Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
It happened to me, transom rot! - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 06-23-2019, 06:10 AM
Minnow

Default It happened to me, transom rot!

I need some suggestions on what to do. I have a 2007 Lund Classic 1660 with a rotting transom. What should I do? Fix for $2000 to $3000 or find a replacement boat. I have a 60 HP Merc on it and has low hours and runs great and the rest of the gear is in good working order (could up date electronics). I don't want to spend a bunch of money. Any help would be great. Thx.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2019, 06:33 AM
Wallhanger

Can you find a comparable replacement for $3000? Unlikely. Would you sell the boat for less than $3000? If so, PM me.

Transom replacements aren't any fun but you can do it yourself for a lot less. Lund can send you a new composite, you can get one somewhere else or pour in new material.
Old 06-23-2019, 06:52 AM
Wallhanger

Location: Land of 10,000 lakes, even more taxes and the state where the police are handcuffed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobber View Post
I need some suggestions on what to do. I have a 2007 Lund Classic 1660 with a rotting transom. What should I do? Fix for $2000 to $3000 or find a replacement boat. I have a 60 HP Merc on it and has low hours and runs great and the rest of the gear is in good working order (could up date electronics). I don't want to spend a bunch of money. Any help would be great. Thx.

Fix it.
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2019, 07:34 AM
Wallhanger

There is a huge restoration forum, Lot's of picture in lot's of threads,..

Many people have documented their journey through it, It will make replacing yours easy,...

You can probably do it yourself for under $500,...
Old 06-23-2019, 08:23 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobber View Post

Are you the original owner? According to other threads on this site, 2007 became the first year that Lund put a lifetime warranty on the transom wood.
Contact Lund, see what they will do.

If not original owner, if you like the boat and the rest of it is in tip top shape, sounds like would be a good investment to get it fixed. Use composite material, and you will have a good boat that will last a long time, and have a good resale. Your alternatives in finding a different boat will likely cost you more in the way of a "bunch of money " and likely will require some sort of work and expense anyway,unless brand new,which in that case will require even way MORE bunches of money !

-
Old 06-23-2019, 09:24 AM
Wallhanger

Agree with all of the answers above. I was joking about you selling the boat. It would be a total steal under 3k, bad transom and all.
Old 06-23-2019, 10:23 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzoofisher View Post
Agree with all of the answers above. I was joking about you selling the boat. It would be a total steal under 3k, bad transom and all.
I'll buy it for $3000.

IF, you have a place to do the transom repairs, you have the ambition to tackle the job, have the knowledge and procedures and tools to do the replacement, I would do the repairs yourself. Do the research, set your timeline and budget, get all the needed materials and have at it. Should maybe cost you $500 to $1000 depending on what else you discover hiding in the weeds.
Old 06-23-2019, 01:25 PM
Wallhanger

Sell it and get a Polar Kraft.
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Old 06-23-2019, 06:30 PM
Wallhanger

Default transom

private message sent
Old 06-23-2019, 07:14 PM
Wallhanger

Like Mark G. says. 2007 Lunds came with a lifetime warranty on the transom to original owner.