Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Lac Seul Lure Suggestions? - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 06-11-2018, 10:58 AM
Keeper

Fished that area for years. You will not need a guide. Get a pile of 1/4 oz and 3/8 oz jigs, put on a minnow, find fish w/ your electronics - look for bottom breaks, mark fish - catch those fish. Depth can be anywhere from 7'-32' - use your graph. If you are catching sauger, you are too deep. Color does not seem to matter.

Don't bother getting up early or staying out late - the fish bite all day (and shut down at night).

I catch about as many pike walleye fishing as I do pike fishing. Especially in the evening - Get a lot of T-bones around there. Fun fight on 6-8 lb test. Other than that, find some weed edges and cast spoons (make sure you have a wire or floro leader). Spinnerbaits work well also.

You will need to travel a ways to find musky - either Northeast part of the lake or Southeast. A guide would be good for that species.

I will say you should temper any expectations you might have for the quality of lodging or service at Mahkwa. Great location though, just remember that is what you are paying for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2018, 01:56 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinbns View Post
It's a funny thing, Canadian's who fish shield lakes for Walleye love to jig and American's seem to love to troll.

I recently a bought a kicker as mostly an insurance policy for my big motor when I fish shallow water and for being 20 miles down LOTW from Kenora. When it was being installed by my Dealer who is the second largest Lund dealer in North America, the GM was telling me they don't even stock Kickers anymore as everyone jigs. The advent of spot lock killed off the kicker for 95% of Walleye guys in Canada especially those that fish the Canadian Shield.

Count me in as an American Jigger. Trolling is BORING to me.

To the OP, I bring everything but the kitchen sink to Canada but 75% of the time I am using 1/8oz jigs. I have been to Lac Seul once for the day when we were staying at a lodge on Eagle Lake. We boated 200 eyes in about 6hrs between three of us. It was a special day.
Old 06-16-2018, 09:09 PM
Minnow

Default lac sseul

Don't forget to bring a few jigging raps, just pay attention when dropping them down so you don't stick them in the rocks, you can probably see them on your sonar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2018, 09:02 AM
Wortsr

No Muskie in that area but plenty of walleye, pike & smallies. No jigs for me, troll 4-8 feet of water with a Klass Walleye Catcher (silver or brass with Steele line). Tip with a 5” Kalins plastic twister and troll at 1.7 mph. 100 walleye per boat per day plus accidentally catch 30 pike, one of which is likely 20#.
Old 06-17-2018, 11:37 AM
Minnow

Default LundPuller

Look for the Green Warrior Boat. Our gang of 9 will be there battling for the "PIG ON" Trophy. We are on the housekeeping side. stop by and say hello. We will be there from Sat 30th to July 6. Get ready to have fun! We usually search with crankbaits and then Jig. This year we tied a bunch of crawler and leech spinners, for bottom bouncing. (we have been fishing Devils a lot lately) Amything we can do to help just ask.

Spike
Old 06-18-2018, 01:32 PM
Keeper

When will you be up there LundPuller? I'll be there July 8-13. I've been going there since around 1999 or 2000.
Here's what we've learned. The fish are not in the same place every year, but general patterns hold true when we're there mid July every year. You'll find a lot of fish on wind swept points, or on mid-lake structure/drop-offs. We quit buying minnows or leeches 10 years ago, there's no need. We bring several flats of crawlers in bedding each year, and most years our group of 6-8 guys will go through 2-3 flats of crawlers. When we run out or the bite is good, we'll switch to gulp plastics and catch just as many. We mostly pull spinners/lindy rigs. It seems like we get bigger fish trolling than we do jigging, but that's not the rule by any means. Lots of guys do a lot of jigging there too, and do great. I don't think there is a wrong way no matter what you do. Walleye age classes seem to hang out together there. So if you find yourself in a pile of 16-17 inchers, you probably won't get many over 20" in that spot and you need to move on, or deeper if you want bigger fish. If you're going for quantity, 16-19inchers is where you'll find the high catch numbers. If you're looking for bigger fish, move spots until you start getting them over 20".
I'd echo the previous remark that you don't need to hire a guide. Even if it's your first time there, use your electronics to find some drop-offs or points, fish wind swept points, and you'll find fish.
I'd also echo the previous remark about the quality of the cabins. Don't expect much. Their cabins are NOT high quality. But if you're like most guests there, you're on the water fishing most of the day, not spending time in the cabins other than to eat & sleep.
Don't count on finding any musky, unless you're willing to hire a guide and take a 20-30 mile boat trip. You won't find them in that part of the lake.
For Pike, find any weed patches and cast them. About any pike style bait will work. Spoons, crankbaits, spinners, etc. Weeds will be in 10ft or less water.
Old 06-18-2018, 02:26 PM
Slot Fish

Tons of great suggestions in this thread. If you want to keep it simple, just bring lots of glow white 1/4 oz jigs and you will catch fish til your arms fall off.

I tend to bring lots of options with me because I'm a bass angler and throwing different baits is in my nature But there's not much that will outproduce a glow white jig and a minnow up there.
Old 06-18-2018, 07:34 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamoHunter View Post
When will you be up there LundPuller? I'll be there July 8-13. I've been going there since around 1999 or 2000.
Here's what we've learned. The fish are not in the same place every year, but general patterns hold true when we're there mid July every year. You'll find a lot of fish on wind swept points, or on mid-lake structure/drop-offs. We quit buying minnows or leeches 10 years ago, there's no need. We bring several flats of crawlers in bedding each year, and most years our group of 6-8 guys will go through 2-3 flats of crawlers. When we run out or the bite is good, we'll switch to gulp plastics and catch just as many. We mostly pull spinners/lindy rigs. It seems like we get bigger fish trolling than we do jigging, but that's not the rule by any means. Lots of guys do a lot of jigging there too, and do great. I don't think there is a wrong way no matter what you do. Walleye age classes seem to hang out together there. So if you find yourself in a pile of 16-17 inchers, you probably won't get many over 20" in that spot and you need to move on, or deeper if you want bigger fish. If you're going for quantity, 16-19inchers is where you'll find the high catch numbers. If you're looking for bigger fish, move spots until you start getting them over 20".
I'd echo the previous remark that you don't need to hire a guide. Even if it's your first time there, use your electronics to find some drop-offs or points, fish wind swept points, and you'll find fish.
I'd also echo the previous remark about the quality of the cabins. Don't expect much. Their cabins are NOT high quality. But if you're like most guests there, you're on the water fishing most of the day, not spending time in the cabins other than to eat & sleep.
Don't count on finding any musky, unless you're willing to hire a guide and take a 20-30 mile boat trip. You won't find them in that part of the lake.
For Pike, find any weed patches and cast them. About any pike style bait will work. Spoons, crankbaits, spinners, etc. Weeds will be in 10ft or less water.
Will be up at Mahkwa July 2nd -> July 6th, and on to eagle for a few days to try and get a musky. Appreciate the advice, might try and pickup some crawlers before I leave. Won't be in the cabin much hopefully, so that shouldn't be an issue at all.
Old 06-19-2018, 12:38 PM
Minnow

My 7-trips to Lac Suel we have always jigged with minnow for walleye. Later the season, deeper the hunt and heavier the jig has worked for me.

A Johnson spoon with white Mr. Twister tail or spinner will keep you on Northern all day. Actually grew tired of catxhing Northern up there.

Smallies have loved a pumpkin green tube jig. I have had more fun with big smallies there than anywhere. I have fished with a tube jig for days straight and caught Notthern, Walleye, Smallies and white fish on same rig and pole.

Lots of success with white rigs up there....May, June and/or July trips.

That ¡s my experience there.

Enjoy...love Lac Suel fishing.

X

Tags
fishing , musky , pike , seul , walleye