Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Tadpoles vs snap weights?? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 10-14-2019, 06:44 AM
Wallhanger

Default Tadpoles vs snap weights??

I have Tadpoles but have always used snap weights. Are Tadpoles a good choice when pulling Bandits?
My concern using Tadpoles with crankbaits is you would only have a short leader in order to net anything. Using snap weights I can take weights off while the fish is still 20,30, 50 ?? feet back.

Or is a Tadpole not a good choice with cranks?
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2019, 07:09 AM
Keeper

Tadpoles are not designed to have diving crank baits pulled behind them. They are designed to get non diving presentations to a determined depth. Like harnesses and trolling spoons. You will want to stick with snap weights for additional depth when pulling Bandits.
Ulterra Linked with
Helix 12 and 10 Mega
Old 10-14-2019, 11:46 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by goosechaser View Post
Tadpoles are not designed to have diving crank baits pulled behind them. They are designed to get non diving presentations to a determined depth. Like harnesses and trolling spoons. You will want to stick with snap weights for additional depth when pulling Bandits.
That has been my thought but another post mentioned pulling cranks. What is the Tadpole good for then?
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2019, 02:26 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by clawman View Post
That has been my thought but another post mentioned pulling cranks. What is the Tadpole good for then?
Pulling harnesses and spoons, just like the previous poster said. You can pull shallow cranks or some small diving cranks, but they will throw the diver curve off a bit and then you're back to guessing and hoping like a snap or inline weight. Surely not a deep diver off Tadpoles though. With spoons and harnesses, they're one of the most accurate ways to put the bait at a desired depth. I use nothing but Tadpoles for those two kinds of baits now with 100% confidence that the bait is going to be where desired.
Old 10-14-2019, 02:51 PM
Keeper

We had a great pattern using #2 tadpoles and deep huskys last year in the fall. We use both snapweights on some rods and tadpoles on others depending on the day. We run cranks down 35-45 feet over 80-120fow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-14-2019, 02:56 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBigmacius View Post
We had a great pattern using #2 tadpoles and deep huskys last year in the fall. We use both snapweights on some rods and tadpoles on others depending on the day. We run cranks down 35-45 feet over 80-120fow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How did you determine that you were running at that depth? If you run a deep Husky off them, it totally changes the plane of the diving face of the Tadpole, if it doesn't just trip them. You can throw the dive curve chart for the Tadpole overboard because it's useless on a deep diver.
Old 10-14-2019, 03:52 PM
Wallhanger

Yeah tadpoles and deep cranks wouldn't be my choice, about all you know is they will be deeper, by how much is anyone guess. I do love to use them on harnesses though, work very well at around 1.5 mph for me. I like to run them off the corners of my boat on flatlines to compliment bandits off my boards.
Rhodan 72" 36v 120 lb. thrust trolling motor
Simrad nss evo2 12
BG Zeus2 12
Lowrance HDS 12 gen2
Lowrance point 1
Simrad is40
Sonarhub
LSS 1
2 Cannon tracks
2 Cannon electric downriggers
2 Highseas quad rod trees
6 Bert's ratcheting rod holders
Old 10-14-2019, 08:38 PM
Slot Fish

This is another case where the Troll Master app can help you out. You definitely can run weights with a crankbait...the current version of the app allows you to input a trolling weight and then select the lure of your choice (including a crankbait).

The short version of how this is works is that I have programmed into the app how much drag and how much sinking force the trolling weights exert...and I have similar data for crankbaits programmed in there as well. The app basically just adds them together (that's the quick version of the story!).

FYI - the snap weights have a little more drag than the trolling weights I have based my calculations on, so snap weights won't run quite as deep as inline weights.

The app works the same way with Dipsy Divers. You can "add" a Dipsy Diver to whatever rig you are specifying in the app just like you can add a weight to it.

I do not currently have tadpoles in the app, but will likely add them in the future.

As always...please let me know with any questions.

Thanks,
Trevor
Old 10-14-2019, 09:43 PM
Wallhanger

Default Precision Trolling Data

I have been using PTD for years and have a lot of confidence in it. I don't see how anything could be more accurate than a diver in the water watching the lure being tested going past a marker.
Old 10-14-2019, 09:49 PM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by clawman View Post
I have been using PTD for years and have a lot of confidence in it. I don't see how anything could be more accurate than a diver in the water watching the lure being tested going past a marker.

How did they have the rod mounted? Was it in a rod holder 6 feet above the water or were they holding the rod tip at the waterline? This can make a big difference in lure depth.

Was the diver below the crankbait? Above it? How far was the crankbait from the marker?

For what it's worth, I use a FishHawk TD to validate calculations. I'd argue the FishHawk is just as accurate as a diver, at a much lower cost.

My point is that nothing is *perfect*. My app allows you to do things that the other app can't do. Not to mention I'm less than 10% of their price for a full, lifetime license. .There will come a day when I have hundreds of crankbaits in my app and the price will reflect that. If you buy now - at less than 10% of the cost of their app, you get all of these future upgrades for free.