Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
line twist - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 06-02-2020, 07:32 PM
Wallhanger

Location: Land of 10,000 lakes, even more taxes and the state where the police are handcuffed.
Default line twist

Kid across the street says if I get line twist on the spinning reel to move the handle to the other side and it will fix it.

Experts................
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2020, 07:54 PM
Wallhanger

lol that's funny.

One of my late, old time buddies from years ago used to remove his lure right before we'd head back to the launch, and let most of his line out the back, and then reel it back up (to remove the twist, if there was any). It was just a 14' boat with a 15 hp motor - so we weren't going mach 5 like everyone does nowadays lol!!
Old 06-02-2020, 08:56 PM
Wallhanger

Ask him what if when the line gets twisted you cast backwards and retrieve from the opposite direction. Would that work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2020, 10:04 PM
Charter Member

Derwood,
Any time you get line twist on a spinning reel, pull the reel off the rod and put on a different one if you have a spare.

If not, grab another rod and go back to fishing.

Then, when you get ready to move, let line off the reel with 0 tackle or terminal tackle on the end of the line, feed line off of the reel until all of the line is off the reel. Then, pull the line slowly through the water for an 1/8 of a mile or so, and then stop and reel the line back onto the reel while you keep the rod tip low. You will be good to go until the next time the line twists.

---

Also, on a new line fill on a spinning reel, it is not a bad idea to do the same thing when you take the reel out on the water for the first time. i.e. just troll out to your spot - with all of the line spooled off the reel with no terminal tackle and nothing else on the end of the line. Pull the line through the water for a good distance and then slowly reel it back in. By reeling in the wet line under a slow speed, the line will be spooled on correctly with the right amount of pressure and will give you a lot of fishing before it begins to twist again. If it is a spinning reel, the line will twist again. It is just the nature of a spinning reel. Even if you are using braid, the line will still twist. But, because the braid is braided and not spun as is the case with mono, the braid can tolerate hundreds of twist in the line without it causing an issue for the fisher person.

Good luck
Old 06-03-2020, 07:33 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Minnesota guy View Post
Kid across the street says if I get line twist on the spinning reel to move the handle to the other side and it will fix it.

Experts................
That's just dumb, everyone knows you hold it upside down with the reel on top........kids, can't trust 'em
Old 06-03-2020, 07:59 AM
Minnow

Just wind the twisted line onto another reel. You can reel it in upside down or right-side up. Works fantastic . Try it.
Old 06-03-2020, 08:32 AM
Wallhanger

I tried putting the handle on the other side trick and the line twisted in the opposite direction
Old 06-03-2020, 08:39 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
Derwood,
Any time you get line twist on a spinning reel, pull the reel off the rod and put on a different one if you have a spare.

If not, grab another rod and go back to fishing.

Then, when you get ready to move, let line off the reel with 0 tackle or terminal tackle on the end of the line, feed line off of the reel until all of the line is off the reel. Then, pull the line slowly through the water for an 1/8 of a mile or so, and then stop and reel the line back onto the reel while you keep the rod tip low. You will be good to go until the next time the line twists.

Good luck
REW - That's what I said in my post. You just rewrote it
Old 06-03-2020, 01:00 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Minnesota guy View Post

Experts................
is this kid involved with drugs?
Old 06-03-2020, 01:16 PM
Wallhanger

My friends third cousin says put a ACME line de-twister in place of the lure and cast a couple of times. Says it works every time..I've never seen one maybe they were sold at sport shows years ago

Last edited by fishin10; 06-03-2020 at 01:38 PM.