Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
anybody running an Ultrex on walleye boat ? - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 08-10-2020, 06:55 PM
Wallhanger

thanks for all the input, I'm sold.
4 Rivers Refuge Runners/PPF Woodduck Mud Motors
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2020, 09:31 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kswalleyer View Post
I'm seriously considering getting rid of my ulterra. In open water trolling it is awesome, but in my multi species world, I spend a lot of time in the front of my boat, closer to shore and really miss cable drive steering in a lot of situations. I don't like spending much time on the ulterra foot pedal. It wears me out. To me, its just too busy and unresponsive compared to what I'm used to with a Fortrex on my other boat and 30 years of cable steer experience. Of course when I'm open water trolling, pulling boards, bottom bouncing the bass boat is in the garage.

My clown feet are constantly hitting multiple buttons, changing the mode and me having to concentrate on the TM instead of fishing. I can(and have many times) run down the same bank 2-3X more efficiently in my bass boat. Part of that is because the bass boat is built as an awesome flipping and casting platform, but part of that is because I don't have to ever look down at the pedal or TM head, fight the pedal lack of feel etc.

anyway, It appears with the Ultrex , I can do anything in the open water with the Ultrex that I can with the Ulterra, but I can do a lot more with the Ultrex in closer to shore. I get that I wont have eletronic deploy and stow, electronic trim..but with Ultrex I would have spot lock, I'd be able to steer the TM from anywhere in the boat so can 4WD troll....really that's all I want out of a TM off shore..spot lock, remote steer and speed control of TM.

Am I on track? Is the 60" TM shaft enough ?

Thanks for your thoughts
it would be great if they could add auto stow/deploy to that somehow. I like the stow feature but also hate the slow responsiveness of the ulterra.
Ultera
Kicker
Smartcraft
Zipwakes
Old 10-08-2020, 12:33 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kswalleyer View Post
there are times I want my 621 to handle a bit more like a bass boat when I'm upfront...not flooded timber bass boat, but very intuitive and almost and extension of my body bass boat. I can run it blindfolded. For that I think the Ultrex is really tough to beat, especially when I'm fishing a bank a 1/4 mile down a shore line close in and able to turn on a dime.

Other times I want to be off shore trolling, vertical fishing....structure, flats, whatever

I think the Ultrex gives me the best of both of those worlds...

Kinda like precision rifles..always chasing perfection....
I'm a little late to the party but I've been running an Ultrex on my 621 Pro FS since last November. 60" shaft, 36v and I've also got Mega 360 mounted on the Ultrex and connected to the bow mounted 12" Solix. 60" shaft and Mega 360 have been working great. Had both out in 1' rollers last weekend and I had zero issues. 2 footers will bring the head out of the water but at that point I'm going to the kicker or big motor. I had a Terrova and I hated the foot pedal on that thing. Ultrex is working great and the foot pedal is so much easier to operate. If you pulled the trigger already I'm sure you're going to love it!