Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Corrision help? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Walleye Boats and Motors

Old 03-12-2004, 06:34 AM
Minnow

Default Corrision help?

I have a 2001 1800 fisherman. I just discovered paint bubbling and white corrision areas that have ate into the aluminum inside the transom well. One spot was in the middle and had eaten almost clear through the aluminum. It was pitted and spiderwebed. The other spots are in the corners, on the side screws and around one rivet. No spills, been in salt water once.
I have 3 questions. Could this be electrolysis? and if so does anybody know if lund grounds the huals? I haven't gone through the ohm check yet on the battery leads yet. But I suspect that the boat is grounded. What else could be causing this? I've checked all over the haul and can't see any other areas that are effected. But will be checking more offten.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2004, 09:04 AM
Charter Member

Default RE: Corrision help?

Is there standing water in the compartment.
Beaconhill
Old 03-12-2004, 09:11 AM
Minnow

It's the splash well, and no standing water except when in use.
It's kept under cover and heated through the winter.
I also noticed that my main battery has been drawn down to zero this winter. This could be an indicator of electrical problems. Also I was thinking the first place to look is the bilge pump.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2004, 10:25 AM
Charter Member

This was discussed in depth a couple of years ago on here. Try a search for "galvanic corrosion", if I remember correctly, a member by the handle "JohnF" had a lot of information on it. Try a private message to him.

Regards,

Scott Lee

Since there is six times as much water as dry land on earth, any fool
can plainly see the good Lord meant for man to fish six times as much as he works.
Old 03-12-2004, 12:08 PM
Charter Member

I have an aluminum boat that is in the water all year. Since it is I have to watch out for galvanic corrosion. If you splash well holds water in the areas with the corrosion then it is most likely that you have a short in your boat and the boat is acting like an anode and the other metals in the splash well like any thing that is stainless is being basically plated with your hull. With the battery for power it doesn't take long for this to happen. If this took many years to happen and was in an area that held constant water the stainless and the aluminum would create a battery and the aluminum would very slowly decay. The solution to the second instance would to be to put in a magnesium anode. But I think you have faulty wiring somewhere.
Thomas
Old 03-12-2004, 12:18 PM
Minnow

How do I go about repairing the spots? In most spots that I can get at I can sand to bare metal then prim and repaint. But a couple of other spots I had to grind away quite a bit of material to get rid of the corrision. Is there some kind of metal expoxy patch to fill in these spots or should I contact Lund and get there advice and have it fix by a pro to have the whole splash well replaced?
I'm going to go over the wiring with a meter and see if I can find a fault. Like I said since my battery has been going dead I'm sure I have some kind of current pull.
I'm really concerned about my hull now. I'll be going over it with a fine tooth comb. I can't believe this has happened. I only have 40 hours on the boat in 2 seasons. It's practically brand new....
Old 03-12-2004, 12:35 PM
Minnow

Also to put on the Anode where is the best spot to put it and what to attach it with. I already have the one on the motor but it's hardly even eaten.
Old 03-12-2004, 12:56 PM
Keeper

Had a similar problem last summer. Found out that the lodge I was staying at had a floating ground on thier power on the docks. I would plug in my 3 bank charger at the end of the day, come out the next morning and had white crust on every rivet. The owner said that he has had problems with stuff like that. He hooked a set of jumper cables to the bow eye and the other end to a steel post on the dock. End of problem. Electric can do some strange things.
Old 03-12-2004, 01:20 PM
Charter Member

Try Marine Tex to patch. Great stuff.
Old 03-12-2004, 01:39 PM
Charter Member

You would put the anode in the water and make sure you have a good connection from the anode to the hull. This would let the anode be sacrificed first and when you pulled the boat out you could tell when it needed replacement. I would think the best place for it would be some where on the transom below the water line when at rest this would not effect anything when running. Like Erie addict said if there is a problem in the shore power (aka 110volt at dock) bad ground the boat has now become the anode to the dock that is not good. If you plan on using a power receptacle while your boat is in the water you should pick up a shore power receptacle tester this thing will tell you if the outlet is wired correctly and would save your boat from electrical and corrosion issues.

Thomas
Beaconhill