Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Okuma Classic Pro GLT Rod Questions - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 06-16-2019, 10:11 PM
Minnow

Default Okuma Classic Pro GLT Rod Questions

New to trolling setups for walleyes and looking for advice for inland lake use.
I'm looking at the Okuma Classic Pro GLT 7'6" (lake trolling) and 7'10"(planer board/precision trolling) combo on FishUSA. Are those models too stiff for planer board use for walleyes on inland lakes? Should I go with something lighter (and still staying on budget) like the Daiwa wilderness rods? Thanks for the advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2019, 10:43 PM
Wallhanger

I have the 7'6 m lake trolling. Its a stiff rod, stiffer than I personally like but it works. An 18" walleye barely bends the rod when fighting.

I also have the 8' med wilderness, its softer than the glt but the guides are pretty trash and its a lot thicker and less sensitive. Better action though.

I have a couple 9' bass pro strata maxx mediums that I like for boards. Not good for fishing by yourself (too long) but fine if you have a buddy. The extra length is nice to keep the line high.

My next ones will be the okuma dead eye classic, ML. I target eater size fish (14-20") and dont fish big water so i think mediums are too much for me.
Old 06-17-2019, 08:01 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by gehri1tm View Post
New to trolling setups for walleyes and looking for advice for inland lake use.
I'm looking at the Okuma Classic Pro GLT 7'6" (lake trolling) and 7'10"(planer board/precision trolling) combo on FishUSA. Are those models too stiff for planer board use for walleyes on inland lakes? Should I go with something lighter (and still staying on budget) like the Daiwa wilderness rods? Thanks for the advice.
I have found most Medium rods to be too stiff for walleye fishing, I would recommend a ML rod. I would look into Daiwa Wilderness or Shimano TDR in 8' ML. They will work well for planer boards and general trolling.

Alumacraft 175 Tourney Pro - 150 Merc, 8hp Tohatsu, Helix 9 SI/DI, 24v Terrova w/iPilot Link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2019, 08:05 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin23 View Post
I have the 7'6 m lake trolling. Its a stiff rod, stiffer than I personally like but it works. An 18" walleye barely bends the rod when fighting.

I also have the 8' med wilderness, its softer than the glt but the guides are pretty trash and its a lot thicker and less sensitive. Better action though.

I have a couple 9' bass pro strata maxx mediums that I like for boards. Not good for fishing by yourself (too long) but fine if you have a buddy. The extra length is nice to keep the line high.

My next ones will be the okuma dead eye classic, ML. I target eater size fish (14-20") and dont fish big water so i think mediums are too much for me.

Thanks Kevin23. I was looking at those dead eye classic rods too. Looks like there is a 7'6" ML slow action.
Old 06-17-2019, 12:07 PM
Wallhanger

I am thinking about grabbing a pair of those. The slow (regular) action should be great for cranks. Maybe a little weak for bottom bouncers or spinner rigs though. Not sure. I really would not suggest the medium glt, that is for sure. Not unless you are fishing boards for erie eyes or something where you are catching big fish. They are made for great lakes salmon trolling
Old 06-17-2019, 05:20 PM
Minnow

Thanks Kevin23 and Karas3434. I'm gonna look at the Shimano TRD 8' ML's and Okuma dead eye 7'6" ML's in person and see how they compare. I was able to finally get a handle on the medium Okuma GLT and it is really beefy.
Old 06-18-2019, 07:24 AM
Wallhanger

I have a pair of the Deadeye rods that I really like. The telescoping ones at 8'6" and collapse down to 7'6" I really like these especially the triangle foregrip.
Solix 12 G1
Old 06-18-2019, 07:47 AM
Minnow

Thanks for the info Diesel Pro

Tags
daiwa , okuma , rod , trolling