Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Revolution 4 prop on Ranger Angler series - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 04-11-2018, 09:16 AM
Wallhanger

Default Revolution 4 prop on Ranger Angler series

Ranger seems to rig the Tempest to these boats with any black engine. With the 200 Verado they rig a 19p. I am thinking that I would like a Rev 4 for better boat control etc. Research shows that the Rev 4 needs to drop 2 pitch to match a std 3 blade. I had it on my order, but Ranger said no way that they would rig this way as it would overrev. I don't buy it and am quite certain that it would be fine.

I see Roberston Marine out in SLC rigs the rev 4 and they also do a 8" manual setback plate. Curious if anyone here has any firsthand experience with either of these two items?
Solix 12 G1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2018, 11:15 AM
Wallhanger

I can let you know if the 8" jackplate I had installed helps on my 1880, when it shows up of course.
We may have discussed this before but I'm hoping the additional setback can increase bow lift. I also want the ability to easily raise and lower my motor. In my opinion, the 1880 needs a bow lifting prop for best speed. I think that's why Ranger seems to rig the Tempest Plus from factory. I personally would see how your boat runs with the factory recommended setup. I over revved my 17P Tempest with merc 150 4st, not sure how much harder Rev 4 would be to turn. I was also planning on demoing a 17P Rev 4 this year.

Last edited by jjy; 04-11-2018 at 11:17 AM.
Old 04-11-2018, 12:14 PM
Keeper

While not an Angler, I bought my '16 1850 Reata from Robertsons in SLC.
It came with a 17p Tempest but I already owned that exact prop.
I swapped it for a Rev4 in 15p, kept the Tempest as a spare, and have been extremely pleased with the Rev4.
Disclaimer: I fish between 5k-9k asl.
Hope this helps?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2018, 12:55 PM
Wallhanger

Thanks for the feedback guys.

JJY,

I'm not sure what will happen with mine, but dealer mentioned about delivering and breaking in with Tempest and possibly sending a Rev 4 with me to try. If I do end up with both props I would gladly let you try it although I'm not up enough on how the fit is with the 150 versus the Verado gearcase?

I was originally thinking that I wanted as short a jack plate as possible, but I do see the advantage of not only bow lift, but opening up the splashwell area a bit.

FWIW the Verado has a 5800-6400 target where the 150 is 5,000-5800 The gear ratios are also different with Verado being 2.08 and the 150 1.92

sbennett,

Interesting to see that the 15p is also acceptable. What is your peak cruise RPM? Do you see any difference between 5k and 9k or does the supercharger compensate? In my experience the "off boost" areas suffer, but once on boost the peak HP is pretty consistent.
Solix 12 G1

Last edited by Diesel Pro; 04-11-2018 at 01:01 PM.
Old 04-11-2018, 01:15 PM
Keeper

I am in the minority and ordered mine with the 175 ProXS cuz I love the torque of big 2 strokes. It doesn't hurt that I also get crazy good fuel mileage.
I run the Rev4 at all my usual haunts but when I go to Lake Powell I switch to the Tempest.
The Rev runs out to 5600-5900 at my usual spots.
The Tempest at Powell runs out to 5600.
Boat is equipped with Honda 5 kicker and 24 v Ulterra.
Old 04-12-2018, 07:51 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Pro View Post
Thanks for the feedback guys.

JJY,

I'm not sure what will happen with mine, but dealer mentioned about delivering and breaking in with Tempest and possibly sending a Rev 4 with me to try. If I do end up with both props I would gladly let you try it although I'm not up enough on how the fit is with the 150 versus the Verado gearcase?

I was originally thinking that I wanted as short a jack plate as possible, but I do see the advantage of not only bow lift, but opening up the splashwell area a bit.

FWIW the Verado has a 5800-6400 target where the 150 is 5,000-5800 The gear ratios are also different with Verado being 2.08 and the 150 1.92

sbennett,

Interesting to see that the 15p is also acceptable. What is your peak cruise RPM? Do you see any difference between 5k and 9k or does the supercharger compensate? In my experience the "off boost" areas suffer, but once on boost the peak HP is pretty consistent.
I think you should definitely run the 19P Tempest Plus to get a baseline. If you use Mercury's Online slip calculator, you should be hitting 50mph@6400rpm. That is using 10% slip that I have seen on my setup with the 19P Tempest Plus. I'm thinking if you were lightly loaded, you would be touching the rev limiter as I was with my 17P Tempest. Hard to say until you run the boat. What top speed are you expecting, or would you be happy with? Did you order your boat with a Smartcraft setup for engine data?
Old 04-12-2018, 08:13 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbennett View Post
I am in the minority and ordered mine with the 175 ProXS cuz I love the torque of big 2 strokes.
I saw 175 and just assumed. Sounds like a well dialed in setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjy View Post
I think you should definitely run the 19P Tempest Plus to get a baseline. If you use Mercury's Online slip calculator, you should be hitting 50mph@6400rpm. That is using 10% slip that I have seen on my setup with the 19P Tempest Plus. I'm thinking if you were lightly loaded, you would be touching the rev limiter as I was with my 17P Tempest. Hard to say until you run the boat. What top speed are you expecting, or would you be happy with? Did you order your boat with a Smartcraft setup for engine data?

Dkrum has the 200 vrod and 19P tempest and runs 49 mph at I believe 6200. I believe that the 17p Rev 4 will lose 4-5 mph but gain control and feel like none other from what I am told.

I'm torn between a 17p and having Janacky rework it to potentially drop RPM or a 19p and having Brainerd bring RPM up.

I am adding the Merc Monitor level 2 for my Smartcraft. Ranger and my dealer could not get their act together to provide accurate info so I ordered from European Marine.
Solix 12 G1
Old 04-12-2018, 11:50 AM
Wallhanger

I don't feel I'm lacking in control with my Tempest Plus and I can be on plane down to around 18-20mph, but I haven't ran a Rev 4 to compare. Will be interesting to see if I can pick up any speed with jackplate on my 150. Hopefully I'll get closer to what the 200 does on top end although I'm sure the 150 lacks on holeshot. I just picked up a vessel view mobile. I'll be getting some numbers soon.
Old 04-12-2018, 02:47 PM
Charter Member

I'm not on a Ranger, but I see a 400 rpm difference on my 21P Temest - 21P Rev 4 is 400 RPM less. Maybe 300 RPM less.

In my case, the 21P Tempest has me right on the top of the RPM band, so I'd like to drop just 1 pitch on the Rev 4, or try a Bravo instead.

I'll say this - fuel efficiency is tremendously better with my Rev 4 and gallons per hour at similar cruising speeds. 25-30% better fuel efficiency.

The prop characteristics are extremely different. The Rev 4 has really good stern lifting characteristics. My boat rides really high in the water at speed, but still leaves the bow close enough to cut the waves. The Tempest lifts the bow so high, that not much of a wave slaps on the boat bottom pretty hard. The Tempest has too much bow lift for my boat.

They are extremely different props.
Old 04-12-2018, 03:05 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burr View Post
I'm not on a Ranger, but I see a 400 rpm difference on my 21P Temest - 21P Rev 4 is 400 RPM less. Maybe 300 RPM less.

In my case, the 21P Tempest has me right on the top of the RPM band, so I'd like to drop just 1 pitch on the Rev 4, or try a Bravo instead.

I'll say this - fuel efficiency is tremendously better with my Rev 4 and gallons per hour at similar cruising speeds. 25-30% better fuel efficiency.

The prop characteristics are extremely different. The Rev 4 has really good stern lifting characteristics. My boat rides really high in the water at speed, but still leaves the bow close enough to cut the waves. The Tempest lifts the bow so high, that not much of a wave slaps on the boat bottom pretty hard. The Tempest has too much bow lift for my boat.

They are extremely different props.
Curious how the holeshot and top speed compare. Does the Rev 4 make the motor labor or does it get right up? Have you tried raising the mounting up a hole or 2 with the Rev 4?
Solix 12 G1