Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Is Technology somewhat to blame for the problems that seem to be arising in Wis/MN? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 11-26-2019, 07:14 PM
Wallhanger

Default Is Technology somewhat to blame for the problems that seem to be arising in Wis/MN?

I see the thread about WIS and Minnesota with declines and 4 fish limits. I'm not there so cant speak to what the DNR is doing, but I read where the water is warming and hurting more of the walleye fishing in southern range habitat, Parts of WIS are maybe over fished? I think I heard it was side imaging that found a group of big fish up on Devils lake in August that won the NWT?...those fish very well may not have been found 10 years ago...

In waterfowling, clearly spinners had an impact(made a lot of bad duck hunters good)..... I know some use the technology better than others but Do you think all the new technology(Sonor, side imaging, 360, etc) is having an impact as well? I know my use of electronics is DRAMATICALLY different than 10 years ago. I don't look up from my screens for hours at a time...some times even spoon feeding the fish on down imaging....

Last edited by kswalleyer; 11-26-2019 at 07:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2019, 07:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kswalleyer View Post
I see the thread about WIS and Minnesota with declines and 4 fish limits. I'm not there so cant speak to what the DNR is doing, but I read where the water is warming and hurting more of the walleye fishing in southern range habitat, Parts of WIS are maybe over fished? I think I heard it was side imaging that found a group of big fish up on Devils lake in August that won the NWT?...those fish very well may not have been found 10 years ago...

In waterfowling, clearly spinners had an impact(made a lot of bad duck hunters good)..... I know some use the technology better than others but Do you think all the new technology(Sonor, side imaging, 360, etc) is having an impact as well?
All technology has an impact on the sport of fishing. In your example, that same group of fish may not have been found if we were still using row boats, cane poles and cat gut line.

As for the waterfowling example; What percentage increase in harvest is attributed to "spinners"?

Last edited by Huntindave; 11-26-2019 at 07:27 PM.
Old 11-26-2019, 07:39 PM
Wallhanger

you heard "side imaging" found those fish because those guys knew their sponsor would love to hear that
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2019, 07:42 PM
Wallhanger

I think the technology of the internet and social media have probably had the biggest impact. Electronics, not so much or even close. I'd guess the vast majority of fish almost anywhere are still caught on dumb luck or chance, with or without electronics. The Devil's lake fish you speak of. What would have the biggest impact? Someone finding them with electronic and catching/releasing them during a tournament, or even keeping them recreationally and keeping it to themselves, OR someone finding them by dumb luck or chance and posting the spot all over the internet? Hands down, #2.
Old 11-26-2019, 07:57 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntindave View Post
All technology has an impact on the sport of fishing. In your example, that same group of fish may not have been found if we were still using row boats, cane poles and cat gut line.

As for the waterfowling example; What percentage increase in harvest is attributed to "spinners"?
this is a seemingly distinguished group of state and federal waterfowl biologist etc in an 8 hour discussion talking about the state of the central flyway. if I understood it correctly, they discuss scientific data that there was something like a 5-15X increased vulnerability of young ducks and particlarly hens decoying to spinners....33X more vulnerable in fields. I think MN banned them for 5 years? I saw it first hand for years before finally starting to use them to compete.

https://youtu.be/iXY8T0U7bF8

https://youtu.be/OUR74FLZrOc

Last edited by kswalleyer; 11-26-2019 at 08:07 PM.
Old 11-26-2019, 07:57 PM
Charter Member

To be clear, the MN 4 fish limit has from the very start been a discussion brought about by stake holders, not the DNR, with the reasoning that technology and social media impacts may very well not be known until it has become a problem. I'm in the group that says social media probably even more than technology. Someone shares a hot bite, and large numbers of anglers show up fast. But I thought it would be valuable to disclose it was a stakeholder in the Walleye Input Group that first brought the 4 fish limit for discussion, and that group discussed it extensively before it ever made it into the MN DNR bill for legislators to discuss. A proactive approach vs reactive. fwiw.
Old 11-26-2019, 08:04 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom Eyes View Post
I think the technology of the internet and social media have probably had the biggest impact. Electronics, not so much or even close. I'd guess the vast majority of fish almost anywhere are still caught on dumb luck or chance, with or without electronics. The Devil's lake fish you speak of. What would have the biggest impact? Someone finding them with electronic and catching/releasing them during a tournament, or even keeping them recreationally and keeping it to themselves, OR someone finding them by dumb luck or chance and posting the spot all over the internet? Hands down, #2.
I use that as an example of the impact had those fish being taken and not released...not that they did that, I doubt it but don't know.
Old 11-26-2019, 08:11 PM
Wallhanger

Of course it has an effect from the beginning the boat, the motor, the tackle, the depth finders, and the modern electronics. I hope that the money we pay for fishing licenses, permits and the money collected by enforcement helps fund the Scientific and economical decisions to sustain our resources for future generations. What we must do as sportsman is help embrace these decisions for the good of all and not the benefit of a few. Many fish have been introduced to satisfy a group that favors one kind of fishing rather than what is best for the fishery. The invasive species problems I fear will only get worse and change will occur like it or not. The climate change train has already left the station whether we believe it or not I doubt that much can be done to correct our past mistakes but hopefully we can learn from our mistakes.
Old 11-26-2019, 08:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kswalleyer View Post
this is a seemingly distinguished group of state and federal waterfowl biologist etc in an 8 hour discussion talking about the state of the central flyway. if I understood it correctly, they discuss scientific data that there was something like a 5-15X increased vulnerability of young ducks and particlarly hens decoying....33X more vulnerable in fields. I think MN banned them for 5 years? I saw it first hand for years before finally starting to use them to compete.

https://youtu.be/iXY8T0U7bF8

https://youtu.be/OUR74FLZrOc
More ducks decoying does not directly correlate to actual harvest. I asked about the increase percentage of actual harvest. Harvest limits are in place to control total harvest. If the total harvest had increased the percentages shown above, we would have seen either a reduction of daily limits and or a reduction of available license issued.
Old 11-26-2019, 08:27 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntindave View Post
More ducks decoying does not directly correlate to actual harvest. I asked about the increase percentage of actual harvest. Harvest limits are in place to control total harvest. If the total harvest had increased the percentages shown above, we would have seen either a reduction of daily limits and or a reduction of available license issued.
that I don't know, clearly bag limits are different now than 87-94...but more birds as well...my point was if technology made it easier, does it lead to higher harvest as more people who may not get that harvest without technology get that harvest with it......In my experience, I do think more ducks are killed by 35mph NW winds accompanying wet cold fronts than spinners!! ...Well see tomorrow!!

I like these conversations, I think our jobs as sportsmen and women are to protect all of these resources and advocate for them.

Last edited by kswalleyer; 11-26-2019 at 08:32 PM.