Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Any Ideas for Diverting Snow From Roof over Deck? - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 01-27-2020, 08:53 AM
Wallhanger

Well when I was young and in good shape, I took lots of snow off roofs in the winter for a side job. Those big Duluth snow scoops work great, no lifting, slide across the roof easily and dump where it is easier, on some very lightly pitched roofs, those toro sno pups worked great, do not know if they are made anymore. Remember anytime you are working on a roof, you are shortening the life of your shingles, also falling off, not good, I did once, on a rambler with deep snow around, so nothing happened to me, but remember I was a young guy. Unless you have leaking problems, I say leave the roof alone, or hire it done. Very hard work, correct on the job of moving it after it hits the grounmd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2020, 01:03 PM
Wallhanger

1) Extend your roof over your deck. One of the most awesome things you can do in the upper Midwest.

2) Is this an ice dam situation? If so get your attic insulation and roof ventilation looked at. These two things properly done may eliminate the need for snow removal all together.
Old 01-27-2020, 03:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Pederson View Post
this past weekend while taking a lap around the lake on a sled, i saw a guy up on his roof with what appeared to be a plastic shoot made out of plywood and pvc or a white tarp. moon shaped, he was putting shovel loads into the shoot and watching it shoot over the deck and onto a second tarp down a steep hill to the lake. I thought about stopping to take a picture, but thought that would be rude.
Now that's what I had in mind. Wish I could see a couple of pictures of it!
I did end up purchasing a new product from a Minnesota company called "MinnSNOWta". It worked great and doesn't harm the shingles. I ended up lifting the shoes on my snowblower and blowing it off then shoveling. Now that I have this new product I am going to try to keep up with it so it isn't such a P.I.T.A. I thank you all for your suggestions. Spring can arrive any day now. Time for some open water!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2020, 10:07 AM
Minnow

Location: New York but Often move to Vienna where my family live

Many houses in snowy areas or areas with harsh winters suffer from snow. When the snow for a long time decides on the roof, then it turns into stone blocks that can break your head. A big problem for many. I installed snow guards on roof. Such guards are referred to as ice breakers, ice stops, ice rake, or sometimes as snow stops, snow block, or anti-snow barriers.
Old 03-22-2020, 10:23 AM
Wallhanger

Location: Land of 10,000 lakes, even more taxes and the state where the police are handcuffed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiMinneye View Post
Now that's what I had in mind. Wish I could see a couple of pictures of it!
I did end up purchasing a new product from a Minnesota company called "MinnSNOWta". It worked great and doesn't harm the shingles. I ended up lifting the shoes on my snowblower and blowing it off then shoveling. Now that I have this new product I am going to try to keep up with it so it isn't such a P.I.T.A. I thank you all for your suggestions. Spring can arrive any day now. Time for some open water!
OMG, you lived thru that? Mercy.
Old 03-22-2020, 12:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Minnesota guy View Post
OMG, you lived thru that? Mercy.
Yes I did, but it was a lot of work. I thought the way the Minnesota winter was playing out that we were going to dumped on at least 1 more time.(Still could but we are on the downhill side now) But I will be ready next year now that I know to keep up with it!
Old 03-22-2020, 05:23 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugler View Post
About as great an idea as being a coward who goes to a guest name before posting their insult.
I AGREE
Old 03-22-2020, 06:37 PM
Guest too

"About as great an idea as being a coward who goes to a guest name before posting their insult."

What's your name Bungler?
Old 03-22-2020, 06:54 PM
Wallhanger

I have the same deal. I rake the snow off the roof onto the deck. It packs down good and hard. By May it's usually gone. Not really worth the effort trying to get it off the deck, it melts quick enough this time of year.

Sent from my LML713DL using Tapatalk