Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
On board charger recommendation - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 05-26-2020, 06:33 PM
Wallhanger

Dual Pro Professional Series are without a doubt the best charger on the market. When my boat's not out fishing, the charger is plugged in and charging the batteries. I leave it plugged in all winter, and not had any battery issues. I have had 3 chargers on 3 boats that have lasted for several years. I know that if my charger dies, it can actually be sent in and repaired.

I tore a wire while doing an installation a few years ago. I called and they took care of me immediately. Their Customer Service was fantastic.
Mercury Marine Enertia 14-5/8 x 16 Pitch SS 3 blade prop (5700 RPM's WOT/ 46.2 MPH)
OMC Tech Series Gauges
Stupid people die first then they come back again as beer cans....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2020, 08:26 AM
Keeper

Stick with a name brand such as those mentioned here and you’ll be fine.

Specifically, what battery type and sizes (amp hour, reserve capacity, etc) are you planning to run on this charger? One cranking battery and one TM battery?

I’ve had good luck with one Dual Pro recreational series (non-repairable if I recall) and two Minn-Kota chargers. My current charger is a 3 year old MK 330PC. Works great and is plugged in 365 days a year. If it fails, I’ll buy it again or look in to Dual Pro.
Old 05-29-2020, 07:45 AM
Wallhanger

I like my MK charger.

Keep in mind that charge time is more impacted by battery type than charger output. AGM batteries charge much faster than wet cells.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2020, 07:59 PM
Minnow

Default I went with the MK 330D

I needed a 3 bank charger last year. The reason I went with MinnKota was as I read the reviews especially on 2-3 year old chargers, people generally were pleased with the functionality of their selection. However, then I read further that after 2-3 years some function would fail. MK did not seem to have that issue; hence my purchase.
My boat is a 2006 Ranger and so the original which I replaced lasted a lot more than 3 years. BTW, the reason it failed is that when I took the boat out in November in Wisconsin, the weather was freezing and the wind kept driver water onto the back of the boat so everything was 'waterlogged'. (I know, stupid timing) I put the boat in my unheated garage, in spring the battery compartments were still covered in ice.
Old 05-30-2020, 08:21 AM
Wallhanger

In my last 2 boats I have had GREAT luck with ProMariner onboard chargers.....they have many different models to choose from depending on your needs. I would get another one if need be.

And from all the different posts here, it sounds like the luck of the draw when it comes to reliability with any of these units.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/boat...6.uts?slotId=2

https://www.cabelas.com/product/boat....uts?slotId=13
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Old 05-30-2020, 06:07 PM
Minnow

I have had great luck with MK 2 bank 15 amp. I like simplicity of the indicators and have had 3 different ones on different boats and have never had an issue. They are heavy suckers though!
Old 06-01-2020, 12:07 PM
Slot Fish

My experiences.
Last Ranger had Dual Pro 4 bank for 8 years. Only problem was one bank had LEDs that appeared to melt the plastic above them.

Brand new Ranger a week ago with Dual Pro 4 bank. Bank two was not functioning the first time it was plugged in to charge the batteries. Called Dual Pro, they sent me a return authorization but I am to pay the freight both ways. Dual Pro informed about a 17 day turnaround. Who can afford a 17 day turn around in the middle of fishing season. I rather get a new one and be back on the water quickly.

Contacted my dealer today as I wasn't willing to send in the bad one, a new charger will be Fed X'd to me and a return authorization label for the bad one. Great support from my dealer.
Old 06-01-2020, 12:56 PM
Keeper

Dual Pro.

Not only for performance, but if things do go wrong they are far superior in customer service. They once sent me a brand new charger even though mine was out of warranty.

I have had the exact opposite experience with Johnson Outdoors for both Minn Kota and Humminbird products.
Old 06-05-2020, 06:31 PM
Wallhanger

Whenever an onboard battery charger needs to be replaced on a boat I always buy a Cabelas Pro Series Charger. I have never had an issue with one.
https://www.cabelas.com/category/Cab.../112157280.uts
Cabela's Pro Series Battery Chargers

Our newest line of Heavy Duty Recreational On-Board Marine Battery Chargers. The all new Pro Series incorporates microprocessor and software control for charge profile that includes 5 sequential stages: Analyzing, Charging, Conditioning, Auto Maintain (energy saving mode) and a once-a-month Storage Recondition mode that is safe for short- and long-term storage. This process will not only enhance the performance of all 12 volt flooded and AGM lead acid batteries, it will extend life of batteries.
Old 06-11-2020, 09:30 PM
Wallhanger

I think those cabelas brand made by pro mariner? are on clearance. I am sure bass pro wants to sell their brand charger.