Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Help me choose new electronics-Helix for my Pro V. - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 08-25-2021, 03:47 PM
Minnow

Default Help me choose new electronics-Helix for my Pro V.

Just picked up a used 1900 Pro V LE. I want to rig it with a Helix at the console, and a Helix at the bow. I had 2 998 HD's with down and side imaging on my former boat, just sold.

This boat came with I-Pilot 80 lb. Terrova. Unfortunately, it's $900 more to add I-pilot Link. It would have only been $540 more bought as a unit, so I'm kind of stuck with the I-Pilot only for now.

I want to have MEGA down and side imaging at the console. I'm used to having it at the bow, as I took apart my old Terrova and ran the cable down the shaft so it wouldn't wrap up, and had the side imaging HD transducer attached to the bottom of the Terrova.

Is that a bad idea on the new Terrova's with the new Helix transducers?

What's a great way to rig my Pro V with 2 units, bow and console, without being redundant. I'm looking at Helix 10's, and know they are able to be connected to share.

What I don't know, is am I going to drive myself nuts trying to fish off the bow and control the boat from the bow if the only MEGA side imaging transducer is at the transom?

Help me spend my money wisely, please. Like most of you, I work very hard for it, and I bought an older boat so I would have money left over to rig it with good electronics. Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2021, 03:03 PM
Wallhanger

You can convert to I pilot link for a lot less than $900.

Buy the control head from Minn Kota and then buy the remote from eBay or Amazon. You probably already have a heading sensor. If you have a Helix at the bow you won’t need an extension cable. You can probably change to link for $350-$400.
Old 09-07-2021, 12:19 PM
Wallhanger

Questions:
1. Do you troll often and for long (over 6 hours) periods?
2. Is the Terrova a Bluetooth model?

If you spend a fair amount of time trolling...sell the 80# and put your money in a 36 volt unit. 33% longer run time is huge plus way easier on wiring-breakers-batteries. Make sure you get the Bluetooth TM model if you buy used. The spot lock is WAYYYYY better. Honestly the main reason for me to have Link is ability to deploy-stow-jog-turn on-off from the console locator but that's with an Ulterra. I rarely use the contour following because it's too reactive to aggressive changes to the contour.
Make sure you are getting at least Gen3 Mega+ for your console unit. Up front...you could get a DI unit if your TM has the MDI-SI tansducer. I've yet to see anyone actually use SI on the TM to any effectiveness.
3 Helix 10s
Ulterra 112 w/Link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2021, 10:27 PM
Minnow

I ordered everything before these responses were posted.

2 Helix 10's, Gen4, Mega SI for both. I fish at the bow, and there's no way I was going to only have 2D sonar, and I didn't want to be looking at the transom side imaging transducer 20 feet behind where I'm fishing. I purchased a the Precision Sonar mount for the MEGA SI transducer to mount to the bottom of the Terrova. Works great. Fished all day yesterday with it with zero issues.

I purchased the I Pilot Link upgrade direct from Minn Kota. Works perfect. I will be selling my I Pilot head and remote, listing it this weekend. I am hoping to recoup some of that cost by selling the basically brand new IPilot head and remote.

I bought a TransTech (?) 6" riser mount for the bow, and a Ram mount for the console, which allows me to angle the Helix 10 in such a way as to fit inside the windshield (ordered, waiting for UPD plastics to make and ship it). I had to make a 1" riser out of a nice piece of walnut I had laying around the shop (I'm a furniture and cabinet maker) to raise the RAM mount up high enough to clear the step up in the console of my Pro V. Finished it with 4 coats of teak oil, and I like the contrasting color of the walnut wood.

I'll post some pictures if anyone cares to see how I mounted them.
Old 09-15-2021, 10:05 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by walleyefan9 View Post
I ordered everything before these responses were posted.

2 Helix 10's, Gen4, Mega SI for both. I fish at the bow, and there's no way I was going to only have 2D sonar, and I didn't want to be looking at the transom side imaging transducer 20 feet behind where I'm fishing. I purchased a the Precision Sonar mount for the MEGA SI transducer to mount to the bottom of the Terrova. Works great. Fished all day yesterday with it with zero issues.

I purchased the I Pilot Link upgrade direct from Minn Kota. Works perfect. I will be selling my I Pilot head and remote, listing it this weekend. I am hoping to recoup some of that cost by selling the basically brand new IPilot head and remote.

I bought a TransTech (?) 6" riser mount for the bow, and a Ram mount for the console, which allows me to angle the Helix 10 in such a way as to fit inside the windshield (ordered, waiting for UPD plastics to make and ship it). I had to make a 1" riser out of a nice piece of walnut I had laying around the shop (I'm a furniture and cabinet maker) to raise the RAM mount up high enough to clear the step up in the console of my Pro V. Finished it with 4 coats of teak oil, and I like the contrasting color of the walnut wood.

I'll post some pictures if anyone cares to see how I mounted them.

I think you made the right choice. While seeing side imaging at the transom was probably not a terrible thing, it would have bugged you every time you were at the bow and sucked away at your enjoyment.

I would love to see pictures of your set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-15-2021, 04:56 PM
Wallhanger

Default tranducers

Really wish your would look at the transducer.....my two cents