Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Buying a boat, travel??? - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 11-15-2019, 02:07 AM
Minnow

Everything will depend on the offer and my route. I travel, so if it's not far away, I would love to buy and transfer to a boat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2019, 02:19 AM
Slot Fish

I did about 6 hours one way to pick up a pontoon from one of those crash toys outfits.Rig was supposed to be ready to go when I got there at 10AM.Someone dropped the ball,and it was still buried in the back yard.It was in worse shape than described on listing,missing some parts and a few hours to get the trailer roadworthy.I called the guy that bought it,and he said just bring it back and give the guy the check.I was paid for my troubles,and never told him that he paid too much.I guess he got stuck in a bidding war and lost.
Old 11-15-2019, 04:03 AM
Wallhanger

I sold one to a guy from Canada 14 hour drive everything went well
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2019, 04:33 AM
Wallhanger

The right boat for the right price I would drive to Schaumburg.
Old 11-15-2019, 07:25 AM
Wallhanger

Driving overnight-tonite-8 hrs to see and test drive another boat. If all goes well-I will be pulling it home tomorrow.
Walteye
Old 11-15-2019, 07:36 AM
Wallhanger

Very interesting. I am pondering on where to advertise it. My local suburb has a free ad section and also Craigslist is free. A couple of the fishing sites I visit are also free. I guess I will start there and see how it goes. Some guys do some real travel for a boat. Right now all I have is a pic of the boat. Once I get the boat out on the drive I will have to take a bunch more pics of the outside and inside. Thanks again for the info.
Old 11-15-2019, 08:17 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffishman View Post
Very interesting. I am pondering on where to advertise it. My local suburb has a free ad section and also Craigslist is free. A couple of the fishing sites I visit are also free. I guess I will start there and see how it goes. Some guys do some real travel for a boat. Right now all I have is a pic of the boat. Once I get the boat out on the drive I will have to take a bunch more pics of the outside and inside. Thanks again for the info.

Being you are in a high density populated area, there should be plenty prospects with your Craigslist listing from all over Northern Illinois. For those further from you, in their own online local searches that might not have much for sale, Craigslist will find your ad and present to them as an out of area list. Of course will also show them your competition, depending on their search criteria.

But if wishing to expand your reach, Not only place Craiglist ad in the local Chicago area, it would not hurt to target areas with separate ads in areas such as Rockford ,DeKalb, Kankakee,even Milwaukee. Should get plenty hits. An ad here certainly would expand your reach also. Make sure to keep them updated and active.

But also be patient. With the the holidays and winter setting in, might be a bit slow, but when the fishing/boat shows start rolling, and people go in to sticker shock on the cost of new boats, make sure your ads are all up and running, and fasten your seatbelt ! Good luck.

Last edited by MarkG; 11-15-2019 at 08:21 AM.
Old 11-15-2019, 01:58 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffishman View Post
ffishman, I would recommend that you clean it up and take a series of quality pictures that would provide a potential buyer with a realistic look at exactly what they would be getting. List all of the options and features. Emphasize any unique features that set it apart from other boats out there. If it has a low amount of total hours on the outboard, make a point to emphasize it. A garage kept boat is always more desirable as well. If you have a nice boat that is desirable to potential buyers, I'm sure traveling 3 hours or more would not be out of the question. However, if it is something that they could get just about anywhere, not so much. Boattrader.com is a pretty good place to advertise, but it costs about $100 with pictures.
Old 11-15-2019, 03:09 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo-NC View Post
ffishman, I would recommend that you clean it up and take a series of quality pictures that would provide a potential buyer with a realistic look at exactly what they would be getting. List all of the options and features. Emphasize any unique features that set it apart from other boats out there. If it has a low amount of total hours on the outboard, make a point to emphasize it. A garage kept boat is always more desirable as well. If you have a nice boat that is desirable to potential buyers, I'm sure traveling 3 hours or more would not be out of the question. However, if it is something that they could get just about anywhere, not so much. Boattrader.com is a pretty good place to advertise, but it costs about $100 with pictures.
Having gone thru this earlier this year, here's what I can add. Guys want to see pictures of the lower unit, so remember to take a couple different angles. Also, it just makes sense to be able to start and run it, so figure out how you can accomplish that if it's 15 degrees outside.

If I can be of any help. let me know. HRG
Old 11-15-2019, 04:01 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by walteye View Post
Driving overnight-tonite-8 hrs to see and test drive another boat. If all goes well-I will be pulling it home tomorrow.
Walteye
What is the weather forcast! Good Luck