Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Perko shut off battery switch - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 09-18-2021, 07:23 PM
Slot Fish

Default Perko shut off battery switch

Hi i was wondering if I decide to buy a new boat should I have them add one of them perko battery selector switches also how many batteries should I go with I know the bow trolling motor I’d be getting two but for the stern should I get one for my electronics/vhf radio. And then obviously it comes with a starting battery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2021, 08:52 PM
Charter Member

Yes, go with a battery selector switch. Use two batteries. Use one to start and your electronic and the other as starting back up. And a 3rd for your trolling motor.
Old 09-18-2021, 09:36 PM
Slot Fish

I obviously know I want a 24 v system for trolling motor and it comes with a starting battery automatically and don’t I want a extra battery for electronics plus a shut off switch. And I’m sure I’d need two battery chargers .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2021, 05:02 AM
Wallhanger

It really depends on the amount of draw you will have with the livewell and electronics and how you use your boat. Big time trollers with a kicker may need 2 batteries for the motors and electronics. How much you run the big motor during a day out really determines how much battery you need. If the kicker has a decent alternator also will make a difference. There is also a big difference in the different sizes of batteries. No one option fits all.
Have a great day.
Jim
Old 09-19-2021, 05:08 AM
Wallhanger

with the selector, you can switch to the house battery while fishing then if the motor won't start just switch to the starting battery and start it with. then you can switch to both to charge both batteries. but I have read you can add a battery isolator on your starting battery to keep from overcharging the starting battery while the house battery charges.
Old 09-19-2021, 08:10 AM
Wallhanger

I would not install a perko switch but recommend a combiner. Manual switches create too many opportunities to make a mistake. Combiners avoid mistakes and do a better job by assuring maximum charge to the cranking battery by the alternator, and redirecting surplus charge to your house batteries.
Old 09-19-2021, 08:33 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DW View Post
I would not install a perko switch but recommend a combiner. Manual switches create too many opportunities to make a mistake. Combiners avoid mistakes and do a better job by assuring maximum charge to the cranking battery by the alternator, and redirecting surplus charge to your house batteries.
one of these would probably give your batteries a much longer life.
Old 09-19-2021, 08:58 AM
Charter Member

Yes to all of the posts in support of a switch on the battery or batteries:

But, the contra argument is that a switch is one more connection in your power system for your boat.

In general with an appropriately sized power supply in the form of a battery or batteries and with appropriate on boat chargers, there is generally no need for a switch.

If after using your boat for a while for your particular situation you encounter a time when a switch would have made a difference, then consider the installation of such a switch or switches.

So, it is up to you as the consumer - whether the installation of a single or multiple switches make sense to you as the user of the water craft.

Simply put - a switch inserts three additional points of failure into your power system. A minimum of two connections, plus one set of switch contacts.

If you find a switch necessary, by all means install one or more if you absolutely find the need. But leave them out of the equation if you do not have the need.

--------------------------------------
Also, perhaps the largest part of making this decision is understanding and knowing how much power you will consume from your battery, or batteries with a day on the water.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Note:
It may be to your advantage to install the largest capacity batteries available that can fit into your boat - to help mitigate the occurrence of run down batteries from a long period of time on the water. Some years ago, I switched all of the batteries in my boat to group 31 deep cycle batteries, - (including the battery for the motor) and I have not looked back.

With toady's heavy use of electronics, do not let anyone talk you into putting anything smaller than a group 31 battery into the boat for use as the starting battery for your motor. If you have really deep pockets, you can go spend $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ for lithium batteries and lithium battery chargers and extend your power for time on the water.

Be safe
Old 09-19-2021, 10:51 AM
Slot Fish

So really I’d just need two 2 bank chargers for 3 or 4 batteries
Old 09-19-2021, 01:44 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleye2487! View Post
Hi i was wondering if I decide to buy a new boat should I have them add one of them perko battery selector switches also how many batteries should I go with I know the bow trolling motor I’d be getting two but for the stern should I get one for my electronics/vhf radio. And then obviously it comes with a starting battery.

I pretty much agree with what's been posted, but you're asking too large of an open ended question sans details.

I have a 20 footer, 4 sonars, 2 31 series AGMs & 3 31 series flooded trolling motor batteries, 2 motors & 3 battery switches.

A family member has a 16 footer, 24v trolling motor & 2 7" sonars & always used a single cranking battery without issues for years.

Boat size, electronics being looked at, USCG rated load capacity, intended battery sizes & composition are needed before anyone could really give suggestions.

It's similar to me saying "I have a car-- what size boat should I buy?" Just way too vague.

(sorry)

Happy Fishing!