Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Are all jack plates created equal? - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 01-22-2018, 08:51 AM
Keeper

I run a Bobs Extreme unit. It lifts my 350 Verado at wide open throttle with little problem. Super easy installation and no messing with external hydraulic lines. I will prob try a PowerTran on my next boat. There wasn't a unit for the 350 when I bought the Bobs but I have heard awesome things about the PT since they have been out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2018, 02:37 PM
Wallhanger

Default adjustment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub_Elect View Post
I run a Bobs Extreme unit. It lifts my 350 Verado at wide open throttle with little problem. Super easy installation and no messing with external hydraulic lines. I will prob try a PowerTran on my next boat. There wasn't a unit for the 350 when I bought the Bobs but I have heard awesome things about the PT since they have been out.
Do you adjust the height while running very much or once you get it set, it is set? I'm thinking of using a 10" fixed plate.
Old 01-24-2018, 02:46 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by clawman View Post
Do you adjust the height while running very much or once you get it set, it is set? I'm thinking of using a 10" fixed plate.
I'm adjusting mine all the time. It's almost like a trim switch after a while, you just get used to always adjusting it for optimum performance and it becomes second nature. A fixed plated would be of very little use to me, I'd probably just stick with direct bolt on and some trial and error until I had the best all around height if that was the only option.

The Verado has a significant setback built into it already, adding a 10" plate would be WAY overkill in my opinion, you'd have 14-16" of setback or more. I'd also check with Ranger, I think I've read on here somewhere that they have a max. allowable setback to maintain your warranty.

Regardless of the brand of boat, if you're running a Verado, you want a plate with 4" of setback, 6" max. according to my understanding.

Waxy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2018, 03:10 PM
Wallhanger

I think 8" is max setback on 1880 hull. I think your verado has 4 or 5" built in. I'm going with 8" Rapid Jack on my 1880 this year. I want the setback for more bow lift and ability to play with prop to pad height. In my mind, hydro plate is not worth the $ on this hull. If I had a flats boat in Florida, then yes.
Old 01-25-2018, 06:26 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by clawman View Post
I adjust my plate all the time. I fish the Missouri River as well as Lake Sakakawea. The Missouri has a lot of sand bars that move and shift so I am always playing with it there. On the lake I play with it but not as much. If its a windy or gusty day I play with it a lot more because of the waves.

I had a fixed plate on my old boat and once I set it for top speed I ended up lowering it quite a bit to get the boat to run right in waves. That's the reason I bought this hydraulic plate.

As a side note a verado already has a built in 6" setback. I know quite a few 621 owners that run an additional 6" setback jack plate with very good luck. I think a 10" would be overkill. Here's a little read for you.

http://www.veradoclub.com/index.php?topic=1375.15
Old 01-25-2018, 07:55 AM
Wallhanger

Reading the thread referenced above it would seem that the Verado does not actually have a built in setback. It has an offset powerhead if I understand correctly.
Solix 12 G1
Old 01-25-2018, 08:02 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Pro View Post
Reading the thread referenced above it would seem that the Verado does not actually have a built in setback. It has an offset powerhead if I understand correctly.
Which changes the center of gravity and leverage point. It is what a setback plate does for you. They change the ability for the motor to leverage the hull and lift it out of the water. If the weight is further back by 6" its like moving a person on a teeter totter 6" further aft and gives them a better mechanical advantage over a load they are lifting.

We have all experienced this when using a hammer, wrench, tin snips, plyers or baseball bat. You cant do more work because you are only so strong, but you give yourself a bigger mechanical advantage to apply torque.
Old 01-25-2018, 08:06 AM
Wallhanger

One thing to watch is the series of Verado as well. The 4 cyl units do not have the built in offset like the 6 cyl.

Ranger recommended 8" for the 4cyl Verado but unfortunately Powertran only has 6"

At any rate here is a 4 cyl Verado with an 8" manual setback added.

https://www.robertson-marine.com/201...667&in-stock=1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1880MS1.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	267.3 KB
ID:	284298  
Solix 12 G1

Last edited by Diesel Pro; 01-25-2018 at 06:40 PM.