Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Recommendation for Spotlock/AnchorLock - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 11-10-2019, 08:28 PM
Wallhanger

The Minnkota on-board Charger for your TM battery will extend the life of it. It is cheap insurance that your battery will be 100% when you go out too. Another thing to consider is the size of the wire between the battery and the TM. Six gauge would work the best, unless your going to be closer to six feet between them, then eight gauge will work.

Is your dealer in Waukesha?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2019, 12:19 AM
Wallhanger

Don't write the Xi5 off based on a couple of bad reviews here. There are also plenty of people here that have an Xi5 and use it without issue. I had an Xi5 and it worked great for me. If you google Minn kota problems you will get hundreds of hits, does that mean you should avoid Minn kota? Of course not.

Now even though me and S Larson are on opposite ends of the Xi5 spectrum I will agree the Ultrex motor has alot to offer and would be a great addition to your boat.
Rhodan 72" 36v 120 lb. thrust trolling motor
2 Simrad NSS12
Lowrance HDS 12 gen2
Lowrance point 1
Simrad is40
Sonarhub
LSS 1
2 36" Cannon tracks
2 Cannon electric downriggers
2 Highseas quad rod trees
6 Bert's ratcheting rod holders
Old 11-11-2019, 06:59 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassin08 View Post
A 55# Minnkota Terrova with Spot Lock will work great on your boat. Get a group 31 battery and a on-board Minnkota battery charger and you will be all set. You don’t need a 60” shaft for your boat either, a 52” will work just fine. I speak from experience, I think we both talked to the same dealer.

The Ultrex is not available in 12-volt, so that means another battery in a 14' boat.

I have a 12-volt Terrova on a 16-1/2' tiller and it is all the motor I need. The lift assist on the Terrova works great. Get an onboard charger. Charge the battery after every trip.

Read your owner's manual.

Last edited by h8go4s; 11-11-2019 at 07:02 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2019, 07:41 AM
Wallhanger

I pretty much have to stay with a 12v. The battery compartment in the front is limited. The wire run is short - less than 6ft. The comments from the dealer/installer who handles both Minn Kota nd Motor Guide really got me spooked. He had a floor model Xi5 in parts because he couldn't get parts in a timely matter.
Old 11-11-2019, 02:09 PM
Wallhanger

If I go terrova route, will I need a GPS puck? That's where I get all confused - even after searches. I'd like a little bit more background before I walk into a dealer.
Old 11-11-2019, 02:21 PM
Wallhanger

Yes, the Terrova comes with a heading sensor puck. It requires 12 volt power. It has a very low draw, but even so make sure that it is on switched power so it won't draw against your battery when you are not using it.

andersaki
Old 11-11-2019, 02:25 PM
Wallhanger

You can get a Minn Kota PowerDrive instead and no puck is required, not even a fish finder/GPS unit for it to work.
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Old 11-11-2019, 02:29 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurs101 View Post
If I go terrova route, will I need a GPS puck? That's where I get all confused - even after searches. I'd like a little bit more background before I walk into a dealer.
It comes with a GPS puck/heading sensor. You have (2) 12V/54" choices;

# 1358805, no Universal Sonar, $1219 MSRP

# 1358857, with Universal Sonar, $1599 MSRP.

HRG

Me, I was happy with the MG Xi5 I had, I'd certainly look at a Xi3 w/gps no-sonar for $999
Old 11-11-2019, 04:04 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Winds View Post
You can get a Minn Kota PowerDrive instead and no puck is required, not even a fish finder/GPS unit for it to work.
You don't need a fish finder/GPS to make any Minn Kota or Motorguide motor "work" . They are stand alone units.
Rhodan 72" 36v 120 lb. thrust trolling motor
2 Simrad NSS12
Lowrance HDS 12 gen2
Lowrance point 1
Simrad is40
Sonarhub
LSS 1
2 36" Cannon tracks
2 Cannon electric downriggers
2 Highseas quad rod trees
6 Bert's ratcheting rod holders
Old 11-11-2019, 06:04 PM
Wallhanger

I had an XI 5 until last fall when bought new boat and went with a Terrova. No particular reason wanted to try the Minnkota since I have had two motorguides. Both of my TM have had the remote and foot pedal so you can use either one or both. Less functions on MG remote and foot pedal was wireless, The terrova has remote and wire to foot pedal but wire is long enough to take anywhere in the boat. Spot lock on the MG was a lot better than my buddies older Minnkota but the new Terrova spot lock is better than the MG. The terrova steers quieter but the heading lock was better on my MG. The terrova has a spring assist for lifting and makes raising the motor a breeze. Both are good motors warranties are excellent on both from my experience. The functions get better with every year like most technology I would lean towards Minnkota at this point in time. Better spot lock and my run time is better than expected. There are numerous quick release brackets in different price ranges that will make winter removal easy. Good luck with your purchase.