Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
used tiller brands/years to stay away from? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 06-17-2018, 09:33 AM
Wallhanger

Default used tiller brands/years to stay away from?

I did a search and couldn't find anything so hope this is kind of a new thread...??

I'm considering looking for a used glass tiller...it would be a second boat as I already have a 20' Ranger. I love love LOVE the fishability of my Ranger(specially down here in timber in spring, but at times want to do some other things like trolling that its not perfect at(but can be done for the most part of its windy using the trolling motor to slow down the drift). the big motor isn't really an option when trolling at all...trolls to fast and mechanics have told me to keep those hours off of it.

My Bass Boat was awesome most the week up on KAB, but there were techniques I wanted to do that would have worked better out of a tiller. also, my dads getting older so sitting on a boat is not as appealing as sitting in it. the more the wind blows the more excited I get(for about any species), but at times that's an athletic affair in big waves so not for him.

anyway, I'm thinking something along the lines of a used 618T, 1785 BT, etc. 17 -18 foot range with a 70+ HP motor. not really wanting to get into 18+/150+ HP range as it is a second boat for KS and north 2-3 weeks a year. I wont use it as much as my Bass Boat. At this point, getting rid of my BB really isn't on the table.

So my questions....

1. in general, any years/ brands I should stay away from?( I know ...opinion and everyone has one, don't mean to start a fight) .i.e I think warrior went out of business for a while so maybe stay clear of them prior to 2015 or whenever that was? or maybe not worry about it? IF I find a good hull with dry transom..who cares...?

2. Im leaning towards glass as I think it might fish more like my Ranger(wind doesn't really effect it a whole lot... it sticks to the water) but I have nothing except old experience from my younger days to draw from. I love fishing in wind and being able to dial in on fish or a structure. maybe a lower profile aluminum walleye boat would be fine? maybe glass is better? maybe not?

I talked with a guy this week who told me he couldn't hold the points in the wind/waves I was with a higher side Lund so that's what got me focused on glass. but who knows maybe its only a skill thing, idk...We just don't have the inventory and experience down here that I can draw from. people don't buy tillers down here much so demoing one is pretty difficult unless I want travel a few states north.

Really appreciate your thoughts.

Last edited by kswalleyer; 06-17-2018 at 09:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2018, 11:26 AM
Charter Member

Not sure what you are willing to spend, or what your storage capabilities are?

Seeing how you mentioned twice your satisfaction with Ranger - maybe consider the Ranger 620T or 618T.

I know of a couple that had 618T's for a short period of time, both liked the boat for everything other than storage capacity. For your limited use, that limited storage might still be very workable as a second boat, used a couple times a year. The longer boat obviously will be more forgiving when the wind comes up, and since you mentioned you like to fish in the wind, and your father's needs include more creature comforts, the longer boat may improve those characteristics. In the north area - depreciation on used boats like these is pretty minimal - so the cost to own for a few years would be fairly protected.

It's my feeling there are other glass tillers that perform very well too. Yar Craft 1895 BT, Warrior as you mentioned, and Lund all make very respectable tillers.

The tiller market has been pretty blessed for many years, not much to stay away from for the last 10 years. If you get to that 10-20 year old boat, the motor considerations are more significant. I'd be more concerned with motor choices, steering systems, than hull considerations.

Have fun deciding! It's a fun process, enjoy it. Enjoy the time you have to fish with your father, it's a special time that does not last forever. I don't get to spend time with either my father or father-in-law, but those are special memories that will last forever.
Old 06-18-2018, 04:45 PM
Wallhanger

As a FYI Skeeter has dropped their tiller line.

I run a 20' tiller with a 115 hp Yamaha and it does everything I need it to do. Very happy with it and would recommend it to anybody.
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2018, 05:20 PM
Wallhanger

thanks guys, appreciate your thoughts