Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Legend Elite for verticle jigging. - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 11-23-2020, 09:19 AM
Keeper

I use a 66MF Legend Elite for my vertical jigging.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2020, 12:09 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJR View Post
Nice thing about vertical jigging is that it's a tip down technique, so you can get away with essentially the smallest/lightest reel you want. I'm probably just going to pick up a used ci4+ 1000 to throw on my 6'3 elite.

RJR
X2 on this.

I'm not big on "balancing" my setup, I just don't see any benefit to it, especially intentionally adding weight. I want the lightest setup I can put together. In my opinion, that lighter overall weight contributes more to sensitivity and definitely reduces fatigue when you're working that combo for 8 hrs.

1000 size Ci4 or the new Vanford for me on my jigging or rigging rods.

Waxy
Old 11-24-2020, 11:23 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom1955 View Post
Why do you prefer the XF over a fast for vertical jigging?
Pretty much as RJR put it.I have fished fast action and XF action side by side,and prefer the XF.Better bite detection as long as tip is not overloaded.
Old 11-24-2020, 12:21 PM
Wallhanger

Default Follow-Up

Greetings,

I strongly concur with Seeark1660.

As the season progresses, I keep two walleye rods in the boat when vertical jigging. One is a St. Croix LES70LF. The other is a LES70MLXF. I fish the LES70LF with 1/16 ounce jigs. I fish the LES70MLXF with 1/8 ounce jigs. Both rods are set up with Stradic CI4 reels with 1000 series frames. The reels have 6 pound Trilene monofilament. I like the setup of these rods, reels and line because the sensitivity is outstanding. The feel to me with either rod is identical.

I often favor a St. Croix TWS70LF in the early season. I pair this rod with the same Stradic reel and Trilene line. I use this setup in the early season, fishing windblown shorelines with pencil reeds. I anchor the boat a cast away from reeds, and then cast to the edge of the reeds with 1/32 or 1/16 ounce jigs. I can often feel the jig slide up a reed stalk and then fall off. I then wait about two seconds before setting the hook.

Good fishing and tight lines!!
Old 11-25-2020, 04:26 AM
Wallhanger

Default Hmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJR View Post
So you're running 6lb mono and have no trouble feeling bottom with 1/16 in 30+ feet? I just don't believe that. Unless it is absolutely dead calm.

RJR
Exactly true if your barely creeping along
Old 11-25-2020, 08:05 AM
Wallhanger

Default Follow-Up

Greetings,

Gary: Thanks for jumping onto this thread and offering your comments. I didn't want to get into it with anyone. The wife and I have been vertical jigging with 1/16 ounce jigs in 20-35 fow for decades. A key to doing this is staying vertical, otherwise we would be trolling. Other keys are fishing with optimal equipment such as rods and fishing line. Some folks can fish this way, whereas others are challenged to do it for whatever reason.

Old 11-25-2020, 08:07 AM
Keeper

I ordered (upgraded) the Elite 6'3" mxf yesterday. It's back-ordered until next year sometime.
2014 Humminbird 859 ciHD DI
2014 Terrova 55 Link
Old 11-26-2020, 06:50 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornToFish View Post
Greetings,

Gary: Thanks for jumping onto this thread and offering your comments. I didn't want to get into it with anyone. The wife and I have been vertical jigging with 1/16 ounce jigs in 20-35 fow for decades. A key to doing this is staying vertical, otherwise we would be trolling. Other keys are fishing with optimal equipment such as rods and fishing line. Some folks can fish this way, whereas others are challenged to do it for whatever reason.

Wasn't trying to get into an argument with you, I'm just shocked you run 1/16 in 30 feet haha. I just couldn't do that with 6lb mono. I find that if there is even a breath of wind (even with spot lock) I just can't stay vertical enough to be within my sonar cone with 1/16, so I run 1/8 at the minimum but usually 1/4 if I'm deeper than 20 feet.

RJR