Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Buying a boat, travel??? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 11-14-2019, 04:38 PM
Wallhanger

Default Buying a boat, travel???

Just curious, come spring I plan on putting my boat up for sale. Great fishing machine, but older, still looks like new. My question is this, how far would you travel to buy it. I know lots of variables, but lets say it fits your criteria, how far would you drive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2019, 04:52 PM
Slot Fish

Guessing you will get responses across the board.

Before upgrading and purchasing my last boat, I had a search radius of about 2-3 hours knowing my schedule with work, family, life limited the ability to act quick on a good used boat. My specifications were a bit more vague. I wasn't so much targeted on a specific model or brand, but more of a general layout - 17+ foot, walk thru windshield, four stroke motor, fish/ski type model.

I really keyed in on boats 1/2 hour to 1 hour away and if it was further, the boat really needed to knock my socks off.

My neighbor next to me however, had a specific year, make, model, color, brand motor, i-pilot...etc that he was looking for. I had found him the exact boat that matched everything plus some for a great price but he always passed. He ended up finally finding his boat 2 states over and after a conversation with the seller and a few cell phone pics....he was in love. Took off work on a Friday, got up early and drove with cash in hand....had already confirmed he'd purchase the boat sight unseen. Well, once he got it home and in the garage and really started to look it over, it was in a lot rougher shape than he thought and still sometimes gets buyers remorse about the purchase.

Depending on the boat and the price, people may travel a little or a long way. Good luck in your sale.

Steve
Old 11-14-2019, 04:55 PM
Wallhanger

Depends on the money saved. I drove 2,500 each way from Anchorage to Washington state 3 different times to buy different boats.

2015 Alumacraft T-195
Yamaha 200
Ulterra w/Ilink 112
Helix 10SI w/GPS

2019 Lowe 1852 Aura
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2019, 05:40 PM
Slot Fish

I drove 6 hours to get my boat. It was brand new from a dealership though. Don't think I would do that with a private seller.
Old 11-14-2019, 06:07 PM
Slot Fish

I've done about 600 miles three times to buy boats. Considering doing it again right now. Availability and pricing sucks here.
Old 11-14-2019, 06:12 PM
Charter Member

My current boat.....750 miles one way, in the winter and cold. Absolutely no regrets. The seller was straight with me and I with him.
HB Helix 12 SI
112Terrova I-pilot
101 Vantage
w5
Old 11-14-2019, 08:41 PM
Wallhanger

I drove from Mpls. MN to HiltonHead island, SC to pick up my Grady White after a short trip to a dealer in Walker, MN.
Old 11-14-2019, 08:47 PM
Wallhanger

Bought mine from a private party. About 9 hours each way... price was really right though.
BT terrova link
Old 11-14-2019, 08:50 PM
Slot Fish

My story reflects mrwalleye5, 645 miles each way from southern Illinois to northern Wisconsin to get my current boat. In January.

If you have something unique or hard to find, people will travel for it. If you have a fairly common machine I think you’ll have less long distance interest.

I wanted a deep, wide, 18’ tiller. Those don’t (hardly) exist in my part of the country so I had to look further. I offered the seller a non-refundable deposit once we made a deal to show him I was serious. Paid the rest when I picked it up.

We both walked away happy with our deal.

Steve
Old 11-15-2019, 12:44 AM
Wallhanger

Drove about 335 miles each way for my last boat. Drove 250 to deliver a boat for inspection I’m glad he bought it