Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Best Overall Big Game Rifle/Cartridge In Your Opinion? - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Hunting Central > Archery, Blackpowder, Rifles, Pistols, Shotguns...and whatever else you have.

Old 12-28-2015, 08:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigstop View Post
I'm a gun nut and agree that quality bullets are important, especially if used in a smaller round like the 243. And while I use Nosler or Hornady premium bullets in all my hunting rounds when I reload there is absolutely nothing wrong with the good old 150-180 grain Remington Core Lock or Winchester PSP. I've shot several deer with a 100gr Partitions in the 243 but if push came to shuff I would take a 180gr Core Lock over any 243 bullet out there.
The bullets of today are better designed than the ones we used 50 years ago, both in rifles and handguns.

Bottom line is a similar wound channel can be had by a round with lower energy (resulting in less recoil and fewer sore shoulders.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2015, 09:40 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by VernH View Post
The bullets of today are better designed than the ones we used 50 years ago, both in rifles and handguns.

Bottom line is a similar wound channel can be had by a round with lower energy (resulting in less recoil and fewer sore shoulders.)
Vern, while I agree with you on this the OP ask for the best overall big game rifle for any animal in North America. And without a doubt a .243 is not it no matter what bullet you feed it.
Old 12-28-2015, 11:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarhead View Post
Vern, while I agree with you on this the OP ask for the best overall big game rifle for any animal in North America. And without a doubt a .243 is not it no matter what bullet you feed it.
Please re-read my post. I didn't say that a .243 is the best.

And my point was that some of the smaller calibers (30-06, 270, etc) will work for larger animals than calibers commonly thought before.

A .300 or .338 Win Mag isn't always what is needed anymore.

I would guess that there has been more attention paid to bullet design in the slightly smaller calibers like .270 and 30-06, etc. because there are more of them out there.

Best overall, in my opinion considers both the caliber and the bullet/round.

Last edited by VernH; 12-28-2015 at 11:58 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2015, 06:16 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by VernH View Post
Please re-read my post. I didn't say that a .243 is the best.

And my point was that some of the smaller calibers (30-06, 270, etc) will work for larger animals than calibers commonly thought before.

A .300 or .338 Win Mag isn't always what is needed anymore.

I would guess that there has been more attention paid to bullet design in the slightly smaller calibers like .270 and 30-06, etc. because there are more of them out there.

Best overall, in my opinion considers both the caliber and the bullet/round.
Vern, while I agree with you on this the OP ask for the best overall big game rifle for any animal in North America. And without a doubt a .270 or 30/06 is not it no matter what bullet you feed it.
When you narrow them all down the .300 mag is more than likely the right pick.
Old 12-28-2015, 07:17 PM
Minnow

My great great grandpa used to be a guide in Alaska. His rifle of choice was a Savage 99 in .250-3000. Given better bullets, powder, optics and rifles that are readily available today I don't see any reason that a .300 Mag is necessary. If Bell could kill elephants with a 7x57 then today's 7s would be more than adequate.
Old 12-28-2015, 07:36 PM
Wallhanger

Every gun mentioned, except maybe the 22, would be adequate for killing anything in North America, given the distance and shooter were both decent. Now if your talking charging animals such a moose or brown bear give me the biggest bore available, but if talking a rifle that will be used every winter in the lower 48, the 243 is an adequate round and most enjoyable to shoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-28-2015, 08:15 PM
Wallhanger

Some folks are getting off topic. The question. Was not how good today's bullets are, which they are, or not what is the minimum required to do the job in ideal conditions. Bringing that stuff in is true but not pertinent in the conversation.
Don't forget, the bigger caliber/cartridge have just as much improvement. As I said, I am the proud owner of two 243's that kill like lightening on whitetails but sure as heck wouldn't be my first choice on big coastal black bears, grizzley, or brown bears.
Live and die on this day......
Old 12-28-2015, 08:32 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoeh475 View Post
My great great grandpa used to be a guide in Alaska. His rifle of choice was a Savage 99 in .250-3000. Given better bullets, powder, optics and rifles that are readily available today I don't see any reason that a .300 Mag is necessary. If Bell could kill elephants with a 7x57 then today's 7s would be more than adequate.

When was he a guide in Alaska? Bet he had some stories.
Old 12-28-2015, 09:25 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportdog View Post
As I said, I am the proud owner of two 243's that kill like lightening on whitetails but sure as heck wouldn't be my first choice on big coastal black bears, grizzley, or brown bears.
Not to mention polar bear, moose , and the occasional big foot one might come across up by Paulies place.
Old 12-28-2015, 09:29 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoeh475 View Post
Your great grandfather might have been a great hunter and a great guide but it sounds like he was caught up in the 3000fps advertising of the 250/3000 when it came out. Problem is that the Savage 99's didn't have the correct rifling twist to stabilize anything over about 85grains which could hardly be considered much for penetration.

Bell did shoot a ton of elephants with his 7X57 but he was using FMJ bullets and brain shooting them from 25yds and under. He also never talked about the ones that didn't drop right away and he hunted in an era of unlimited animals to shoot.

Will a 250/3000 or 7x57 work on deer? Sure will and with the right bullets it will work pretty darn good although I wouldn't want to be using the 250/3000 if it wasn't a nice broadside shot and it would require penetrating through the hind quarter to get to the vitals. 300's may not be necessary for a farm country whitetail but some extra power sure would be nice when going after elk or moose or when the distance is stretched out some. Also when shot angles aren't perfect having something that has enough power to blow through the whole body is nice. For the moose and the big bears the 300's will work but I would prefer a 338 or 375. Yes a little 243 would kill the biggest moose or brown bear that ever lived with the right shot but if you just dropped $20k on a hunt for an animal that could kill you are you really going to go with a 243? I know I wouldn't. And I've killed a couple deer with the 243 and one with a 250/3000.