Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
power pro - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 06-18-2019, 08:33 AM
Minnow

Default power pro

I put power pro on my walleye, pike reels last year and it works great. Had good luck with spectra power pro on off shore tuna outfits it lasts for years. I don't know about this power pro microfilament braided line how long it will last before the environment weakens it. Any ideas of when to change it. I change my top shots and floro reels every year, so what are the thoughs on changing braided lines?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2019, 09:27 AM
Keeper

I've had some reels with the same spool of power pro for multiple years. It all depends on how much usage it gets and how much time it spends in the sun. Once it's heavily faded and I can see signs of fraying or weakening I'll either replace it or flip it so the used/damaged stuff becomes backing.
Old 06-18-2019, 10:08 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerHornen View Post
I've had some reels with the same spool of power pro for multiple years. It all depends on how much usage it gets and how much time it spends in the sun. Once it's heavily faded and I can see signs of fraying or weakening I'll either replace it or flip it so the used/damaged stuff becomes backing.
Back when I used to run braid on all my trolling setups, I would flip the line every year. I actually bought an identical spare reel so I could just reel each setup on to a different reel and be good to go. Granted back then I was running Okuma Magda Reels that you could pick up new for like $35 which was 1/3 of the price of a new bulk spool of braid. Not sure I could justify that now that I run much more expensive reels, but I run all mono on my trolling setups so no need for it anymore.

Alumacraft 175 Tourney Pro - 150 Merc, 8hp Tohatsu, Helix 9 SI/DI, 24v Terrova w/iPilot Link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2019, 01:13 PM
Wallhanger

For the most part, I love braided line and like others have said, just switch the line direction every year. It's good for at least 2 years if not more. The one problem I've had with braid is when the line occasionally cuts into the spool on a baitcasting reel. If you don't realize it when it happens, on your next cast your bait will stop abruptly in mid-air. If you're using a fluorocarbon leader, the line might break when it stops so abruptly, especially when you're throwing hard for distance casting.

Worst case - I set the hook on a snag one day and dug the line deep into the spool. I ended up having to cut the entire spool of line out of my reel to fix it. 20# braid is the diameter of 6# mono, so the strong thin line will sometimes cut fairly deep into the spool.

Just the other day I was throwing a 3/8 ounce spinner bait. To mix up the retrieve and give it a little extra action, I occasionally gave it a tug or twitch on retrieve. On maybe 6 occasions, the next cast would mess up. You shouldn't have any problems with a steady retrieve. It also should not happen as often when using heavier (thicker) line on a pike or musky set-up.
Old 06-18-2019, 01:49 PM
Slot Fish

BPS has PowerPro for 50% off. Of course some options are out of stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-18-2019, 02:08 PM
Minnow

Mojo where are you in NC, I'm in pinehurst.
Old 06-18-2019, 02:32 PM
Charter Member

Likely 20 years is a reasonable life for power pro braided fishing line.

My understanding is that the UF really has little to no effects on this line.

Naturally, if the line gets worn due to use it needs to be replaced.
Old 06-18-2019, 03:06 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmeo View Post
Mojo where are you in NC, I'm in pinehurst.
I'm just north of Chapel Hill in Hillsborough. Back when I played golf a lot, I visited your area quite often. I used to love to play the Legacy course.
Old 06-19-2019, 09:07 AM
Charter Member

Most braids seem to last forever, which has to be a nightmare for the line companies who were used to mono patrons restocking every year or so. As I have mentioned in the past, I believe the reason for "new and improved" ad's every year is to entice more purchases of the latest, before the line has outlived its utility - nothing wrong with this, it is the American way, and does lead to real improvements "down stream", just maybe unnecessary. In my opinion..

As for line getting buried deep on a spool, it is preferable, when snagged, to use a wooden dowel to spiral the line around(not overlapping the line on itself to prevent cutting into the line ) than trying to pull free with the reel. With braid it should not be necessary when setting the hook to apply such force as to bury the line in the spool, braid does not require the force which may be more desirable to be applied when using stretchable mono. In my opinion.

Bill
Old 06-19-2019, 12:01 PM
Wallhanger

I go through about 5 300yd spools a year. On 2 setups. 3000-5000 size spinning reels.

Lasts about 3 days of casting in saltwater, flip it for 3 more days. This is hard casting, little or no trolling, rocks, oysters, reefs, couple thousand casts a day using a flouro leader.

Lasts probably 5 days in freshwater, but I usually use fireline for freshwater.