Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
My New? Rifle - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Hunting Central > Archery, Blackpowder, Rifles, Pistols, Shotguns...and whatever else you have.

Old 06-29-2021, 11:09 PM
Wallhanger

Default My New? Rifle

After purchasing this Remington M700 LA about 15 years ago, give or take a few years, for $125. I bought this Stainless Steel new take off barrel around 10 years ago for $30, and had this factory Tupperware stock off another M700, I took it all to a gunsmith to have it assembled and headspaced. I never asked the cost, figuring maybe $100-$150 labor.
Well $300 later I got it back.
Oh well, I wanted to get it together while I can still hit the range, having given up hunting three years ago. I used my Cabelas Club points and purchased this lead sled to hopefully reduce the recoil on these old shoulders.
Topped it off with an old Nikon Buckmaster Scope I had collecting dust. Now the big question, will it shoot??? Or the bigger question, will I be the reason it wonít shoot!!! LOL!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CA3A5183-D1E7-416D-88E2-2A46BFA5D0A8.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	327534  
Live and die on this day......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2021, 05:43 AM
Wallhanger

Nice looking piece. Of course it will shoot,,, unless you un-cork that Grand Marnier before you head to the range.
Happy shooting.
Old 06-30-2021, 07:58 AM
Wallhanger

Good luck with the new rifle, hopefully it's a tack driver!

I know the feeling, just recently picked up a 660 Remington in 6.5 Remington Magnum, why I don't know, but I like those guns! If things go as planned, I may never need a gun anymore to get a Pa buck, been having success with a crossbow ever since they legalized them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2021, 12:59 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzley View Post
Good luck with the new rifle, hopefully it's a tack driver!

I know the feeling, just recently picked up a 660 Remington in 6.5 Remington Magnum, why I don't know, but I like those guns! If things go as planned, I may never need a gun anymore to get a Pa buck, been having success with a crossbow ever since they legalized them.
Got a pic of that 660? Does it have a ventilated rib or that laminate wood stock? Here is a pic of my Mohawk 600 308 wearing a Bishop Mannlicher stock. This was my now deceased brothers rifle and he gave it to me when his health started failing. He only paid $98.00 at Walmart or K-Mart and then added the Bishop stock, unfinished. I put new scope mounts on it but kept the original Tasco scope. Itís one of the earlier Japanese made ones and the clarity is actually very good. I canít imagine the recoil on that 6.5 Mag!!! Oh wait, yes I can. Iíve got a Model 7 SS in 300SAUMÖÖÖ
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FF14190D-75D2-4250-BBBC-DCD5504009CB.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	327548  
Old 06-30-2021, 01:33 PM
Wallhanger

My M7 300SAUM 22 inch tube with one piece DNZ mounts and a 2-7 Leopold VX-II 2-7. I used to have a M700 24 inch tube in this caliber but I let my grandson talk me into giving it to him. Lol!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0ED79473-764E-4A70-B63F-CE9FAD7BED78.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	327550  
Old 06-30-2021, 03:16 PM
Wallhanger

The 660 does not have the vent rib, neither does the 600 Mohawk, the 600 Remington does, three similar but different guns.
Actually the 6.5 Mag. isn't too bad as for recoil, the .350 is somewhat worse but not that bad either, there's a reason they put those butt pads on them!
Almost all the Magnums have the laminated stock, the really early 600 magnums may not have had it, they never made the 600 Mohawk in the Magnum calibers.
Here is the latest one I added to inventory, sure glad I have plenty of factory ammo for these guns and also the reloading components or I'd be crying!!!!
LOVE the looks of that Mannlicher stock on your Mohawk!!!!
I also put one of those old Tasco 3x9x40 TR rangefinder scopes on it that were made in Japan, love those scopes!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0233.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	527.8 KB
ID:	327564  

Last edited by grizzley; 06-30-2021 at 03:56 PM.
Old 06-30-2021, 04:56 PM
Wallhanger

IMHO Those are the most beautiful “standard” stocks to ever grace a rifle. Count your blessings……

Just FYI, and maybe you know, you can get aftermarket aluminum machined trigger guard/floorplates for these rifles. I forgot to mention I have one that I installed on my Mohawk.

Last edited by Sportdog; 06-30-2021 at 05:01 PM.
Old 06-30-2021, 07:04 PM
Wallhanger

I do have one on a .308 660 that was on when I bought it, all the other ones have the factory trigger guard/floorplates that are in good condition and not warped.