Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
#4 hook on a 1/4 oz. Jig? - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 06-06-2017, 02:23 PM
Wallhanger

Absolutely Bill that the ideal thing would be to have a mold to pour my own. Really that's how this thread got started.
But...

Problem is where do you get that type mold that will fit a #4/0 (now I understand the proper hook size) hook into a 1/4 standard ball jig? All the 1/4oz molds I see wont handle a hook that large.

AND...a mold that will have multiple 1/4 oz. molds not a variety size mold that would in essence only do a single 1/4 at a time?

If you have a source for that I would love to go that route. I really cant bieleve I am the only guy that wants a large hook on a 1/4 oz jig....they must be available somewhere??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2017, 05:49 PM
Charter Member

Crankb - Do-It Molds, which are sold by most fishing retailers, has molds featuring varying sizes on the same mold, but also makes a bunch which only have a limited no. of sizes to a mold, maybe 2 sizes, 3-5 of the same size. As to the hook size fit, it is a simple matter. I prefer using a a drill press and drill- to just enlarge the eye space a little to accommodate larger hook eyes. It doesn't take much to increase the diameter, the drill press prevents the drill bit from wandering around on the mold. The slot for the hook shank can be easily enlarged by using a 3 cornered file. As the molds are aluminum, modification is quick, and a snap! Good luck!

Bill
Old 06-06-2017, 06:55 PM
Keeper

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231656836091

Spend some time on eBay and search around as there quite few guys who sell with oversized hooks .

Like others have said pouring your own has it's benefits. I pour my own and have 40+ molds as have aa few guys I make small jigs with big hooks for. You can also get "odd ball" sized jigs. 3/32,3/16,5/16,7/16 to name a few. I've really like fishing the 3/16 and 5/16oz heads.

Unfortunately if you will only need 50-100 buying unpainted ones then grabbing a few jars of powder paint will be an easier route. If you go thru 100+ jigs a year then finding an cheap pot, molds, hooks may be ticket. If anything it can keep you occupied on the cold winter days.

Later
Joe
Old 06-06-2017, 07:43 PM
Wallhanger

I believe the shake-it round head mold will do 4/0. Pretty sure i poured some with 4/0 for a guy last year. The one that is 60/90deg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-09-2017, 05:51 AM
Wallhanger

Do-It DTR51438 will take 4/0. They are darter heads not ball, better for casting than vertical jigging. 3 1/4 molds and 2 3/8 molds.