Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Sump pump install - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 06-19-2019, 05:35 AM
Charter Member

Default Sump pump install

I'm trustee for a Living trust. The trust still owns a rental (until the current tenant passes away). It's a very nice little house, but in a wet season the four foot deep crawl space can get a foot of water in it. The original (Trust) owner never looked in the crawl to notice the water. Current tenant has two dehumidifiers going all year around and has to empty them twice daily. That is a lot of humidity year around.

I priced having a sump pump installed in the crawl with just a ten foot 1.5" discharge pipe to the outside into a buried small french drain. (Includes a relief port to allow for freezing)

Quote was $3300 not including the electrical. That strikes me as on the high side. Any experience in something like this? In reality I'd like to not do anything, but for the long term well being of the home it needs to be addressed. The house is thirty years old and been like this from day one.

Pooch

"Human beings seldom think for themselves... For the most part, members of our species simply repeat what they are told and become upset if they are exposed to any different view. The characteristic human trait is not awareness but conformity... We are stubborn, self-destructive conformists. Any other view of our species is just a self-congratulatory delusion."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2019, 06:05 AM
Charter Member

Any chance you can gravity drain the crawlspace? When I purchased my present home with a basement, it had a crock and sump pump. Seller told me that it ran often in the spring, and if power was lost, the basement would start to flood. First time it happened I knew I couldn't live with that. Used a transit, took a couple shots and found I could run a pipe under the footing inside the basement and gravity drain it. Pumps just complicate drainage.
Old 06-19-2019, 06:44 AM
Minnow

My first home was built in 1960. It got water in it year round even in the dead of winter due to the underground springs. I didn't want to spend a fortune to put in a drain tile system so I installed a beaver dam system in the basement. http://waterproof.com/

I bought enough to do the entire basement and I installed a sump basin and pump. Back in the day it cost me about $800 total for everything and took about 2 weeks to install. The hardest part was installing the sump I had to rent a jack hammer because as I was digging out the hole I hit some boulders that would not let the sump basin drop down far enough. So I had to chisel them away enough for the basin to sit flush to the basement floor.

If you do it your self when you sink the sump basin into the ground drill a ton of 3/4" holes in the sides and bottom and wrap the basin in landscaping fabric. This way if you have water under the slab it will go into the basin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2019, 08:53 AM
Wallhanger

as one who did a ton of work in virginia on homes with lots of crawl spaces, i'm going to assume that price is a "i don't want to do this" price. basically priced it out to make it worth his while.
Old 06-19-2019, 09:19 AM
Wallhanger

Pooch, about 5 years ago I paid $2950 for a 4" pipe to be buried from the back corner of my house to the street for my sump pump (previously it was discharged on the ground)......so about 60' and they had to go under the sidewalk. They also connected my 2 gutter down spouts to it and they also added 2 clean outs where the downspouts connected to this pipe.

It's only buried about 18" at the VERY Most.........works GREAT and I wish I had done it years earlier.
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Old 06-19-2019, 10:24 AM
Wallhanger

BTW the company first quoted me $3400 but I said I wasn’t planning on spending that much. I went back in the house and he went into his truck to call his boss. About 10 minutes later he lowered the price to $2950.
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Old 06-19-2019, 06:48 PM
Wallhanger

you could do it yourself in a few hours for probably $300
Old 06-19-2019, 07:40 PM
Charter Member

Friend of mine has a plumbing business and will do it for around $1500 on a "in between jobs" day next week or two to keep his guys busy. About an all day job for two guys. Dig hole for sump in the crawl, trench it about one hundred foot to the road ditch and pull wires to it plus materials.

That is about what I thought sounded right when the tenant told me the crawl had foot of water in it.

Thanks for the responses.

Pooch

"Human beings seldom think for themselves... For the most part, members of our species simply repeat what they are told and become upset if they are exposed to any different view. The characteristic human trait is not awareness but conformity... We are stubborn, self-destructive conformists. Any other view of our species is just a self-congratulatory delusion."
Old 06-20-2019, 08:09 AM
Wallhanger

Covering the entire crawl space with a sheet of plastic will decrease the water vapor in the air immensely.
Old 06-20-2019, 09:22 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnboy View Post
Covering the entire crawl space with a sheet of plastic will decrease the water vapor in the air immensely.
Until the water rises above the sheet of plastic...