Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Seasickness on Erie - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 05-17-2020, 11:40 AM
Wallhanger

Default Seasickness on Erie

I'm taking my two sons on weekend Lake Eire trip, going out with a captain. I've never done this before so I'm not totally sure what to expect. Neither of us are particularly susceptible to motion sickness (at least I don't think so), but I'd hate to get out there and find out too late that we should have taken Dramamine or another product. From what I know, once you start feeling queasy, it's too late and you just have to suffer through it, so I was thinking it would be a good idea to take something in advance, just to make sure. I've heard Dramamine can make you super drowsy for a long time so I'd like to avoid that.

So my questions are:
  1. Do you think it's necessary to take something? When we get closer to the date I'll talk to the captain to see how far out we'll likely be going. I'd think that as long as we can see land we'd be okay.
  2. What's a good, non-drowsy alternative to Dramamine?
Traxxis
HB 999hd SI
HB 858c
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2020, 11:45 AM
Wallhanger

My wife and I went out a couple years ago with Juls and we had to take her back due to seasickness. When we took cruises she had patches that she put behind her ear. They are an RX item so you will need a prescription.
Old 05-17-2020, 11:54 AM
Wallhanger

Meclizine 25mg works well for my wife's Vertigo. It is available OTC. We fish Lake Oahe a lot and no matter how rough it gets she has no problem with seasickness.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2020, 12:00 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark R View Post
My wife and I went out a couple years ago with Juls and we had to take her back due to seasickness.
That's odd. I'd have thought Juls would have gotten used to the motion by now.
Traxxis
HB 999hd SI
HB 858c
Old 05-17-2020, 12:03 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnhzkr View Post
😂😂🤣🤣 thats how I read it the first time
Old 05-17-2020, 02:20 PM
Wallhanger

They make a non-drowsy Dramamine (ginger based).

One of my boys gets sick if it's rough out. I give him children's Dramamine and it does wonders for him.

For adults, I prescribe a couple beers.

"If you're wise enough to wear a seatbelt in your truck.....you're wise enough to wear a life jacket in your boat....." (B-man)

Grady White 208 Hard-top 200 Yami
Lund Pro V 1660 60 HP Merc
Pro-Line 24 wa 250 Verado (sold)
Lund 186 Tyee 175 Verado (sold)
Ram 2500 Cummins
Old 05-17-2020, 03:26 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Hehehe....

I'm good in the Ranger, but put me on any bigger boat where the motion is different and I will get queezy. The bigger the boat the worse I am. The car ferry makes me seasick. lol

But, in my boat....I'm good.

I tell my clients if you think you may get seasick...take a Dramamine the night before (helps you sleep too) and a again in the morning before breakfast.

If you want a non drowsy formula for the second dose...Dramamine has one...
https://www.amazon.com/Dramamine-Non.../dp/B00SD9IE9O
NPAA#89

Supporting Vendor
Guide (Lake Erie Western Basin)
JulsWalleyeFishingAdventures.com

2019 Ranger 621 FS
300 G2
15 ETEC Kicker
112 Ulterra w/iPilot LINK
Humminbird Helix 12 MEGA SI CHIRP Gen3
Old 05-17-2020, 05:31 PM
Keeper

Quote:
I'm taking my two sons on weekend Lake Eire trip, going out with a captain. I've never done this before so I'm not totally sure what to expect. Neither of us are particularly susceptible to motion sickness (at least I don't think so), but I'd hate to get out there and find out too late that we should have taken Dramamine or another product. From what I know, once you start feeling queasy, it's too late and you just have to suffer through it, so I was thinking it would be a good idea to take something in advance, just to make sure. I've heard Dramamine can make you super drowsy for a long time so I'd like to avoid that.

So my questions are:
  1. Do you think it's necessary to take something? When we get closer to the date I'll talk to the captain to see how far out we'll likely be going. I'd think that as long as we can see land we'd be okay.
  2. What's a good, non-drowsy alternative to Dramamine?
We fish the Pacific pretty regularly. Dramamine and the patches (scopolamine), have significant side effects , I don't care for either, and try to avoid them. Last year my 23 year old son who had never been sea sick prior, came up to me white as a ghost and said he wasn't feeling well. Tom, the deck hand came up and asked him which was his dominate hand, when he said right, Tom fished in his pocket for a foam ear plug, and told him to put it in his left ear. I literally watched the color come back into my sons face and within five minutes he had his rod back in his hand. Would not have believed it if I hadn't seen it.
Old 05-17-2020, 05:37 PM
Minnow

Definitely too late to take anything once you start feeling sick. I’m very susceptible to motion sickness so I take Dramamine an hour before I launch. Even if it does make you a little drowsy, that’s way better than suffering through what otherwise would be a memorable day on the water.
Old 05-17-2020, 06:38 PM
Wallhanger

Why chance it? I spend hundreds of hours a year on Erie and Ontario and still get sea sick, last year i went to the Walmart in Port Clinton and the pharmacist advised me NOT to buy Gravol as he said it is not a very good drug to take, steered me toward the Dramamine (which is what i usually buy and stock up on since i can't get it in Canada) Take one first thing in the morning when you get up (non drowsy) and hopefully you will be good and have an enjoyable trip.

YouTube...Jim Lyon Fishing