Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Alumacraft 185 Competitor 150 HP Prop? - Page 4 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 09-24-2020, 07:51 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slabdaddy View Post
JJY, in your opinion, do you think it is worth the effort to raise up one hole (from hole 2 to hole 3)? I am considering it. I don't think it needs to go down as the anti-cavitation plate is near the surface based on my test run earlier tonight on a local lake. I hit 42.7 mph with my son and I in the boat (about 320 lbs total), regular gear and under half tank of fuel. My RPMs are at about max (6,000). I am running a 19 pitch and am considering a 20 pitch to gain maybe a few mph. Several other alumacraft performance reports for this model and similar models with a yammi 150 push 48-50 mph. Some of those had the motor mounted in hole 3. I would be happy with 45-46 but am not going to lose sleep over it if I don't achieve. It just seems like there is a bit of drag someplace even though the plate in near the surface and I want to maximize efficiency for performance and fuel usage. And yes, I have the motor trimmed up properly once on plane. Confirmed today with my dealer that my motor has the standard 2.50.1 Suzuki gear ratio and not the 200.1. I absolutely love the boat and motor, just trying to dial in. Thanks all and Tight Lines!
I would try moving motor up to reduce the gearcase drag. Your rpm will probably increase by 100 and maybe 1-2mph. There are so many variables it's hard to give 100% correct answer on this subject. Really need to test.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2020, 07:58 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slabdaddy View Post
JJY, in your opinion, do you think it is worth the effort to raise up one hole (from hole 2 to hole 3)? I am considering it. I don't think it needs to go down as the anti-cavitation plate is near the surface based on my test run earlier tonight on a local lake. I hit 42.7 mph with my son and I in the boat (about 320 lbs total), regular gear and under half tank of fuel. My RPMs are at about max (6,000). I am running a 19 pitch and am considering a 20 pitch to gain maybe a few mph. Several other alumacraft performance reports for this model and similar models with a yammi 150 push 48-50 mph. Some of those had the motor mounted in hole 3. I would be happy with 45-46 but am not going to lose sleep over it if I don't achieve. It just seems like there is a bit of drag someplace even though the plate in near the surface and I want to maximize efficiency for performance and fuel usage. And yes, I have the motor trimmed up properly once on plane. Confirmed today with my dealer that my motor has the standard 2.50.1 Suzuki gear ratio and not the 200.1. I absolutely love the boat and motor, just trying to dial in. Thanks all and Tight Lines!
I own an Alumacraft 185 w/ a 150hp. No way it's going to hit 48-50 unless going downhill, with a rip tide, and a tail wind.
Old 09-24-2020, 11:37 AM
Slabdaddy

Thank you FinBender; can you please share your motor make, year, prop, mounting hole, top speed and corresponding RPMs? I am interested to hear from other owners. You may be right, maybe I am dreaming; however, I have seen several performance reports for Alumacraft 185 Trophy and Edges with 150s running 46-48 mph. These models are a few hundred pounds heavier and about 3" wider than the competitor. I think 46-48 is very achievable. Just my thoughts. I am still perplexed as to why I was only achieving 5200 RPMs with a Suzuki 15 x 21 pitch prop (verified by dealer who also did a test run) and then maxing out RPMs, even triggering the rev limiter when dropping to a 19 pitch. Something just seems off. Considering an aftermarket 14.5 x 20 pitch or 14 x 21 pitch prop. Thought is the smaller diameter would likely allow the prop to spin faster and get close to max rpms without exceeding and increase speed a few MPHs to maximize engine performance. Any other competitor owners, please feel free to weigh in on your experience. As stated before, love the boat and motor, just wanting to dial it in to perfection. Tight lines all!
Old 09-24-2020, 12:20 PM
Wallhanger

2012 Dominator & Optimax, Tempest plus 19p, I think one hole down from the top (I did raise the motor from where the dealer had set it). I probably should drop to a 17p as my rpms are a little low, but I suspect that my top speed will not change. I can get 45.x tops with an ultra light load, surprisingly I only loose a couple MPH with a loaded boat of 4 people, fuel, and gear.

Last edited by Fin Bender; 09-24-2020 at 12:41 PM.
Old 09-28-2020, 07:58 PM
Slabdaddy

Well, i decided it was worth the effort to raise the motor one hole (from second to third) and this was the result. First impressions:
1) bow seems to sit a bit lower and more level to the water line verses a slight angle pointing upward as before with motor mounted in second hole.
2) The hole shot was about the same, maybe a tad slower, but still very responsive. Boat seemed to get on plane about 2-300 RPMs less than before
3) steering and handling was night and day. Now the boat steers with little effort and seems to ride on top of the ways without cavitating. I did trim motor down a small amount when going into turns and id not encounter any prop blowout.
4). Before the test drive, I added 5 more gallons of fuel and with 4 people total and a dog in the boat was able to achieve right at 6K RPMS (max for suzuki 150). This was a half tank of fuel.
5) Top speed at WOT stayed nearly the same 43 mph increased to about 43.5 mph with a decent walleye chop. I may experiment with a 20 or 21 pitch prop now that I believe the height is correct.

The greatly improved handling and likely increased fuel efficiency (already seemed to sip fuel) is worth raising the motor IMO. Alumacraft dealers will say that the #2 mounting hole is standard which is probably accurate, but it is a starting point and may need to be adjusted depending on weight distribution and model. Also, I did not experience any porpoising when cruising at normal speeds and conditions. All and all, I am glad I raised my motor. Running a 15.25 x 19 pitch SS Suzuki Watergrip prop. Thank you all for your help along the way!
Old 09-29-2020, 12:21 PM
Wallhanger

Good deal. I noticed reduced steering effort also when engine is raised. Economy on my package seems to go up .2-.3mpg at cruise with each step up. Top speeds stay close to same. Moving engine up really coincides with a propeller that can take advantage from running high.
Old 10-01-2020, 08:14 AM
Wallhanger

ď... 5) Top speed at WOT stayed nearly the same 43 mph increased to about 43.5 mph with a decent walleye chop. I may experiment with a 20 or 21 pitch prop now that I believe the height is correct...Ē

Question: why do you believe the height is correct? Its not a question of belief. It is, or it isnít and can be visually verified. The anti ventilation should be out of the water when on plane. Has that been verified?

If height is verified, then a 1Ē pitch increase sounds good. Your objective should be 6000 RPM at WOT lightly loaded. If you donít get that with a production prop, the prop should be reworked by a good prop shop to achieve that objective.