
Wallhanger

Measure the ID of the receiver to make sure it's a 2" receiver, 3/8" seems like a lot of play.
They make a 2 1/2" receiver that they make a insert for to reduce it to 2", possible you may have one on the vehicle with the amount of play you are describing.

Dang, as I was typing IdahoGuy posted, well now you have 2 posts about checking for the 2 1/2" hitch.

Last edited by grizzley; 03-29-2019 at 08:44 PM.