Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Semi-auto shot guns (gas or inertia) - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Hunting Central > Archery, Blackpowder, Rifles, Pistols, Shotguns...and whatever else you have.

Old 10-03-2020, 02:35 PM
Wallhanger

Default Semi-auto shot guns (gas or inertia)

Hi guys, purchasing a new shot gun only for ducks and geese, last year my POS remington pump failed while I was duck hunting almost 1000 miles from home so this year I what a semi-auto. Going to buy one in a couple of weeks but im stuck between an inertia or gas semi.
Ive read articles about both but have no experience with either. I want to keep it under $1000 bucks as I only go duck hunting once a year (second time ever this year) and so far both times would have been in mid novemeber so the weather can get very cold and things can get muddy. I thought that the inertia would be best for cold weather compaired to gas but have read that inertia recoil can still fail in cold weather.
Any info would be appreciated as I will be buying in a couple of weeks.
Thanks.

Fisherman 1792
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2020, 07:43 PM
Wallhanger

Default Semi-auto shot guns (gas or inertia)

Iím a big fan of Stoeger m3500 for your price range. It is an inertia driven gun. Only problem Iíve heard or witnessed with them is the phantom click. This happens when chambering the first round and not getting the action closed all of the way. It seems to happen once to everyone then you learn to make sure itís ready from there on out. Based some what on the Benelli super black eagle, itís parent companies top goose gun.

Can I ask what model Remington pump you had that failed and what happened?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-04-2020, 04:23 AM
Wallhanger

Thanks Wally, Ive read about the dreaded phantom click and guys are saying like you said the action not being closed all the way.
The remington I believe was an 870 pump, it was one of dads guns and I dont think he used it very much. It just quite firing no matter what make of shot I used. Cleaned it a few times (not much fun ripping a gun apart as your in a blind) it would leave a dimple on the primer, just never knew when it would fire. I thought pumps were suppose to be bullet proof so now im in the market for something else but not remington.

Fisherman 1792
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2020, 10:57 AM
Keeper

Take a look at the Franchi, Affinit Select. It's. a step up from Stoger also a subsidiary of Benelli and just under $1,000.00 and much better quality. There is a deal where you pull bolt back just a hair when loading and it becomes a single shot, not sure why you would want that feature.

Wayne
Old 10-04-2020, 02:35 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakerides View Post
Take a look at the Franchi, Affinit Select. It's. a step up from Stoger also a subsidiary of Benelli and just under $1,000.00 and much better quality. There is a deal where you pull bolt back just a hair when loading and it becomes a single shot, not sure why you would want that feature.

Wayne
That Franchi Affinit is a nice gun but so is the Marocchi super start super magnum. Unfortunatlly the Franchi can only take up to 3 inch where the marocchi is a magnum and can shoot 3 1/2 inch and is a few hundred cheaper.
Both have 5 star rating on cabelas.

Fisherman 1792
Old 10-04-2020, 02:59 PM
Keeper

I have a browning gold and it Is really nice. Shoots 3 1/2. Is probably 15years old. When I got it was close to the Beneli price wise. I liked the browning better. Not Sure what the new stuff is like.
Old 10-04-2020, 08:00 PM
Wallhanger

For what it's worth, I had an 870. Thought I'd upgrade so I bought a semi-auto. Can't remember the make but it was an exact rip-off replica of a Belgium Browning. That darn thing would jam at least once every hunting trip.

Sold it on a gun auction and been using the 870 ever since.
Old 10-04-2020, 08:15 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97roughneck View Post
For what it's worth, I had an 870. Thought I'd upgrade so I bought a semi-auto. Can't remember the make but it was an exact rip-off replica of a Belgium Browning. That darn thing would jam at least once every hunting trip.

Sold it on a gun auction and been using the 870 ever since.
My real browning has never jammed once, ever.
Old 10-05-2020, 08:12 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornholio View Post
My real browning has never jammed once, ever.
I know, that's why I made sure everyone knew it was a clone. This was a long time ago and was part of my education about how paying more for quality items is cheaper in the long run.
Old 10-05-2020, 09:42 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97roughneck View Post
I know, that's why I made sure everyone knew it was a clone. This was a long time ago and was part of my education about how paying more for quality items is cheaper in the long run.
You're right. I also learned to just buy what I really wanted and not try saving money all the time. I always regretted not getting what I wanted in the first place and in the end cost more. So now I just buy what I want then don't have to second guess anything. I'm still cheap though, lol.