Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Switching to a 4 blade prop- - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 06-16-2019, 07:13 PM
Wallhanger

I tried a few on my princecraft deck boat and 150 merc (same as yours). I love my 4 blade turning point propeller. It is aluminum as I run a rocky river all the time. They are cheap and it performs well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2019, 10:40 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddybigfins View Post
So I'm thinking of trying a 4 blade prop to have a slower planing speed and better boat control in rough water. I never run at WOT, and hate the prop rattle that I can't shake by trying different hubs. I'm running a 2018 1875 Impact Sport, 150 4 stroke with 19p Tempest. My question is should I stay with a 19p if I went with a 4 blade Spitfire or change pitch? Anyone with this boat tried this?
I have a 2025 Impact with 19p Tempest as well. Torque it to 140ft lbs. I think there is old info for like 90?

I have a very small amount of rattle almost not noticeable,

Worth a try if you aren't already at 140 or so.

I have a new 200 Merc.

I'm wanting to try the 4 blade aluminum spitfire just to see how it performs......

Rick
Old 06-20-2019, 04:04 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoodswalleye View Post
Had identical boat/motor and tried both a 19p bravo LT and a 20p FS. Both worked similar but motor needed to be raised to 4th hole
Why does the motor need to be raised?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2019, 10:15 AM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPKing814 View Post
Why does the motor need to be raised?
Four blades turn harder (compared to an equivalent 3 blade) but "grip" the water betterl. This allows you to run the motor higher resulting in less motor drag.

You want to run any propeller as high as you can to reduce motor drag, it's just 4 blades are generally able to run higher than a 3 blade.
Old 06-23-2019, 03:33 AM
Charter Member

Just be aware that for many folks, they find that they lose reverse performance when switching from a 3 blade to a 4 blade prop.

If you only reverse when docking it will be manageable, but if you do a bunch of back trolling you may find that you will like a 3 or 2 blade prop better than a 3 or 4 blade prop.

Best wishes.
Old 06-23-2019, 08:22 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
Just be aware that for many folks, they find that they lose reverse performance when switching from a 3 blade to a 4 blade prop.

If you only reverse when docking it will be manageable, but if you do a bunch of back trolling you may find that you will like a 3 or 2 blade prop better than a 3 or 4 blade prop.

Best wishes.
Now REW, When was the last time you saw a fishing boat with a 2 blade prop on anything but an electric trolling motor?
Ches.
Old 06-23-2019, 10:31 AM
Keeper

I have a 7.5 and 4.5 both mercs both have 2 blade props both power small aluminum fishing boats that catch plenty of fish
Old 06-23-2019, 11:23 AM
Keeper

Thanks for the replies. My experience with the 4 blade spitfire is that the all around performance isn't as good as the Tempest but I can see using it for hauling the ridiculously heavy loads that I carry when going out for a weeks camping trip with 2-3 guys.
The hole shot is better but the Tempest isn't bad until you put a huge amount of weight in the boat. I could run about 1.5 mph slower and still stay on plane, which is an improvement but isn't enough of a difference in my mind to justify a switch. I couldn't trim out as far with the spitfire and still stay hooked up which surprised me after what I had read here(motor is in the third hole). The top speed/rpm difference just doesn't matter to me but I lost 1.5 mph at 4000 rpm. The motor would make a whining noise if I backed off of the throttle too fast while decelerating with the spitfire, not sure what would cause that. There was no prop rattle with the spitfire though, that was nice. I'll probably run both props thru the summer to get a better feel for the differences but as of now I think I like the performance of the Tempest better.