Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Cataracts and glasses - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 11-12-2019, 07:19 PM
Wallhanger

Default Cataracts and glasses

At the end of Dec I will have had my Cataracts removed, also a lens put in to cure astigmatism.
Be the first time since grade school I will not need glasses other than to read up close.

At 72 I'm more than a bit excited about all this.
Any of you went through something like this and what are your thoughts ??

Al...who may now have to give up his anatomy classes in braille....
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2019, 07:56 PM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenW View Post
At the end of Dec I will have had my Cataracts removed, also a lens put in to cure astigmatism.
Be the first time since grade school I will not need glasses other than to read up close.

At 72 I'm more than a bit excited about all this.
Any of you went through something like this and what are your thoughts ??

Al...who may now have to give up his anatomy classes in braille....
I'm 65 and had both eyes done ~ 10 years ago. Not having glasses on your nose will be a lil strange at first but it's awesome not having to wear glasses. I can read the newspaper without help but need magnifiers for tiny text. Also, I am somewhat light sensitive and need sunglasses in bright sunlight. (pretty common after cataract surgery). The procedure itself isn't bad ~ 2 hrs start to finish. I had one done then the other couple weeks later. Good luck with your surgery.

Hop
Old 11-12-2019, 08:06 PM
Wallhanger

I was through the process about a year ago. Except for the eyedrop routeen things went well for me. I did have a couple issues about 6 months down the road. There is a membrane behind the lens which will cloud up and impair a clear picture. Was told about 25% need that quick laser surgery. I was getting glare from lights at night. That was cleared up from this procedure(Yag Capsulotomy) IIRC. I chose to not have my astigmatism messed with, at least for now. I wear corrected sunglasses driving. I always wear sunglasses anyway. Not sure how your healthcare works but with medicare and a supplemental policy it has not cost anything additional save the Sunglasses. An initial pair of glasses were covered under Medicare. I am enjoying clear sight nowadays. Bob
Am 74

Last edited by Ozark Bob; 11-12-2019 at 08:09 PM. Reason: Age
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2019, 08:12 PM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark Bob View Post
I did have a couple issues about 6 months down the road. There is a membrane behind the lens which will cloud up and impair a clear picture. Was told about 25% need that quick laser surgery. I was getting glare from lights at night. That was cleared up from this procedure(Yag Capsulotomy) IIRC. Bob

I also had the saggy membrane thingy in one eye and the quick laser surgery fixed that.

Hop
Old 11-12-2019, 08:38 PM
Minnow

Default cataracts

Good luck, you will wish you had gotten it done sooner. Had both done, and am very satisfied with results. Quck, painless, and very effective. Just follow the Dr.'s orders regarding eye drops etc.
Old 11-13-2019, 07:26 AM
Wallhanger

Be aware that retina tears and separation are a risk factor. 2 years later had 7 major eye surgeries.
Old 11-13-2019, 07:48 AM
Wallhanger

Choose your doctor carefully(as in any surgery). Everything in life has risks and pre existing conditions are sometimes undetected till something happens. My research shows that it is not a common situation. Not to mention 2 years is a long time after surgery. Get regular exams also. Bob
Old 11-13-2019, 10:45 AM
Keeper

Default Still changing

I had Lasik surgery about 20 years ago. While it is not the same exact same procedure as your Cataract procedure, the results are similar. Oh yeah the results may change over time.

Before surgery I was nearsighted and wore glasses (I was still young enough not to need reading glasses). Lasik gave me better than 20/20 vision and voila I no longer needed glasses/contacts. Aahhh, free at last. I could read the alarm clock without glasses. No vision correction need in the pool. No more tending to the semi-fragile eyewear.

Bought some new expensive sunglasses. That worked for a few years until I got old(er) and needed reading glasses. Replace my expensive sunglasses with new sunglasses that included magnification section so I could tie knots, read the fishfinder/GPS, read anything while driving, etc.

Then I got ever older and mother nature changed my eyes again. I needed distance glasses again. Back to wearing glasses all the time and use prescription sunglasses. The expensive sunglasses with reader magnification are mothballed.
Old 11-13-2019, 12:17 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Jig tyr View Post
Good luck, you will wish you had gotten it done sooner. Had both done, and am very satisfied with results. Quck, painless, and very effective. Just follow the Dr.'s orders regarding eye drops etc.
I would have got the Lasik done earlier, but I was told they couldn't cure the astigmatism completely and I'd still have to wear glasses, so I passed on the chance of having something go wrong.
That was about 10-15 years ago I think.

I was told there might be a problem with some people and the YAG thing, but the corrective surgery for that was pretty routine, little risk.

As far as coverage, it's gonna cost about 2k, as medicare evidently covers cataracts but not the lens replacement.
We're still checking with my other insurance company but either way, I'll have it done.

We're going through the Minnesota eye consultants in Bloomington and both the business and the doctor doing the surgery are as good as it gets from reviews and people I have talked to.
Especially the doctor, she has quite the rep.

Be strange not to have to wear glasses.

al
Old 11-13-2019, 01:57 PM
Keeper

I had cataract surgery in 2007. Yes it was a refreshing change after 50 years of wearing glasses. I, too, have the corrective implants. No issues in 12 years and ,actually, have 20/10 vision in both eyes. Workup was the biggest inconvenience, surgery was painless, and results were immediate. When I stepped outside and looked around, I couldn't believe how much cataracts had impeded my sight. If you have confidence in your healthcare providers, go for it. Be forewarned, however, when your friends find out about your newfound optical abilities, you may be reading a lot of fine print and threading a lot of fish hooks for your friends. A small price for the gift of clear vision. And, yes, I realize there are risks, but vision impairment carries risk, too.
As far as glasses, I wear sunglasses when I feel the need.