Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Ranger 621 steep ramp launch and load - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 08-28-2019, 10:29 PM
Wallhanger

Default Ranger 621 steep ramp launch and load

Was up at Devils lake a few weeks ago (stayed at Lakeview Lodge-Fantastic place by the way) they have REALLY done it right....Would recommend to anyone...

Anyway...I had my Z119 and had to fenagle it onto my trailer as the Lakeview ramp was steep and shallow and I had bunks…I'd get it close to the wench roller, then pull the truck forward to get the boat to hang a bit to raise the nose, and my son would finish power loading while I cranked the wench..no biggie...we got pretty good at it

Anyway so what did I do? I came home and bought a 621 ...I'm having it rigged now and started wondering about that problem I was having on that ramp. I bought the 621 mainly for Northern Lakes so I'm anticipating some potential for this when travelling north. Down here we have man made lakes so we don't ever encounter that problem...but up there with natural lakes, Ill maybe possibly see more of this kind of thing

So my question....It appears there is a roller in front of the bunks on the new trailer. Is that to keep the nose up on a steep ramp?? should I have a sliding TM bracket to be to able move the TM out of the way so at least if the nose drops it wont damage the trolling motor?

It wasn't so bad with my bass boat, but this 621 is a tank! I'm not sure how much of that strong arming I can get away with on it

Appreciate your thoughts.

thanks

Last edited by kswalleyer; 08-28-2019 at 10:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2019, 12:40 AM
Slot Fish

I had the front roller on a couple previous trailers, Warrior said it was for dry launches, I tried to crank it off the bunks, IMO it was B'S. Back it in deep enough to float it off!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Old 08-29-2019, 05:21 AM
Super Moderator

To answer the question about the quick release mount for your TM....yes, you should give yourself that option to slide the TM back if needed, so buying a quick release mount that slides is a smart move.

You might also look into the Drotto Latch. I don't have one personally, but have seen them at launches and I can see that product helping you out a lot in those situations.

http://www.drottoproducts.com
NPAA#89

Supporting Vendor
Guide (Lake Erie Western Basin)
JulsWalleyeFishingAdventures.com

2019 Ranger 621 FS
300 G2
15 ETEC Kicker
112 Ulterra w/iPilot LINK
Humminbird Helix 12 MEGA SI CHIRP Gen3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2019, 06:29 AM
Wallhanger

thanks guys. MT, I was trying to float it on/off but in that situation the nose of the boat wants to be below the front roller, when it needs to be on top. so it drops and hits the trolling motor at unload or is below the roller at load. Ill add the sliding plate and latch for sure. will at least protect the TM. Guess I can go to more public ramps where I may not run into that as much
Old 08-29-2019, 07:45 AM
Wallhanger

I was on the Rainy River this spring and the ramp we were on was fairly steep with lots of sideways flowing current. Here is what I recommend for you as I run a 621 also. Get a Drotto!!!!! Back the trailer in so just about 6-8" of the centering keel bunks are out of the water, drive the boat up onto the bunks and latch the bow. Then slowly have the driver pull the trailer out and the boat will center on the trailer. It is that simple as these Ranger Trail trailers load very easily. PM me is you need more info.
NPAA #950
Fish On!
Old 08-29-2019, 08:06 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by black white face View Post
I was on the Rainy River this spring and the ramp we were on was fairly steep with lots of sideways flowing current. Here is what I recommend for you as I run a 621 also. Get a Drotto!!!!! Back the trailer in so just about 6-8" of the centering keel bunks are out of the water, drive the boat up onto the bunks and latch the bow. Then slowly have the driver pull the trailer out and the boat will center on the trailer. It is that simple as these Ranger Trail trailers load very easily. PM me is you need more info.
done!

Juls said same. with my son in college, I fish a fair amount by myself, now so I load a fair amount by myself. should probably have it for that reason too. older I get the less hassle I want.

thanks for your thoughts.

Last edited by kswalleyer; 08-29-2019 at 08:08 AM.
Old 08-29-2019, 08:12 AM
Wallhanger

I fish alone and the Drotto latch is the best thing I ever bought for my boat and trailer.
I have had it about three years.
My only regret is that I didn't buy it many years ago.
Old 08-29-2019, 11:27 AM
Keeper

After reading this I'm considering getting one for a new 621cFS I've got on order and should have in early October.

Which Drotto are you guys using for the Ranger 621 series? I see they have a few options:

1) One model for trailers with 3 3/4" or 4" bow rollers
2) The same as above but with a roller added for additional protection
3) A model for 3" bow rollers for Rangers and Stratos. The Ranger model comes with a roller like # 2.

Their website specifies # 3 or the 3" model for Ranger boats but I'm thinking that might be for Ranger bass boats.
Old 08-29-2019, 12:34 PM
Wallhanger

Default Ranger 621 steep ramp launch and load

You want the model that fits a 3 wide pedestal

I would recommend the model with the rollers

I have attached a couple pics of the model I have

I also dropped my bow eyelet to allow me to use the winch strap to tightly secure when transporting

The roads here in SD are horrendous and this prevents any bouncing or bow movement on the Teflon pad.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...7f758cad04.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...836d3f1f34.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NPAA #950
Fish On!

Last edited by black white face; 08-29-2019 at 12:36 PM.
Old 08-29-2019, 12:53 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by black white face View Post
You want the model that fits a 3” wide pedestal

I would recommend the model with the rollers

I have attached a couple pics of the model I have

I also dropped my bow eyelet to allow me to use the winch strap to tightly secure when transporting

The roads here in SD are horrendous and this prevents any bouncing or bow movement on the Teflon pad.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...7f758cad04.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...836d3f1f34.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perfect, thanks!!! Has anyone considered and/or tried putting some trailer bunk carpet on the Teflon pad? Just an anal thought but it seems that might help protect the finish on the bow a little more than the Teflon pad.