Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
really need a truck? - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 11-09-2019, 11:50 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Ott View Post
OK I'm sure YOU do,..but for the rest of the population (and I realize its somewhat regional, )but I see guys with big trucks ,some friends 'some just acquaintances, others just observing them,.. that seem to just drive around town and get coffee, the paper, to work and other chores but never have much in the truck bed.

Seems like for very many its a status thing or a guy thing. They often complain about the price of fuel (prob because they use so much.) But it seems to me very few guys NEED a truck for what they do. Yes I know the argument.,, that when you need one you have one, but I think I can do most things with a tag along trailer and hitch once in a while.

I have a friend that spends a lot of time washing and polishing his truck. I don't have time for all that,..I find other things to have pride in..

We're proud of you buddy, it takes a lot of balls to drive that hatchback Prius down the highway Good for you

If a car could pull my boat and ice shack, and was able to drive offroad I'd own one.

But they can't......so I don't......

"If you're wise enough to wear a seatbelt in your truck.....you're wise enough to wear a life jacket in your boat....." (B-man)

Grady White 208 Hard-top 200 Yami
Lund Pro V 1660 60 HP Merc
Pro-Line 24 wa 250 Verado (sold)
Lund 186 Tyee 175 Verado (sold)
Ram 2500 Cummins
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2019, 11:54 AM
Wallhanger

I wouldn't say I complain about gas mileage with my truck. But the difference between a 2500 and 1500 is huge - so I'd never own a 2500, in part, because of economy factors.

My bed is rarely full. But I have a 21 mower in there a couple days a week, and numerous miscalaneous things throughout the year. As was said above, tons of space, drivability in adverse conditions (we have hills that are impassable for many when it's snowing) and I can haul my boat and trailer all I want, with ease. Mine is a RAM with Ramboxes. So my tools, mowing supplies, tire inflator, basketballs, clothes, bungies, etc all go in there. I even put the doggie bag after eating out in ther, if it's a long ride home lol. Not sure what I'd do with a truck without them!

The other thing I like about my truck is it's loaded with creature comforts, like a luxury car. So I sort of get the best of both worlds with.
Old 11-09-2019, 12:12 PM
Charter Member

i bought my first pick up truck in 1967 and have owned one ever since then. I won't list all the things I have used a truck for but I believe they are the most practical vehicle for a man to own. If I could only have one vehicle it would be a pick up truck.

From now thru spring I will use my truck to haul a snow blower, make a month long fishing trip to Florida with my boat and trailer, haul a ton or more of 1 1/2 inch river rock, a ton of top soil and gravel for base material to lay a small concrete slab. I will also haul lumber to make some deck repairs and to install a set of wood stairs to make the transition from my patio to my elevated driveway.

Maybe I don 't need a truck but I sure as the devil will find it convenient.

Jack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2019, 12:33 PM
Wallhanger

How about gas cans and garbage.We have a place up north they do not have garbage pick up.So all that crap isn't in the car with me yard waste you name it it is in there.I have to have a truck! It is not an option,But I love driving a truck more than a car so for that reason I would still own one good luck
Old 11-09-2019, 12:46 PM
Wallhanger

Default Happy wife = happy life

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/d09Z/gmc-bla...-one-for-me-t2

HRG
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gmc-black-friday-event-one-for-you-one-for-me-t2-large-5.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	313756  
Old 11-09-2019, 12:54 PM
Wallhanger

We can't pull our fifth wheel with our Expedition or our Mustang convertible, so we have an F250. I also ice fish and hunt, but they tell me shooting deer out of a convertible with the top down is a no no.
Old 11-09-2019, 02:49 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Ott View Post
OK I'm sure YOU do,..but for the rest of the population (and I realize its somewhat regional, )but I see guys with big trucks ,some friends 'some just acquaintances, others just observing them,.. that seem to just drive around town and get coffee, the paper, to work and other chores but never have much in the truck bed.

Seems like for very many its a status thing or a guy thing. They often complain about the price of fuel (prob because they use so much.) But it seems to me very few guys NEED a truck for what they do. Yes I know the argument.,, that when you need one you have one, but I think I can do most things with a tag along trailer and hitch once in a while.

I have a friend that spends a lot of time washing and polishing his truck. I don't have time for all that,..I find other things to have pride in..
I have two trucks (really three at the moment until one is gone) a new F250 and and an old F350 both with 8 foot beds. I use the old 350 for just about everything, so that bed usually has cr-p in it as for the new truck its not gonna haul firewood or such but be used more for pulling the travel trailer or boat on long distances but do I complain about the price of fuel maybe once in a while but Ive learned to accept that if I wanna play I gotta pay!
I also live in a remote part of Ontario so having a truck is almost mandatory.

Fisherman 1792
Old 11-09-2019, 03:09 PM
Gopher 3X

I guess if I just ran to the store for granola bars and yogurt I wouldn't need a truck. But, my life involves pulling boats, horse trailers, fish houses, and snowmobile trailers. A Prius is not going to cut it. Plus, my truck can do everything a car can do with just as much comfort. If I could only have one vehicle it would be a pickup. Did your wife confiscate your man card Harold?
Old 11-09-2019, 05:14 PM
Wallhanger

Well, I don’t necessarily think I have to justify my choice of vehicles to some anonymous (to put it politely) person on a social media site, but here’s my $.02.

I usually have a boat I pull around. I like to fish, I use my pickup to haul things for the house, I also haul lumber and what knot to support my woodworking hobby. I am also 6’3” tall, and am no small little pip squeak. I like the room. My 2015 Chevy has unique styling compared to most of the American and foreign cars and sport utilities running around these days.

We also have a 2017 Cadillac XTS sitting in the driveway, wifey drives that to work, and we go out together in it occasionally, but about 80% of the time we jump in the Chevy and go. Wifey’s 5’5”, but she says the Chevy is more comfy/roomy too. And by the way, she’s not obese either, if that’s what you’re thinking.

Anyhow, Juls nailed it with her comment.
Old 11-09-2019, 05:56 PM
Charter Member

I have a ‘09 Chev 2500HD 6.0L. Pulls the 5th wheel to lake in spring and brings it back in fall. In the meantime sits at lake to put boat into the water. Winter time sits with a trickle charger on battery with license off of it beside the house. Bought it when it was 4 years old, had it for 6 years and have put an entire 10,000km(6,000miles) on it. Sucks on gas, but runs perfect. I’m happy.
HB Helix 12 SI
112Terrova I-pilot
101 Vantage
w5