Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Tale of the Trappers Camp: A Wabakimi Legend - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 06-11-2019, 08:02 AM
bigwalleye1's Avatar
bigwalleye1 bigwalleye1 is offline
Wallhanger
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: East Bethel, MN
Posts: 2,335
Default

Wow! What a great read! I think about some of the old cabins I see the ruins of on our Lac Seul trips....
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #12  
Old 06-11-2019, 10:53 AM
Mike Borger's Avatar
Mike Borger Mike Borger is offline
Wallhanger
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: The Great White North
Posts: 1,500
Default

This should have been published on the website a long time ago, so my apologies to Bill for taking so long!


I'm a bit biased, but like everyone else I loved the story. It's precisely the kind of thing I like to read myself.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-13-2019, 07:44 AM
gordy28 gordy28 is offline
Slot Fish
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Mississauga, Ontario
Posts: 124
Default

What a great way to kill some time on a slow morning

I really enjoyed it

I love reading stories like this - well written and researched. I hope you are visiting the cabin this year

Thanks
Andrew
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #14  
Old 06-13-2019, 04:45 PM
AMPHIB206's Avatar
AMPHIB206 AMPHIB206 is offline
Keeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada.
Posts: 154
Default Cabin

Id love to see an updated pic of the 12 footer, as well as their 4ft live well and even the outhouse or trap shack. Great story.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-14-2019, 11:15 AM
wbgbesox wbgbesox is offline
Minnow
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: .
Posts: 51
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikeslayer8 View Post
https://www.canadafishingguide.net/tale-of-the.../...
I'm pretty pleased with the way this turned out. Thank you Mike Borger!
Very interesting article
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-19-2019, 03:09 PM
TexFly TexFly is offline
Minnow
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: S. Texas
Posts: 23
Default

Great read PikeSlayer! We've seen the camp, but never ventured around. We lost my dad exactly a month ago, so this trip in July will be special.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-20-2019, 09:04 AM
Pikeslayer8's Avatar
Pikeslayer8 Pikeslayer8 is offline
Wallhanger
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Parker, Colorado
Posts: 1,457
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kona77 View Post
I have always loved these type of stories.. Great read.. Appreciate all the research and history on the cabin and family..
Thanks Kona!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Bound View Post
An interesting read, thank you
Thanks KB

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornToFish View Post
Greetings,

A fascinating story - very well done! Thank you for sharing.

Very kindest regards....
Thanks BTF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clairebear View Post
Awesome story, thank you so much for sharing.
Thanks Cb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry S View Post
Very interesting story. I fished for a number of times with Thousand Lakes Outposts at their Kearns Lake Cabin. There was a log cabin built in the 1960's by an American Couple who were there to get away from the Vietnam War. The cabin is run down ,but still there about 100 yards behind the camp. There are still lots of old stuff in the cabin Maybe someone who has gone to Kearns for many years can add a lot more on this than me

Larry S
Thanks Larry, bet that cabin has a story to tell

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeinMN View Post
Great story and very well told. I also hope the MNR does not remove the remains of that cabin and boat. I don't think I'll ever be there, but I like knowing it's there.
Thanks Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniMuskie View Post
That was a very enjoyable read. Well done and thanks for sharing.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeHooksHimself View Post
Thanks for that Pikeslayer. I know you love Wabakami and it is great to so you have a stake in a piece of history. Nice work.

Hooks
Never quite looked at it that way, Thanks Hooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Minnesota guy View Post
There is a old trappers cabin on the way to VNP in Minnesota. It's currently occupied but I often wonder the stories that cabin could tell. A bygone era for sure that few of us could handle.

Thanks for the post.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwalleye1 View Post
Wow! What a great read! I think about some of the old cabins I see the ruins of on our Lac Seul trips....
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Borger View Post
This should have been published on the website a long time ago, so my apologies to Bill for taking so long!


I'm a bit biased, but like everyone else I loved the story. It's precisely the kind of thing I like to read myself.
Big special thank you to Mike. I'm certainly not much of a writer, but Mike worked hard with me as I wrote this, teaching me what was required. I had a story to tell and Mike gave me the platform to tell it. Thank you, thank you my friend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordy28 View Post
What a great way to kill some time on a slow morning

I really enjoyed it

I love reading stories like this - well written and researched. I hope you are visiting the cabin this year

Thanks
Andrew
Yup, I just got back from Wabakimi, did a slow drift with my son and a soft prayer for Sarah Crookham

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMPHIB206 View Post
Id love to see an updated pic of the 12 footer, as well as their 4ft live well and even the outhouse or trap shack. Great story.
Lol, that live well was the first to go. I looked at where it was and you would not even guess that a well was there

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbgbesox View Post
Very interesting article
Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexFly View Post
Great read PikeSlayer! We've seen the camp, but never ventured around. We lost my dad exactly a month ago, so this trip in July will be special.
I'm so sorry Ed. We had my dad's memorial service at the shore lunch spot across from the entrance to the West End. Magical place.
__________________
Lets go fishin
Pikeslayer8
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-22-2019, 02:24 PM
Lake Of The Woods's Avatar
Lake Of The Woods Lake Of The Woods is offline
Slot Fish
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 123
Default

A great story that feeds that romantic side of the wilderness. After reading it I felt compelled to contact a good friend of mine in Thunder Bay who works as a Hydrometric Survey Technologist in the Water Survey Division of Environment Canada. He said he does not personally know Joel Crookham but has heard his name mentioned over the years. He gave me some information on Joel that pertains to a business he ran in Armstrong, Ontario and is going to investigate further then contact me with what he finds. Once he gets back to me I will post what the findings are.

As well, I have included a picture of a trappers cabin I stubbled across some 25+ years ago in a remote area north of Kenora. I lived in the area and would fish the lake two or three times a year always taking the time to check up on the cabin. Not sure how long it had been there before I discovered it but it seems in decent shape without any signs of collapse or significant rot. There are White Cedar trees growing in the area and if the cabin was built using these trees that may explain it not decaying due to the natural thujaplicins preservatives.

The windows are all boarded over and the door has an old rusty lock on it,... but the thing that is really noticeable when you first see it is the many bear claw markings on all for sides of the exterior. The trap line trail is still identifiable,... or at least it was the last time I was there which was some 8+ years ago.

Anyways, I'm sure there are many more of these cabins with interesting stories attached to them. I plan on going back up that way next summer and will be sure to take pictures of what still remains.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trappers Cabin Northwest Ontario.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	319.0 KB
ID:	311130  
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-24-2019, 03:53 PM
Pikeslayer8's Avatar
Pikeslayer8 Pikeslayer8 is offline
Wallhanger
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Parker, Colorado
Posts: 1,457
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Of The Woods View Post
A great story that feeds that romantic side of the wilderness. After reading it I felt compelled to contact a good friend of mine in Thunder Bay who works as a Hydrometric Survey Technologist in the Water Survey Division of Environment Canada. He said he does not personally know Joel Crookham but has heard his name mentioned over the years. He gave me some information on Joel that pertains to a business he ran in Armstrong, Ontario and is going to investigate further then contact me with what he finds. Once he gets back to me I will post what the findings are.

As well, I have included a picture of a trappers cabin I stubbled across some 25+ years ago in a remote area north of Kenora. I lived in the area and would fish the lake two or three times a year always taking the time to check up on the cabin. Not sure how long it had been there before I discovered it but it seems in decent shape without any signs of collapse or significant rot. There are White Cedar trees growing in the area and if the cabin was built using these trees that may explain it not decaying due to the natural thujaplicins preservatives.

The windows are all boarded over and the door has an old rusty lock on it,... but the thing that is really noticeable when you first see it is the many bear claw markings on all for sides of the exterior. The trap line trail is still identifiable,... or at least it was the last time I was there which was some 8+ years ago.

Anyways, I'm sure there are many more of these cabins with interesting stories attached to them. I plan on going back up that way next summer and will be sure to take pictures of what still remains.
I'm guessin the business of Joel's is the tree planting business he ran outta Armstrong.

I can't wait to see the pics of that old camp and I'm sure it has a cool story to tell.

Thanks Lake
__________________
Lets go fishin
Pikeslayer8
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.